Water Heater problem, again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater problem, again!

I had the original post on 7/8/08 about the neighbor’s water heater. I thought we fixed it when we cleaned the filter screen on the bottom of the heater that evening. So, yesterday, he called again and said he had no hot water, 9 days of working with no issues after we cleaned the filter screen.
    He did re-light the pilot this time and it worked until it got up to temperature, and the pilot went out. I went over and looked at it again for him, and we lit it and it stayed lit, after heating up the water I turned the temp up and down a few times and the pilot stayed on. Looking at the filter screen from the inside of the heater, it looks like it might be stopped up with what appears to be white scale??
    The heater is an AO Smith Promax, installed 2/5/04, so it must be a 2003 model (FCV-50 100) from looking at the serial number (GJ03-1874734-100).

It looks as if the screen sits in a metal bracket that is riveted to the bottom of the water heater. I told him if it isn't easily removed, he is going to have to call a plumber to come and fix it; there isn't anything else I can do for him.
    So, my question is,
    Does anyone know if the screen on the bottom can be removed?
    What type of warranty does this water heater have?

Re: Water Heater problem, again!

Not sure but it sounds like the Corderlite (sp.?) Filter at the bottom as part of A.O. Smith's FVIR system.

DO NOT WORK ON IT ANYMORE! CALL A PLUMBER NOW! THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR YOUR NEIGHBOR TO BE CHEAP ON THINGS. JUST BECAUSE YOU GUYS GOT IT TO WORK TEMPORARILY MEANS NOTHING. I'M NOT TELLING YOU THIS SO A PLUMBER CAN MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOUR NEIGHBOR. BASED ON WHAT YOU STATE, I SAY CALL A LICENSED PLUMBER.

KEEP SAFE.

J.C.

Comment

I did some checking online at AO Smith, it appears what I was looking at was the flame arrestor, and his water heater does not have the air intake screen on the front of it, as it appears on the web site. So, I'm guessing he has stopped up the flame arrestor, and this is causing the problem. I told him he would need to call a plumber, it appears the heater is a 2003 model, and has a 6 year parts warranty, but if he lost the air intake screen, I doubt anything would be covered because this is missing. He is on his own at this point.

Comment

Thier is a recall on that gas valve. Call ao smith asap.

Comment

Service Guy makes a very good point...you're beginning to tread into complicated territory...the heater was installed in '04 and probably still under warranty..AO Smith may cover the repair, but if you muck with it you could wind up voiding the warranty.

Call a plumber, or better yet...call the MFG!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Service Guy makes a very good point...you're beginning to tread into complicated territory...the heater was installed in '04 and probably still under warranty..AO Smith may cover the repair, but if you muck with it you could wind up voiding the warranty.

Call a plumber, or better yet...call the MFG!
            That wasn't me, that was JC.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Called the AO Smith recall number and they said the recall is only for 75 gallon models. I gave them the model number and serial and they said there are no safety recalls for any of the parts for this unit. Any other information I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                Called the AO Smith recall number and they said the recall is only for 75 gallon models. I gave them the model number and serial and they said there are no safety recalls for any of the parts for this unit. Any other information I am missing?
                Um...yeah...the warranty.
                You might wanna mention the warranty to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  That wasn't me, that was JC.
                  It isn't the first time either...is it?

Apparently I associate you two for the state yer from...sowy.

Comment

I would contact the person who originally installed the water heater ( If they were a licensed plumber ) or the supply house the heater was purchased from and find out who in your area does the warratee work on A O Smith heaters in your area.
                    You shouldnt mess with this yourself as you are making your self responsible if anything should go wrong at your nieghbors house.
                    It might cost your neighbor money as far as labor goes even if the parts are covered. But I would rather spend the cash to fix the problem when my family is at stake.
                    Water heaters are definately not something to mess with if you dont know what you are doing. Please tell your neighbor to get a professional to take care of this problem.
                    No further advice is needed

Comment

Not to stir a pot, but I have to question whether "neighbor" is also "tennant".

Comment

No, neighbor isn't tenant, sp. I told him, as I did before that he should call a plumber, I told him what information I gathered from here. I didn't see him over the weekend and didn't notice a plumber truck at his house.

Comment

A cold shower for momma , and da plumber will be dear .
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

easy solution---scrap the cheap,builder model tank(aosmith)--and install a state of the art high quality bradford white-----i have more aosmith tanks leak in 6-8 years. also they are pretty cheap compared to most other--you get what you pay for

Comment

I talked to the neighbor last night. He had a plumber come out, I was sort of surprised since he is such a cheap %#@, and he was sort of annoyed that the guy pulled the burner assembly and cleaned it and cleaned out the water heater. He said the plumber tested the valve, (how is that done?), and said the burner and flame arrestor were a little dirty and it was all good now. I forgot to ask what he was charged, but he said next time he will do that himself. I told him he did the right thing. I also told him if he had more problems he should upgrade to a new heater or a tankless. He had never heard of the tankless, so that should be interesting future conversations if he has a problem again.
                              I have heard both sides to the tankless debate, anyone have any opinions? Also, with the rise in natural gas prices, is an electric water heater less expensive to run than gas? I assume the electric will need more time to make up hot water, but if the tank is sized correctly for the house, wouldn't electric now be more economical?
                              Last edited by nkyrental; 07-23-2008, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X