Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasonable cost to replace drain line (job done)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line (job done)

The plumbing inspector in my town climbs on roofs, crawls under trailers, crawles through attics too, but then he's a young guy with high standards. Life will eventually beat that out of him. It usually does.
    sigpic

Comment

Just remembered this from an inspector in Portsmouth. He said " If you don't do your job right, you're in trouble. If I don't do my job right, we're both in trouble"
      sigpic

Comment

Answers to Plumber Rick's questions

Yes, I saw the old pipe. Much of it was clear, but one section of perhaps 10 feet was plugged to the point that the only passage visible was the 1" hole the plumber's snaking had made the previous Sunday. I also saw several feet of pipe that was blistered with rust on the outside.

The inspector leaned into the access hole with a flashlight, saying "They don't like us to go down there anymore." He told me the slope looked good (what he could see, obviously) and that he was mainly interested in the tie-in from the new 2" line to the existing 3" line, which was possible to see from there. (The plumber cut out the old junction and replaced it.)

I dunno when the plumber actually scheduled the next-day appointment, but he did mention he was unable to get through between 8 and 9am to get the window. The inspector did have his phone number written down, but said he had just been too busy to call him to tell him when he would arrive. I'm glad it worked out that the plumber didn't have to be there, for his sake. It must be murder on smaller jobs, to have to take time for that.

Regarding the posts on pressure-testing. Do they pressure test drain line? Gee, I've done enough sprinkler line myself to have confidence that a guy can glue unpressurized drain pipe well enough to hold. But I imagine that's just an amateur's point of view, eh?

Comment

Re: Answers to Plumber Rick's questions

Originally posted by jrowler View Post
          Yes, I saw the old pipe. Much of it was clear, but one section of perhaps 10 feet was plugged to the point that the only passage visible was the 1" hole the plumber's snaking had made the previous Sunday. I also saw several feet of pipe that was blistered with rust on the outside.

The inspector leaned into the access hole with a flashlight, saying "They don't like us to go down there anymore." He told me the slope looked good (what he could see, obviously) and that he was mainly interested in the tie-in from the new 2" line to the existing 3" line, which was possible to see from there. (The plumber cut out the old junction and replaced it.)

I dunno when the plumber actually scheduled the next-day appointment, but he did mention he was unable to get through between 8 and 9am to get the window. The inspector did have his phone number written down, but said he had just been too busy to call him to tell him when he would arrive. I'm glad it worked out that the plumber didn't have to be there, for his sake. It must be murder on smaller jobs, to have to take time for that.

Regarding the posts on pressure-testing. Do they pressure test drain line? Gee, I've done enough sprinkler line myself to have confidence that a guy can glue unpressurized drain pipe well enough to hold. But I imagine that's just an amateur's point of view, eh?
          It's required for inspections in most jurisdictions...usually 5 psi or a head test where the pipes are filled with water ten feet above the highest fitting.

Comment

10 ft. of head water, is a pain on old work tie in,but it's the right thing to do.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
            X