X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• install shower drain pipe

I am hiring a contractor to install a shower to our existing half bathroom, which the sink and toilet are already there, he asks me to buy Tee connector (see picture 1 and picture 2), he said either one is ok.
    picture 1: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...f9ddd8.jpg?v=0
    picture 2: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/...2959c7.jpg?v=0

I am not sure when flushing toilet, if the sewer water will back flow into the shower pan, by using these two kind of Tee?

Also our house has concrete slab foundation, there is no crawlspace, right now the toilet drain uses cast iron pipe, the contractor will use rubber coupling(see picture 3) to connect existing cast iron to new added ABS pipe, this will bury underground, my question is will the coupling (clamp) corrode in the future?
    picture 3: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/...7a81c6.jpg?v=0

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Re: install shower drain pipe

Why would you be procuring materials for your contractor?

pic 1 and 2 are NOT allowed under ground here

pic 3 yes will corrode over time...lots of time

Comment

Here you can't use fernco couplings at all, never mind under ground. Even shielded no-hub couplings cant be used under ground. Even if they were permitted here you would have to use a no-hub c.i. wye in between the existing c.i.

I am also curious as to why the plumber is asking you to pick up materials. That sort of sets off red flags in my eyes.

Is a permit getting pulled?

Comment

Originally posted by macmic View Post
        I am hiring a contractor to install a shower to our existing half bathroom, which the sink and toilet are already there, he asks me to buy Tee connector (see picture 1 and picture 2), he said either one is ok.
        picture 1: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...f9ddd8.jpg?v=0
        picture 2: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/...2959c7.jpg?v=0

I am not sure when flushing toilet, if the sewer water will back flow into the shower pan, by using these two kind of Tee?

Also our house has concrete slab foundation, there is no crawlspace, right now the toilet drain uses cast iron pipe, the contractor will use rubber coupling(see picture 3) to connect existing cast iron to new added ABS pipe, this will bury underground, my question is will the coupling (clamp) corrode in the future?
        picture 3: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/...7a81c6.jpg?v=0

Thanks for your answer in advance.
        After looking at the pictures of the materials your "contractor" asked you to buy and said were okay I would recommend you call another "contractor" and make sure you check references and license status.

http://www2.cslb.ca.gov/General-Info...me+Request.asp

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If you have hired a licensed plumber, than he should be doing everything properly to code and obtaining the proper materials. These matters are the plumber's concern, none of this should be your concern. The inspector will come out to make sure it is installed properly.

If he isn't a licensed plumber, then get someone else immediately or you may be in for some headaches.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I have to second what PC is asking...why in the world is a contractor putting stock on a homeowner?

I couldn't begin to imagine asking a customer to differentiate a san tee from a tee-wye...nevermind the time I'd lose asking him to go back and exchange the errors for the right stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              If you have hired a licensed plumber, than he should be doing everything properly to code and obtaining the proper materials. These matters are the plumber's concern, none of this should be your concern. The inspector will come out to make sure it is installed properly.

If he isn't a licensed plumber, then get someone else immediately or you may be in for some headaches.
              This might be an example of Cali's "three trade" rule for contractors.
              A GC in Cali is allowed to do up to three trades on one job himself...I completely disagree with it, but heck..I'm not in Cali.

Comment

I don't care if he practices 8 trades...he still should be pulling a permit, doing everything to code and obtaining his own materials.

The cynical part of me suspects that maybe the 'hired contractor' may actually be the DIY homeowner. Why else would he have to worry about buying the right materials??? Somthing's fishy here.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

hack hack hackity hack

Comment

macmic,

keep in mind that codes are the minimum standards.

knowing that, your parts would have given you an "f" in plumbing 101.

you really need to hire a licensed, qualified contractor. typically i find that general contractors that attempt to do their own plumbing are not very qualified in it. they might be a good framer, but not a plumber.

i hope these are not what he told you/ wrote down to purchase.

i agree, with everyone so far hire a legit plumber who knows what they are doing.

please keep us posted and take pictures so we can give you another heads up

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

definately call and cancel this asap--if not your going to have a hack do a hack job and one of us will be ripping it out and doing it right---cancel the job

Comment

glkearns lives out your way. He is a licensed plumber, right?

Toolaholic is a general contractor out your way too.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          This might be an example of Cali's "three trade" rule for contractors.
                          A GC in Cali is allowed to do up to three trades on one job himself...I completely disagree with it, but heck..I'm not in Cali.
                          I'm kind of curious about this 3 trade rule. What counts as a trade? It seems if you've got plumbing and electrical you've got the biggies; and am wondering what they would use the third for and if they would ever run out and need a fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

I've had this debate with toolaholic...and it's gotten ugly.
                            He agree's about the fact that it leaves the door open for hacks, but there in lies a conflict as he does his plumbing on the houses he builds or remodels.
                            Though Tool may be an exception as far as skill level is concerned..the door is still open & inspectors don't catch everything.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              I'm kind of curious about this 3 trade rule. What counts as a trade? It seems if you've got plumbing and electrical you've got the biggies; and am wondering what they would use the third for and if they would ever run out and need a fourth.
                              Nuclear physics...you're allowed to modify any nearby reactors as long as you're working on a home within a few miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X