Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Special Tool Needed to Remove Price Pfister Handles?

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    Personally i would not sell or install Price Pfister but that's only because my supply houses don't sell them. As for quality, like Rick says there are different grades just like most faucets. My favorites are probably Delta but only because I stock parts and so do the supply houses. Next would be Kohler for the same reason. Unlike Devine I'm not a huge Moen fan. We have a lot of service and warranty problems related to hard water conditions with them, but to be fair Symmons is also on that list.
    SACRILIDGE!

Unfortunately you have a point...the all brass stem & seats ain't so great with hard water.
    Moen valves hold up well in those conditions, but I hate how floppy they are with all the plastic, the simple clip they use to secure the stem seems shoddy too.

Comment

I cant believe I am taking sides with Devine on this one . Moen is big in our area with corporate being in Cleveland. I am friends personally with the moen rep so if I have a problem I can usually have it taken care of that day. Price Pfister or Phister is not carried by any local suppliers other than your D I Y stores which we all know carry the cheapest line of faucets out there. Even Moen has a crappy line of faucets at Home Depot that I would never buy for a Customer. As for Delta Seems like one you replace the seats and springs you can count on doing it on a regular basis . I guess thats job security.

Comment

I know this is probably a too subjective question, but what exactly makes a faucet quality? I'm a total newbie to the plumbing scene, so please educate me.

Is it just reliability? Length of time between replacing the wearables? Smoothness of operation?

The faucet I have exactly is a Price Pfister Bristol model, not sure where that sits in their lineup. I did buy it at Home Depot, so does that put it in their cheap line?

It has only been 2 years next month that it was installed, and the hot water has the drip I'm working on, to me that seems too soon. Even with a teen girl using it

Comment

are you sure it's bristol? or bedford.

what happens a lot of times with the cheaper line of faucet for big box stores is they substitute brass for plastic. the pop up assy is plastic where ours is brass. the stems are plastic where are are brass with ceramic inserts.

i believe you have the cheap plastic stem and a brass one will substitute.

i've come across this once and i special ordered the stems to find that the brass ones would fit anyways.

basically it's the trim level you're paying for. the body is the same. in your case the stems and pop up were cheapened down.

i too like moen as my house is all moen except for the kitchen faucet.

i don't care for symmonds either. what were they thinking having the packing nut under pressure even with the valve off? i do own the seat wrenches. good luck if you don't.

delta is very popular, but at a certain point replacement parts stop working as the valve body and index pin are too worn.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I will answer this one. A "good" faucet is one that a company will stand behind. One with copper and brass waterways is important. If I cannot get parts from a multitude of local sources, then it is no good, as in the event of needing a repair it is something that should be able to be accomplished that day. That is why I always recommend that customers stick with one of the big 3 (Moen, Kohler, Delta). Most service plumbers have repair parts for these faucets on their truck, or can obtain them immediately. If I have a problem with the parts or the finish on a faucet I want to know that the company will stand behind it either with free parts or replacement. Of all the three companies I have dealt they rank in order of Moen, Kohler, Delta.
            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              are you sure it's bristol? or bedford.

what happens a lot of times with the cheaper line of faucet for big box stores is they substitute brass for plastic. the pop up assy is plastic where ours is brass. the stems are plastic where are are brass with ceramic inserts.

i believe you have the cheap plastic stem and a brass one will substitute.

i've come across this once and i special ordered the stems to find that the brass ones would fit anyways.

basically it's the trim level you're paying for. the body is the same. in your case the stems and pop up were cheapened down.

i too like moen as my house is all moen except for the kitchen faucet.

i don't care for symmonds either. what were they thinking having the packing nut under pressure even with the valve off? i do own the seat wrenches. good luck if you don't.

delta is very popular, but at a certain point replacement parts stop working as the valve body and index pin are too worn.

rick.
              No it is the Bristol model #048CT0K. There was a tag under the cold water handle. I remember when I bought it at the Depot it was on clearence as a "Special order" item that the orderer didn't pick up or whatever.

But I just checked, and the stems and pop-up are indeed plastic. Yet if I search this model on the Price Pfister website, the description says the pop-up and handles are metal.

Did the make some specific for the Depot that have the plastic parts?

Would it be worthwhile to replace the plastic stems with brass since they are interchangable? It lists the stems as 910-024 (hot) and 910-025 (cold)
              Last edited by dvdchance; 07-20-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

i would go with the 910-900 ceramic stems. these are interchangable for both hot and cold by flipping the clip/ stop on them. the ceramic stems should last 5 years without any issues.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X