Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower and spigot both on

Re: Moen bath tub spigot and shower head

Hello,

We have a dilemma in our bathroom. Our renovator is working on our bathroom and he is near the final stages after putting in tile all around and up the wall of our tub. The problem is whenever we turn on the water to fill up our tub; it comes out of the shower head as well as the spigot. If you turn down the pressure (ie. Amount of water coming through) it will only come out of the spigot.

We tried:
    • We thought the spigot hole was to small so we unscrewed it and let the same thing happened
    • Put a inch wide pipe leading into the spigot to see if this would decrease back pressure…same thing happened
    • Decreased the flow of water to the tub by turning down the shutoffs below….if the water pressure was halved, it only came out of the spigot. But this would take a long time to fill up our tub.
    • Put in a new cartridge in the controller…same problem

We have never had this problem before. Our previous shower was hooked up to the spigot below from a hose into a wand. The piping leading to the new shower head has all been done by our renovator. Could he have done something wrong here? He claims that there actually is no control to the shower head that the water wants to (usually) only go the spigot and he can’t figure out why it’s going to both. The spigot has a knob you can lift that can make the water go to the shower head.

Ideas?

Re: Shower and spigot both on

Replace the spigot....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Someone had this same problem before, here. The water pressure may be too high in the house. Have it checked with a pressure-gauge. Also I have heard that pex piping is so slippery that this will happen sometimes if the shower-riser is piped in pex pipe.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Read the installation instructions for the tub/shower valve. It may have been designed to use a twin ell behind the tub spout.

PEX piping too slippery?

Comment

What type of valve is it? Is it a Moentrol or a Posi-temp valve? Are the Hot markings on the left and the cold on the right when looking at it? Maybe the installer being a renovator and not a plumber may have put the valve in upside down? Being a Moen there are only a few things that could be wrong and most times when the cartridge is replaced it take care of the problem? I would also pull the cartridge back out and look to see if the bottom port is blocked with something!
          ________
          Suzuki Gsx-R1000
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM.
          Mike

Comment

There is a plastic assembly in the valve body which directs the flow of water downwards on some of the older valve bodies. Possibly left out or damaged when installing. Possibly the valve was even put in upside down. Is the raised bump (for lack of a better term) on the cover tube facing upwards?
            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Read the installation instructions for the tub/shower valve. It may have been designed to use a twin ell behind the tub spout.

PEX piping too slippery?

Comment

Yes, pex has less friction than copper. Or so I have heard.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Yep...She's a Moen. My Favorite T\S Valve in the whole wide world.
                  sigpic

Comment

would you let your landscaper replace your roof???? hopefully not--this is all to familiar in ohio--a drywall/carpenter that CAN do some plumbing work when he is hurting for cash-------you need to call a reputable plumber and have him look at this and make the repair before the carpenter tells you to deal with it and trys to make you feel sorry for him. plumbing is for plumbers as tile is for tilers--dont want to be harsh but i have been to homes where customers have basically been given the runaround for days then weeks thn months--then ayear or 2 later im jetting a line and they ask" hey- can you take a look at this-my handyman said this is right- but i dont think it is!!!!----call a pro---there could be lots of variables a non pro would not think of ---good luck---let us know

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                      would you let your landscaper replace your roof???? hopefully not--this is all to familiar in ohio--a drywall/carpenter that CAN do some plumbing work when he is hurting for cash-------you need to call a reputable plumber and have him look at this and make the repair before the carpenter tells you to deal with it and trys to make you feel sorry for him. plumbing is for plumbers as tile is for tilers--dont want to be harsh but i have been to homes where customers have basically been given the runaround for days then weeks thn months--then ayear or 2 later im jetting a line and they ask" hey- can you take a look at this-my handyman said this is right- but i dont think it is!!!!----call a pro---there could be lots of variables a non pro would not think of ---good luck---let us know
                      I missed the detail about the piping being done by the renovator...good call.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Yes, pex has less friction than copper. Or so I have heard.
                        While it may have less friction loss, in this distance it should be so close to copper that it's a canceling factor.

I don't think Moen ever made a valve requiring an aspiration ell. Could be wrong.

Upside down, maybe.

But I'm willing to be that they don't have the proper distance on the tub drop and/or they used PEX piping on the drop. Being that PEX has insert type fittings it is often enough to cause enough restriction to back up the shower pipe.

IF YOU CALL A PLUMBER YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THINGS TWICE.

J.C.

Comment

If you want to quick fix your problem you can go to Home Depot and get a shower head stop that screws onto the shower head arm and have the WANNA BE PLUMBER RENOVATOR throw it on for you.
                          ________
                          Yamaha Wiki Specifications
                          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM.
                          Mike

Comment

If the Moen t/s valve has IPS connection at the tub spout connection you must use brass nipples in certain shower valves. If copper was used you will get these results. Please read the installation instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                              There is a plastic assembly in the valve body which directs the flow of water downwards on some of the older valve bodies. Possibly left out or damaged when installing. Possibly the valve was even put in upside down. Is the raised bump (for lack of a better term) on the cover tube facing upwards?
                              i thought it was a copper tube insert. but you got the right call

this being a new valve, it's either missing or a very ruff casting that is creating the back pressure.

of course the valve could be upside down

i don't think moen has any valves that require a twin ell.

if it's not too late, can you replace the valve or install a twin ell and cap the riser at the top port of the valve

even a speck of solder into the top port can create havoc

good call devine

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X