Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teaching plastic pipe

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    It has to be at least 95* in the crawlspace!
    Don't forget the cat ****
    sigpic

Comment

And a 50' crawl draggin' all their gear.

That desk is looking better all the time right WrenchSpinner?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        You are right, it is useful for high-schoolers. I just know some guys who had plumbing classes and are terrible. And yet some of the best plumbers I have ever known never went to any 'school' for it.

But yes, it can provide a head-start.
        I would say that this applies to any job. There are people who never went to school who are great; and people who went to school who don't know their *** from their elbow. It depends more on the person than the education. On balance, however, I think that learning things in a structured format can be really beneficial and you can learn a lot fast. When you combine the "book" learning with a few years hands on practice, you can really start firing on all cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          And a 50' crawl draggin' all their gear.

That desk is looking better all the time right WrenchSpinner?

J.C.
          ahhhhhhhhhhh I still miss it if I Didnt I wouldnt be here reliving my "Glory Days!!!!!"

Comment

Take me with you Wrench! You've got climate control, liquor, and pencils.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              I would say that this applies to any job.
              Yes and no.

A chemist need lots of schooling and book-smarts.

A plumber need more real-life experience than anything else.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Take me with you Wrench! You've got climate control, liquor, and pencils.

J.C.

Comment

Yes and no.

A chemist need lots of schooling and book-smarts.

A plumber need more real-life experience than anything else.
                  This is where I disagree with you Carl. Having 20 years experience isn't always an indicator of workmanship. You can learn the wrong way the first year and spend the next 19 years continuing to do the wrong way. I see this all the time with hvac. I think a combination of both is needed. Learn the basic skills in the classroom and expand on them in the field.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

darren, i have volunteered for the last 5 years at l.a. trade tech for an annual meeting with the faculty/ staff of the plumbing department.

truthfully, i find that they are stressing too much code and not enough theory. what good is understanding code when they haven't a clue what is right and what is wrong.

i think my code class in the u.a. apprenticeship was taught in the 3rd. year. on the job training with a knowledgeable journeyman is great. the classroom is great for the thinking knowledge, but it has to be brought to the field to apply it.

i think if you really want to have fun with the class.

set up the tri stand and let them do the roundup threadmaster contest.

i for one loved this contest. it was all out power and eyes and hands.

if you need a refresher, just ask or p.m.

rick.

keep up the good work with the kids. i'm not getting any younger
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      This is where I disagree with you Carl. Having 20 years experience isn't always an indicator of workmanship. You can learn the wrong way the first year and spend the next 19 years continuing to do the wrong way. I see this all the time with hvac. I think a combination of both is needed. Learn the basic skills in the classroom and expand on them in the field.
                      OK, good point Ben. I have even met those guys that have 20 years experience and still are hacks. I learn by asking questions and reading, not by school, but that is just my way. I passed the plumbing test on my first try without any classes.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

This is why plumbing school is practically useless. I learned the trade working as an apprentice in real-world conditions...thats the only way to do it right imo.
                        Besides having a full sized house in our classroom, complete with kitchen, bath, 6 heating systems and 3 a\c set up's, my guys also do the plumbing for modular homes built by the construction trade program. Besides that I run the curricuum as a business so everyone gets a chance to be the owner, secretary, treasurer, foreman and worker bee. They punch in every day, take work orders, complete the job, collect the monopoly money etc.
                        sigpic

Comment

Fantastic comments!!! I also have my students clock-in and clock-out each day. It teaches them responsibility and I use each one's time card to help figure daily grades at the end of the week. I like the ball test idea - what kind of ball would you recommend? Ping pong ball, golf ball, etc...? 5# of air pressure - I like it. There is so much I would like to do each year, but due to budget limitations - my hands are tied in many areas. I average $5,000.00 each year to run two classes on. This year we have already been informed that this will cut 40% and there will be no equipment money. This is going to be one of those years where I beg, steal, & borrow - A LOT!!! I keep the projects in my shop small because of the cost of materials. I buy just enough to teach each lesson. Materials used for the projects like the PVC are used, installed, tested, cut out, and thrown in the dumpster. I do similiar projects with black iron screw pipe and grooved pipe (where I can reuse the fittings), copper pipe, polyethylene pipe, welded pipe, etc...as well as residential wiring and sheet metal. I reuse what I can. It would be great for every student to complete their own project, but for the sake of the almighty $$$ - I will continue to do group activities. It also helps teach team work, and honestly, not all students could complete these projects on their own in a timely manner. I pull names out of hat each time we do a team project. Great advice and info!!! Keep it coming baby!!!
                          Later, JONESY

Comment

Congrat's to both of You teachers,Kid's are lucky. There is one real world aspect to these classes. Da plumbers don't get paid
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Besides having a full sized house in our classroom, complete with kitchen, bath, 6 heating systems and 3 a\c set up's, my guys also do the plumbing for modular homes built by the construction trade program. Besides that I run the curricuum as a business so everyone gets a chance to be the owner, secretary, treasurer, foreman and worker bee. They punch in every day, take work orders, complete the job, collect the monopoly money etc.
                              Is this a regular high school? The navy doesn't even this type of training facility.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thats' sad
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X