X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old galvanized steel pipe repair.

Tomorrow I have to run some new water lines and connect to some old 1/2" galvy.

Should I:
    a) cut the existing galv. pipe and try to cut new threads on to it.

b) attempt to take an old fitting/pipe threaded joint apart without damaging it.

or c) Use the cheesy compression couplings as a last resort.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: old galvanized steel pipe repair.

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

Should I:

b) attempt to take an old fitting/pipe threaded joint apart without damaging it.

Oh man, go to the next fitting and cut it about 5" from the fitting, take a pipe wrench and turn. remove the old section of pipe, install a 6" brass nipple and a copper fip. all done.

never use dielectrics, I have seen them fail time and time again.

G couplings are never a long term fitting. notify the customer

I never re-threaded old galv water pipe, nor would I ever. I can only imagine the quality of the threads I would end up with.

Don't forget on option one, back your fitting up to make sure you don't spin anything else in the system, nothing worse then getting the water on to find a leak down the line.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Should I:

I know pretty much nothing about plumbing, although I did snake some pipe once with one of those portable drill snakes. From what little I do know, and if it was my pipe, I'd probably look for B first, then A, then C.

Then again, those cheesy compression couplings might give a nice fit. I dunno. I always like using the "latch onto the original" route, and then go from there.......
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        Oh man, go to the next fitting and cut it about 5" from the fitting, take a pipe wrench and turn. remove the old section of pipe, install a 6" brass nipple and a copper fip. all done.

I never re-threaded old galv water pipe, nor would I ever. I can only imagine the quality of the threads I would end up with.
        Ehhhh....on second thought........what he said???
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I attempted answer (B) in teh past and had joints so frozen that the pipe crushed under my wrench befoer the joint broke apart. But still, I will try (B) again as Robert suggested...maybe use a torch to heat the fitting first.

Comment

d) remove as much of that crap as possible, inform the customer that future constriction & leaks will slowly chip away at their budget as opposed to getting it all out now.

I've had to use dresser couplings (with the local inspectors approval) as a last resort on old galvy when the wall of the pipe was so thin the was no possible way to thread it...be sure to take a dresser or two with you just in case...clamp both pipes on either side to keep them from seperating, be sure to tell the customer it's not intended as a longterm fix...if it boils down to that.

Comment

I like Robert's fix, but Hey, where's the epoxy liner guy?

I think we horrified and humiliated him and he went away.
              sigpic

Comment

I attempted answer (B) in teh past and had joints so frozen that the pipe crushed under my wrench befoer the joint broke apart. But still, I will try (B) again as Robert suggested...maybe use a torch to heat the fitting first.

If that pipe crushes under your pipe wrench, you should be replacing all the lines
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hence my post above, in my area any galvy still around is likely 50+ years...I wouldn't bet on being able to thread a nipple into a fitting, although it's the better idea, I'd have a couple of dressers on hand just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I like Robert's fix, but Hey, where's the epoxy liner guy?

I think we horrified and humiliated him and he went away.
                    Oh yes, there's a solution...fill an already constricted 3/4" galvy main with something like latex paint...WOOHOO!!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post

Don't forget on option one, back your fitting up to make sure you don't spin anything else in the system, nothing worse then getting the water on to find a leak down the line.
                      If you still can't spin it out of the fitting, get a cape chisel and cape the pipe out of the fitting, I have done it hundreds of times on galvanized risers in high rises.

And Robert is correct, dielectric unions are designed to fail.

Comment

Out of cursiousity, why aren't you replacing all the galv? If the pipe is old enough to need replacement then chances are the remaining pipe will be to clogged for future use.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Out of cursiousity, why aren't you replacing all the galv? If the pipe is old enough to need replacement then chances are the remaining pipe will be to clogged for future use.
                          #1) the owner is a cheapskate property manager.

#2) some of the pipe is inaccessible without tearing open walls, etc.

#3) the owner is a cheapskate slumlord...err I mean high-end property manager, but cheap.

Comment

It is usually the pipe that will crush and the warp the fitting. What i have done with success before is the stick a piece of steel rod inside the pipe so you won't deform to bad.

On a side note i have to repair a galvanized water service tomorrow..... wish me luck

Comment

Should I:

Carl,

I think you knew the answer to this question before you asked it...didn't you? Good Luck with it, hope it goes smooth.
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X