Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Way to thread pipe

Hello,
    Im new to the forums. I just got done taking my tradsmen plumbing test, in texas. I passed everything except threading pipe, I reamed it, threaded the 3/4" pipe and cut it off. The second part of the test, was measuring the offset on 2 pieces of pipe. The center to center was 7". So I multiplied that by 1.414 and subtracted 1.5" to get roughly 8 3/8" piece. I did not pass can someone tell me what i did wrong?

Re: Proper Way to thread pipe

plumjoe, did you do it in under 66 seconds

welcome to the forum

typically if you don't pass they will tell you what area you missed on.

not sure what they were looking for.

was this a journeyman's or contractors/ masters exam

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't understand your question though. Our tests are obviously different, but it seems if you're measuring
      the offset?, is that what you need to fit between them? It would obviously be less than 7" then, so that can't be what you're looking for.
      Someone here will probably know what you're talkin about, keep checkin in.

As for the actual threading, perhaps they're looking at how deep you cut your threads.
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Looked for a black 45, couldn't find one.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMJOE View Post
          Hello,
          Im new to the forums. I just got done taking my tradsmen plumbing test, in texas. I passed everything except threading pipe, I reamed it, threaded the 3/4" pipe and cut it off. The second part of the test, was measuring the offset on 2 pieces of pipe. The center to center was 7". So I multiplied that by 1.414 and subtracted 1.5" to get roughly 8 3/8" piece. I did not pass can someone tell me what i did wrong?

Your measurements seem to be fine. Must be something else that caused you to fail. Didn't you get a report?

Comment

When I took my test they wouldn't tell you what you missed if you failed.

J.C.

Comment

I'm with Master.. The math works out fine unless perhaps they caught something you missed w/ the threads.Were the proctors steers or....

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                plumjoe, did you do it in under 66 seconds

welcome to the forum

typically if you don't pass they will tell you what area you missed on.

not sure what they were looking for.

was this a journeyman's or contractors/ masters exam

rick.
                Did you ever think of contacting guinness?

Comment

welcome... if your math is good maybe it was your threads... 11 threads?..... 7 in the fitting and 4 exposed? i had to do that in school too and unless your math didnt work out, you didnt ream, or the threads are bad/ too many you didnt pass, but if all that is good i dunno what the prob was.
                  if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

If you were doing 45 offsets your math was spot on, so it musta a been something else.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      If you were doing 45 offsets your math was spot on, so it musta a been something else.
                      For a 45 offset the math looks good yes, and I would expect that would be the exam question, but he does not say its a 45, that is an assumption we are making.

"The second part of the test, was measuring the offset on 2 pieces of pipe."
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        For a 45 offset the math looks good yes, and I would expect that would be the exam question, but he does not say its a 45, that is an assumption we are making.

"The second part of the test, was measuring the offset on 2 pieces of pipe."
                        He said he was multiplying by 1.414, so he was doing 45 degree offsets
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          He said he was multiplying by 1.414, so he was doing 45 degree offsets
                          You're right, he did day that.
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-27-2008, 06:11 PM.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Yea, sorry it was 3/4" pipe with 2 45s. i guess they didn't like how i reamed it or something. we get a report but it just tells you you failed that portion of the test but dosnt tell you what part of that portion you failed. thanxs for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMJOE View Post
                              Yea, sorry it was 3/4" pipe with 2 45s. i guess they didn't like how i reamed it or something. we get a report but it just tells you you failed that portion of the test but dosnt tell you what part of that portion you failed. thanxs for all the help.
                              I like how TX does the test, physically having to show your skills.
                              Too many are book smart and simply get a license based on their ability to memorize and math skills.
                              There are too many things you don't find in a code book that truly define our trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X