Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Tool Needed to Remove Price Pfister Handles?

I'm trying to repair a leaking Price Pfister bathroom facuet. It's about 2 or 3 years old.

Do I need a special type screwdriver to remove the handle? It doesn't look like a phillips and a small width flathead isn't doing the trick either and I don't want to fudge up the screwhead.

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the I'm sure easy question, my first post here

Re: Special Tool Needed to Remove Price Pfister Handles?

If you have new stems and handles ready, then you can cut the handles right off...
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Go underneath and loosen up the supply tube nuts, then remove the basin nuts. Then you can throw the thing in the trash. Might even consider using a framing hammer. Just make sure your next faucet is a Moen.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Junk , junk, and more junk
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

haters..!!

Comment

Hex Allen screw on the backside probably. I'd like to get my hands on the designer and beat him with his CAD program.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
              haters..!!
              I am not a hater, I love taking out Price Phister, Aqua Source, Glacier Bay, Premier, etc. faucets.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdchance View Post
                I'm trying to repair a leaking Price Pfister bathroom facuet. It's about 2 or 3 years old.

Do I need a special type screwdriver to remove the handle? It doesn't look like a phillips and a small width flathead isn't doing the trick either and I don't want to fudge up the screwhead.

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the I'm sure easy question, my first post here
                well lets answer your question.

a price phister faucet is like general motors. meaning that you can get the basic chevy trim or move up to the cadillac line.

customer service is very good and parts are typically lifetime warranty.

i have no complaints with price phister. sure their hydro seal stems were a flop, but their ceramic stems are great, reversible and lifetime guarantee.

now getting back to your question.

it should be a #2 phillips. both the 4'' center-set and wide spread use the same screw.

once the screws are off, then either pull, rock, or if needed a handle puller. i doubt on a 3 year old lav faucet you need a handle puller.

the stem is easiest to remove with a 5/8'' box wrench so you don't scar or crush the hex. depending on the faucet model. you might have washers or ceramic stems. if the handles only turn 90 degrees, they're ceramic and there is no fix other than replace the stem. if they are multiple turn, then they are washers. (00flat) make sure to change the washers, seats and o-rings 3/8'' x 9/16'' x 3/32''. grease the stem and o-rings.

if this is a widespread faucet, be very careful that you don't spin the entire faucet and do more damage to the water lines below.

now for the best advise. if you don't know how to remove the handle screw, do you think you're ready for the big repair?

a dripping faucet is better than a broken faucet

have a handy friend or local plumber help you if your not sure. it's a 15 minute job with the right knowledge. 5 if you do it all the time

hope this is what you're looking for

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  it should be a #2 phillips. both the 4'' center-set and wide spread use the same screw.

once the screws are off, then either pull, rock, or if needed a handle puller. i doubt on a 3 year old lav faucet you need a handle puller.

the stem is easiest to remove with a 5/8'' box wrench so you don't scar or crush the hex. depending on the faucet model. you might have washers or ceramic stems. if the handles only turn 90 degrees, they're ceramic and there is no fix other than replace the stem. if they are multiple turn, then they are washers. (00flat) make sure to change the washers, seats and o-rings 3/8'' x 9/16'' x 3/32''. grease the stem and o-rings.

if this is a widespread faucet, be very careful that you don't spin the entire faucet and do more damage to the water lines below.

now for the best advise. if you don't know how to remove the handle screw, do you think you're ready for the big repair?

a dripping faucet is better than a broken faucet

have a handy friend or local plumber help you if your not sure. it's a 15 minute job with the right knowledge. 5 if you do it all the time

hope this is what you're looking for
                  rick.
                  Thanks Rick, that is indeed just the info I'm looking for.

So it is a phillips after all, I guess I was just being too careful with it in that the 2 Phillips drivers I tried didn't fit well on the screw.

I was actually embarrassed to ask such a seemingly trivial question, especially since I installed the faucet along with the entire vanity without issue

Comment

i have no complaints with price phister. sure their hydro seal stems were a flop, but their ceramic stems are great, reversible and lifetime guarantee.
                    Would you bid a job with a price phister faucet knowing that you would be responsible for doing warranty work on the faucet (parts and finish) for a period of time? If your customer asked you for a recommendation, would you feel comfortable telling them to purchase a high-quality Price Pfister as opposed to another brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Would you bid a job with a price phister faucet knowing that you would be responsible for doing warranty work on the faucet (parts and finish) for a period of time? If your customer asked you for a recommendation, would you feel comfortable telling them to purchase a high-quality Price Pfister as opposed to another brand?
                      considering that over the years i've personally installed somewhere between 10-15 thousand price phisters. i have nothing bad to say about them.

a price phister comes in different trim levels, but the internals are pretty much the same. unless you get into the single handle units.
                      of all the companies that i repair. price phister is the best for customer service. i installed all price phister for my parents house 20 years ago and have only replaced 1 avanti tub cartridge in that time. (pre pressure balance days)

the moen kitchen faucet has had a new spout and cartridge.
                      the kohler 1 pc. toilets have had their share of pricy ballcocks and lousy flappers.

the biggest problem i have with any faucet repair is trying to i.d. and get parts for the designer/ decorator supplied faucets. faucets that i never installed and have no clue who's it is and where it was made.

once again a price phister is faucet with good customer support and parts are very easy to get. where else can you get a $3.00 stem, a 25 cent seat and have it last 5-10 years without touching it again. (4'' center-set)

their ceramic stems are reversible and inexpensive if you need to buy them.

nothing wrong with a price phister.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

What in god's name is a pfister anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          considering that over the years i've personally installed somewhere between 10-15 thousand price phisters. i have nothing bad to say about them.

a price phister comes in different trim levels, but the internals are pretty much the same. unless you get into the single handle units.
                          of all the companies that i repair. price phister is the best for customer service. i installed all price phister for my parents house 20 years ago and have only replaced 1 avanti tub cartridge in that time. (pre pressure balance days)

the moen kitchen faucet has had a new spout and cartridge.
                          the kohler 1 pc. toilets have had their share of pricy ballcocks and lousy flappers.

the biggest problem i have with any faucet repair is trying to i.d. and get parts for the designer/ decorator supplied faucets. faucets that i never installed and have no clue who's it is and where it was made.

once again a price phister is faucet with good customer support and parts are very easy to get. where else can you get a $3.00 stem, a 25 cent seat and have it last 5-10 years without touching it again. (4'' center-set)

their ceramic stems are reversible and inexpensive if you need to buy them.

nothing wrong with a price phister.

rick.
                          For someone who has installed 10-15 thousand Price Pfisters you should be able to spell it properly!

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            For someone who has installed 10-15 thousand Price Pfisters you should be able to spell it properly!
                            you're right. on my invoicing program i have it spelled both phister and pfister. even thier 1-800-pfaucet # throws me sometimes.

it's the pfaboulis pfaucet with the pfunny name. i think that's right

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Personally i would not sell or install Price Pfister but that's only because my supply houses don't sell them. As for quality, like Rick says there are different grades just like most faucets. My favorites are probably Delta but only because I stock parts and so do the supply houses. Next would be Kohler for the same reason. Unlike Devine I'm not a huge Moen fan. We have a lot of service and warranty problems related to hard water conditions with them, but to be fair Symmons is also on that list.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X