old galvanized steel pipe repair.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old galvanized steel pipe repair.

The problem with old galvanized lines is the fact that you try to make a quick repair in one area the next thing you know its leaking at the next joint down the line. I did a jod once where I tried to do one section and by the time I was done the whole house had to be replaced.
    Good luck
    And roberts method is the best way even though I havent had any real problems using dialectric unions myself I have seen some that have failed

Comment

The repair went fine. I cut a pipe, and then backed off a fitting, then threaded an adapter onto the old pipe with lots of teflon wrap...done, no leaks.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Glad the job went fine . Any bets on how much longer it will be before you are there replacing more of the pipes for the cheapskate?

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
          Glad the job went fine . Any bets on how much longer it will be before you are there replacing more of the pipes for the cheapskate?
          These are the jobs I feel bad on, you give them a band-aid, they call 6 months later for another band-aid...and so on, and so on...they can't afford the full deal, I feel bad for charging each time...goes round and round.
          In the end, we make out, they lose...if they're just cheap it really isn't cheap over time, if they're broke, they're really broke.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            These are the jobs I feel bad on, you give them a band-aid, they call 6 months later for another band-aid...and so on, and so on...they can't afford the full deal, I feel bad for charging each time...goes round and round.
            In the end, we make out, they lose...if they're just cheap it really isn't cheap over time, if they're broke, they're really broke.
            I agree a lot of times it is just easier to cure the "cancer" than to kill the individual "tumor" but where do you stop once you have done a complete repipe! "I am sorry Ma'am but even though we told you it was going to be 1 million dollars.... well we decided to just fix everything now so it is going to be 1.5 mil."

Does anyone do payment plans for some people. I would never trust a doctor or lawyer in this fashion but you know the guy that works for the town and really cant afford $7,000 for a new boiler but without it he doesnt have heat for the winter? I know some big outfits do but how about the small ones? Like on the install pay for all material then break down labor into payments say $300 a month or so?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post

Does anyone do payment plans for some people. I would never trust a doctor or lawyer in this fashion but you know the guy that works for the town and really cant afford $7,000 for a new boiler but without it he doesnt have heat for the winter? I know some big outfits do but how about the small ones? Like on the install pay for all material then break down labor into payments say $300 a month or so?
              99% of my work is c.o.d. If in advance a returning customer asks for time to pay I will most likely work with them but I cant take payments over months, if they needed a week or two to pay I will cater to them. I also accept credit cards so that is always my first response to them. usually that is the solution. If they are maxed out on their cards they probably can't afford to pay me anyway.

Comment

I agree a lot of times it is just easier to cure the "cancer" than to kill the individual "tumor" but where do you stop once you have done a complete repipe! "I am sorry Ma'am but even though we told you it was going to be 1 million dollars.... well we decided to just fix everything now so it is going to be 1.5 mil."

The oil company tried to sell me a WH using an installment plan. Don't remember the details, because I didn't go with them ($3400 for an oil-fired WH vs. $1800 for just upgrading the existing EK1's tank to 80 gallons); and don't like debt except for cars and the house. MP's suggestion about CC's seems like the best out. The other thing I would think is that I know some contractors have a deal with the bank where they basically pass-through the credit apps so they aren't the ones extending credit themselves.

Comment

Very good question. Maybe you should start a new thread in the business section.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

NO, NO , NO!

some contractors finance remodel & home improvements.
                    My thinking is if your credit won't allow you to get get financing on your own, why am I going to finance you?

Comment

The sign on my truck says Plumbing & Heating not Savings & Loan

Comment

Working...
                      X