X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water softener 0-ring connection keeps leaking

I have a Sears Kenmore water softener. Yesterday, I brought home more salt and went to fill it and to my surprise, it was sitting half full of water. I drained out the water and then noticed the inlet side of the plastic bypass valve was dripping water, which slowly filled the tank.

I removed the 2 plastic retainers and pulled the unit off the wall/bypass valve. I removed the old 0-rings and cleaned everything good and installed 2 new 0-rings, lubed up with some Vasoline. Slid it back on, installed clips and it still dripped! Argggg!!!

I pull it again and installed the next diameter (same 1/8" material, just larger around) larger 0-ring, thinking it may take up a little slack when compressed. Nope, still dripped! I've checked the inside and outside of the connection. NO cracks, no scratches, just nice and clean! For the life of me, I cannot get this thing to seal! It's an older unit, maybe 10 years, but works fine. Hate to scrap it and spend 500 bucks on a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? Short of coating the 0-rings with some RTV or Permatex #2 for a permanent install! LOL

(to get my wife back happy with soft water, the RTV is looking real promising about now. It could be dry by morning!)

Thanks.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Water softener 0-ring connection keeps leaking

Never use a petroleum based product on rubber.

Comment

How old is the unit? Is it still under warranty? If so take it back. The Sears units are plastic crap. I don't remember manufactures them for sears but it's the same junk unit that HD sells.
      sigpic

Comment

If it's a copper inlet pipe it may have a tiny pinhole right next to the connection. Look carefully. I agree with the Killer Spider, remove the vaseline and wipe it down good and dry. Hand tighten the nut then 1/4 turn with a wrench no more!. Be sure pipes are nice and straight and are going in all the way.

If it still leaks time, to reach into your wallet. 10 years old isn't worth a plumbing service call.

Comment

mark, i have repaired many of those plastic push in bypass valves. the problem is i get called after the valve has already pulled apart and flooded the garage or outside.

honestly, i doubt that an o-ring is the cause of your leak. i'm more under the impression that the plastic bypass plunger is fatiguing and ready to blow

don't want to scare you, but i think it's time to

better safe than sorry

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's atleast 12 years old. The 0-rings are the ones that go ON the bypass valve and those pipes slide into the two female counterparts on the top of the unit. So I guess buying a new one from Sears is not the best decision? LOL Any suggestions on brands? Personally, I don't really care for it, it makes me feel slimy when I try to rinse off. But,,,,my wife,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you know the drill! And I really can't justify 5 or 6 hundred right now for a new machine.

BTW...my wife is all for the RTV suggestion!! She REALLY likes the soft water! LOL

I'll go get a picture. Luckly, it's mounted up outside so any leaks are not an issue.

Should I try it again with DRY 0-rings? Or what do you use to help them slide on?

I've always used oil on 0-rings during my 16 years doing auto repair and auto A/C work.

Mark

Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-27-2008, 07:29 PM.
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Well, goo'd up the 0-rings with clear RTV and shoved it back together. Will ck it tomorrow and see how it goes! One drip and it's off to the alley!

Comment

Next time lube orings with plumbers grease. It's silicon based and can be found in the faucet repair section at hd.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well, the RTV did not work. Turned on the water and the pressure flexed the pipes some and drip, drip, drip. Next will be PLUNK as it goes in the alley. Oh well

Anyone have any suggestions on brands...........that won't break my bank? LOL Whirlpool at Lowes?

I know most don't like Sears, but this one lasted about 12 years. If I could fix the stinking leak, it might go another 5! LOL Hey, maybe some of the "Billy Mays Mighty Putty"????
                  Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-28-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

http://www.waterboss.com/

Comment

Thanks. I checked out the link and found the one that would work for us at Ace True Value. $399 is not too bad. Thing sure is short! LOL 25" tall. I may have to build a platform to get it up atleast even with my brick BBQ, which it sets next to.

Waterboss 700

Mark

Comment

Make sure it has the proper grain capacity/resin bed to take care of your needs. Like for like stats as your old one-stick it in and good luck!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Make sure it has the proper grain capacity/resin bed to take care of your needs. Like for like stats as your old one-stick it in and good luck!

J.C.

Ok, i'll ask, how do I determine those things? We have city water with iron pipes (copper in the house) and have "heard" that it is hard. Listening to my wife, the water must be like a brick! Me.....heck, I drink from the hose! LOL

In the specs, it says the following:
                          3/4" MHT inlet/outlet, FHT x MPT hoses included

What does it mean by "hoses included"? LOL My current one is, for lack of a better statement, "hard wired" in with copper pipe. Does this use rubber hoses like a washing machine? (as you can tell, I don't know much about softeners.)

Mark
                          Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-28-2008, 10:18 PM.

Comment

There I go opening my big mouth without all the information. I don't think I'm as versed in water softeners as others. But I know to look for those things. Your current model should have a "grain cpacity" to compare to the WaterBoss. And the resin tank in the WaterBoss might be the same size or smaller requiring more frequent regeneration. You need to determine what you need based on how much water you turn over & water hardness.

I drink from a hose too.

J.C.

Comment

You can hook it up with a piece of Cocabola.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X