Water softener 0-ring connection keeps leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water softener 0-ring connection keeps leaking

The WaterBoss might work fine for you but just guessing I'd tell you to get the current model of what you have now. Lasted 12 years and will probably be close to the right height. Shorter is better that taller for you.

J.C.

Comment

I found this on our City of Phoenix site.

The water in the City is considered to be very hard, running from about 10 to 17 grains per gallon (185 – 287 parts per million) of hardness. An addition of a water treatment device, like a softener or reverse osmosis unit, will help in reducing the hardness in your home.

As far as matching the old one, I have NO idea what the specs are/were. My inlaws said "hey, we'll buy you guys a water softener" so we said "ok"! Went to sears and bought one. I don't think there was much thought as to which one we chose, more mainly on cost to them.

Looks like the 700 should work ok. ( I guess! LOL)
      Home Depot carries the 900 and no one here carries the 950.
      Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-28-2008, 09:50 PM.
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

10-17 grains is considered EXTREMELY hard water. I suggest having it tested before spending money on something you don't need. Test kits can be purchased at HomeDepot.

I just installed a Waterboss 700 last week. Nice unit! It was hard piped with copper. The only hoses were for discharge and overflow. Once I figued out how to setup and program the controls it's pretty much hands free.

Comment

It is possible to measure the level of hard water by obtaining a free water testing kit. These are supplied by most water softening companies. There are several different scales used to describe the hardness of water in different contexts.
          • mmol/L (millimoles per litre)
          • mg/L calcium carbonate equivalent
          • grains/gallon (gpg)
            1 gr/U.S. gal = 17.11 mg/L
          • Parts per million weight/volume (ppm w/v or ppm m/v)
          • Various obsolete "degrees":
            • Clark degrees (°Clark)/English degrees (°E)
              conversion to mg/L calcium: divide by 0.175
              One degree Clark corresponds to one
              grain of calcium carbonate in one Imperial gallon of water which is equivalent to 14.28 parts calcium carbonate in 1,000,000 parts water.
            • Deutsche Härte (German hardness) (°dH)
              conversion to mg/L calcium: divide by 0.14
              One degree German corresponds to one part calcium oxide in 100,000 parts of water.
            • French degrees (°f) (letter to be written in lowercase to avoid confusion with degree Fahrenheit — not always adhered to)
              conversion to mg/L calcium: divide by 0.25
              One degree French corresponds to one part calcium carbonate in 100,000 parts of water.
            • American degrees
              One degree American corresponds to one part calcium carbonate in 1,000,000 parts water (1 mg/L or 1 ppm)
            • Degrees of general hardness (dGH)
              One degree of general hardness corresponds to 10 mg of calcium oxide or magnesium oxide per litre of water
          Because it is the precise mixture of minerals dissolved in the water, together with the water's pH and temperature, that determines the behaviour of the hardness, a single-number scale does not adequately describe hardness. Descriptions of hardness correspond roughly with ranges of mineral concentrations:
          • Soft: 0–20 mg/L as calcium
          • Moderately soft: 20–40 mg/L as calcium
          • Slightly hard: 40–60 mg/L as calcium
          • Moderately hard: 60–80 mg/L as calcium
          • Hard: 80–120 mg/L as calcium
          • Very Hard >120 mg/L as calcium
          sigpic

Comment

Made a few calls and found an Ace that will order the WaterBoss for me. It's paid for and will be here early Friday morning. Guess I have my Saturday job lined up! Thanks everyone, another crisis averted!

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
              Well, goo'd up the 0-rings with clear RTV and shoved it back together. Will ck it tomorrow and see how it goes! One drip and it's off to the alley!
              I know this thing is headed for the dumpster now but a food grade O-Ring lube might be a better choice. Something like this:
              http://www.clearcoproducts.com/greases_compounds.html

What I find strange is the web page above says
              " Product Equivalent: Dow Corning® 111, DC 111 "

We use Dow 111 all the time at work and I don't think I would use that in direct contact with my water at home.

Don't know what RTV you were using but I bet if you check the MSDS its not a good choice and probably not NSF approved for use in direct contact with potable water.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Hopefully, I am not too late. Do not under any conditions put in that WaterJunk. If you can take it back please do so. You would be better off getting another Kenmore. You are setting yourself up for extreme disappointment. I would stick with a Sterling or an Intellis unit. The important thing to consider when looking at your water is the PPM of dissolved iron. While softeners can handle up to 30 PPM of other dissolved minerals, they can only handle 3 PPM of iron maximum. Any higher and you should also be using an iron filter.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  Hopefully, I am not too late. Do not under any conditions put in that WaterJunk. If you can take it back please do so. You would be better off getting another Kenmore. You are setting yourself up for extreme disappointment. I would stick with a Sterling or an Intellis unit. The important thing to consider when looking at your water is the PPM of dissolved iron. While softeners can handle up to 30 PPM of other dissolved minerals, they can only handle 3 PPM of iron maximum. Any higher and you should also be using an iron filter.

What is it that you don't like about the WaterBoss? I have not read anything bad about them in all my reading. Others call the Kenmore junk too. I dunno, it's paid for, ordered and on the way. It's not too late to cancel but I need something concrete to change my mind here.

Mark

Comment

What is it that you don't like about the WaterBoss? I have not read anything bad about them in all my reading. Others call the Kenmore junk too. I dunno, it's paid for, ordered and on the way. It's not too late to cancel but I need something concrete to change my mind here.

Mark
                    Maybe I should not speak so harshly of them. I have only installed one and that was after the customer practically begged me to do so. That was three years ago and he is happy with it. However, I have taken out a couple of dozen and thrown them away because the customer was unhappy with them. I guess I just don't care for their compact size and their hose connections. However, anything you buy in today's market is going to be a 10-15 year softener. I have installed about 300 of the MacClean Intellis softeners without any customer complaints.

Comment

Thanks.

I had not heard of them until someone posted a link here, then I saw them at HD and figured they can't be much worse than the Sears, which had it not sprung this stupid leak, would still be going.

For me, i'm not "into" soft water. Not a big deal to me, but my wife likes it. It's just the 2 of us now so I don't need a big high volume unit, just something to take the edge off her shower water.

I take it that they plumb up like a washing machine, with two hoses? Not sure I like that either but maybe I can do it with solid copper for a more worry free install. I'll be doing it myself Saturday. I guess hoses are ok too, providing they are decent. I usually only use the stainless ones but those would be too small ID to feed the whole house.

I'll post back on my progress and how it works.

Mark

Comment

Thanks.

I had not heard of them until someone posted a link here, then I saw them at HD and figured they can't be much worse than the Sears, which had it not sprung this stupid leak, would still be going.

For me, i'm not "into" soft water. Not a big deal to me, but my wife likes it. It's just the 2 of us now so I don't need a big high volume unit, just something to take the edge off her shower water.

I take it that they plumb up like a washing machine, with two hoses? Not sure I like that either but maybe I can do it with solid copper for a more worry free install. I'll be doing it myself Saturday. I guess hoses are ok too, providing they are decent. I usually only use the stainless ones but those would be too small ID to feed the whole house.

I'll post back on my progress and how it works.

Mark
                        Shouldn't be too bad, the hoses are a little heavier than just a regular washer hose. They are 3/4" FIP x 3/4" FIP. You may even consider using some copper flex tubes that many on here have talked about using on water heater applications. At least you have a lot of help if you run into problems.

Comment

Well, I'm always up for a challenge! LOL I'm a cabinet maker by trade but can do about anything around here that needs done. About all that I'll have to do it build a stand for it so it doesn't end up hiding down next to my BBQ! Like to have the lid at least as high as the cooking area so I can dump in the salt.

Comment

Well, it's all done. For some reason I thought it hooked up with hoses, like in washing machine hoses. Nope. Just like my old Kenmore,,,,,EXCEPT the stupid "IN" and "OUT" were switched!!!! Can't they get together and make this crap uniform!!!! Arggggg.

Anyways, One trip back to the store for a couple 90's and I was in business. My soldering isn't the prettiest but it flowed in good and doesn't leak. Now for a little paint touch up and I'm done!!!

Comment

Since you know how to solder, why use sharkbites?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                                Since you know how to solder, why use sharkbites?
                                Well, when I picked up the unit, I "thought" I'd only need to add the two 90's so I grabbed them. After getting them installed and then seeing the "IN" and "OUT" switched, I left them on and went and bought what I needed to do the rest. Had I known i'd have to do the switch-ah-roo, I would have done the whole thing soldered. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X