Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

For the extra $650 it's a no brainer going for the Rinnai but $2,200 sounds low to me also.

The plumber could still make money on it but that would have to be the easiest install ever at that price.

Who knows, maybe 3Bulldogs just found a really hungry plumber

Comment

28 pages and still goinggggggggggggggg.
      sigpic

Comment

Okay, I'm going to try to remember and answer all of the questions that have been asked since my post.

This is an inside unit which will be mounted on an outside basement wall.

As for the regulator and piping size, I have no idea. My gas company is doing the installation, so I trust that they will provide me with what I need. They have installed many of these units.

I'm guessing they are installing the 7.5 gpm model as it is just my husband and me in a one bathroom house.

There are a couple reasons why I may have been quoted a low(er) price. First, I used to work for the gas company; however I do not believe I am getting a discount. I have the price breakdown at work, will post more details tomorrow. We already have a gas cook stove and dryer, so the gas installation is not from scratch. Small house = less materials and piping.

The rebate is through the Propane Association, it is not a tax credit. Apparently, it is not a guarantee, though. You submit your application for the rebate and they will honor it if there are allocated funds remaining. It's on a first come, first served basis. I'll post the details once I have more information.

To be honest, we're not looking at this solely on the basis of recouping our money in 20 years. As I mentioned, for the price difference, it makes no sense to go with a tank water heater which has half the lifespan. If the tankless lasts us 20 years, and a tank water heater lasts ten, we're already saving $800+. Other pros...when the tankless finally dies, we will not have 40 gallons of water on the basement floor, propane will be cheaper than the electricity for the current water heater (I do get a propane discount for being a former employee), we will be able to have more than two showers in a row when we have company, don't use hot water to wash clothes, rarely use the dishwasher, etc.

Let me know if I have missed any questions. I will post pictures once the install is complete.

Comment

Here is the cost breakdown:

WH - $1,132
          Labor - $450
          Vent kit - $240
          Material - $368
          Total - $2,190

There is a $50 charge to remove the current WH and an electrician is coming to install an additional outlet, which should be minimal. In total, no more than $2,400 not including the rebate (if there's $ left).
          Last edited by 3Bulldogs; 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM.

Comment

The installation is done and looks great! There is about a ten second delay for hot water at the spigot, but that was to be expected and no different than with the electric tank.

There is a regulator near the dryer and one near the line up to the kitchen stove. They may have been there before, but I hadn't noticed them. The regulator near the dryer has 1/2" copper line coming in from the LP tank with the same size running to the dryer. There is a line (black) also coming from the regulator that feeds the WH.

It is plugged into an extension cord at the moment because the electrician isn't coming until Thursday, but that's okay temporarily.

The new WH is near the incoming city water line where the old one was, so the PVC vent is hidden by the rhododendron. I'm pleased with that because it's on the front of the house. I know that wouldn't matter to most of you guys, but it does to us girls.

The tech even mentioned that we may come in under quote. That would be even better! Easy install, I'm guessing.

So pros, how does it look overall?
            Attached Files

Comment

More pics...
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X