Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

    Sounds like he's pretty interested as is.

    Brings to question as to why tankless's offer ten year warranties across the board as opposed to tank types having variable warranty's depending on anode size.

    As far as extra venting...he's looking to eliminate the chimney...sounds like he'll have to deal with venting one way or another.

    A 20 year old water heater was made to higher standards, I see loads of older tanks that lasted way past their warranty's.
    None last that long now....barring SuperStor, which is in a differnt category altogether.
    The MFG's seem to have caught on that it wasn't lucrative.
    Last edited by DuckButter; 07-28-2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: reel bed spelin

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

      Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      You play Kevin Youkilis, I'll play Joba Chamberlain and throw the ball 100 mph at your head
      NO!
      You be Jeter...I'm Beckett.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

        so why can't he/anyone use the 220 volt tankless and do away with the gas line AND vent completely?
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

          Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
          so why can't he/anyone use the 220 volt tankless and do away with the gas line AND vent completely?
          unless you live next door to the nuclear power plant, you won't have enough amperage to heat up a cup of water

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            never sold a tankless to a customer. once i properly explained all the pros and cons, the customer has decided to stick with a proven tank.

            the payback is not there. the maintenance is required to maintain the warranty. the majority of customers never flush a tank water heater. not flushing a tankless is a voided warranty and a shortened heat exchanger life.

            new venting and gas piping are typically required to complete the installation.

            p.s. i have repaired many tankless that were not properly installed.

            i also bought one for my house and never installed it as my 40 gallon tank heater is still working 18 years now

            do a search on tankless to get all the past threads and input.

            i doubt that you'll be interested in a tankless once you read them.

            rick.
            Well there you have it.

            Tankless water heaters are worthless.

            The fact that the one I installed in a a large bakery with twenty fixtures that work just fine have no bearing on the subject, even though I installed it ten years ago.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

              During new construction without question I would go tankless. As a retrofit I think you need to do an inventory of what it will take versus savings. My 70-gallon water heater shares a platform with my 60-gallon compressor. If it were not for the gas line I would install a tankless just to save room.

              Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                Well there you have it.

                Tankless water heaters are worthless.

                The fact that the one I installed in a a large bakery with twenty fixtures that work just fine have no bearing on the subject, even though I installed it ten years ago.


                if you want to talk about larrs and raypack heaters/ boilers, i've installed hundreds in both new construction and service.

                but we are not talking commercial installations. i rather doubt the o.p. is talking anything more than a common residential installation.

                it must be keeping you up late to monitor just my post. funny as most of the others in the tankless debate have my same feelings.

                get some sleep and work on your facts. then i might actually take you serious.

                rick.

                hows that other forum treating you? you must be bored since you go both ways.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                  The installation was a Takagi, but I probably will stick to the other forum, it has a lot less opinionated west coast fools that think they are god's gift to the plumbing industry.

                  You wouldn't last ten minutes in the market I work in.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    if you want to talk about larrs and raypack heaters/ boilers, i've installed hundreds in both new construction and service.

                    but we are not talking commercial installations. i rather doubt the o.p. is talking anything more than a common residential installation.

                    it must be keeping you up late to monitor just my post. funny as most of the others in the tankless debate have my same feelings.

                    get some sleep and work on your facts. then i might actually take you serious.

                    rick.

                    hows that other forum treating you? you must be bored since you go both ways.
                    He's apparently happy on at least the three forums I know him on, as far as his opinion is concerned, I rate him up there with Mark...he knows his stuff.

                    Not at all looking to butt heads, but I personally think Tankless will eventually phase out tanks in the mainstream...once they get the prices down to Earthly figures.

                    Utah Mark says it VERY well, they're excellent on new structures where you have reign over running the pipe for them.
                    I have yet to get a single callback on any defect for a tankless I've installed except for one, a Bosch the homeowner had purchased at Blowes.

                    He now tells me he wishes he'd talked to me before getting the poiece of junk.

                    You seem dead-set against tanklless, I dunno why, but most plumbers that have installed them like them, excepting the price barrier.

                    There are always going to be opinions aside from your own.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                      Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                      The installation was a Takagi, but I probably will stick to the other forum, it has a lot less opinionated west coast fools that think they are god's gift to the plumbing industry.

                      You wouldn't last ten minutes in the market I work in.
                      You seem opinionated too. Does that make you a Midwest fool? Is calling people names how you last in your market?
                      I love my plumber

                      "My Hero"

                      Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                        Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                        The installation was a Takagi, but I probably will stick to the other forum, it has a lot less opinionated west coast fools that think they are god's gift to the plumbing industry.

                        You wouldn't last ten minutes in the market I work in.
                        you would be better as that forum is just for pro plumbers and not designed to help the general public.

                        since this forum has always been for the general public to ask questions,

                        it was nice knowing you. stick with their help since i'm no help to you

                        have fun with the pros and let me help the amateurs with my 33 years of plumbing.

                        too bad you never made it to the roundup. you would have been smoked too.

                        getting late you have a 7am start time with the guys.

                        rick.
                        phoebe it is

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                          Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          He's apparently happy on at least the three forums I know him on, as far as his opinion is concerned, I rate him up there with Mark...he knows his stuff.

                          Not at all looking to butt heads, but I personally think Tankless will eventually phase out tanks in the mainstream...once they get the prices down to Earthly figures.

                          Utah Mark says it VERY well, they're excellent on new structures where you have reign over running the pipe for them.
                          I have yet to get a single callback on any defect for a tankless I've installed except for one, a Bosch the homeowner had purchased at Blowes.

                          He now tells me he wishes he'd talked to me before getting the poiece of junk.

                          You seem dead-set against tanklless, I dunno why, but most plumbers that have installed them like them, excepting the price barrier.

                          There are always going to be opinions aside from your own.
                          lets see the facts. we all seem to agree that the install price is 2 to 3 times the cost of a replacement tank heater.

                          heater, gas , vent.

                          we all agree that the heater needs to be flushed 1 to 2 times a year.

                          so lets use my current gas bill of $15.00 a month for my water heater, dryer and gas oven/ cook top. we'll keep the winter furnace out of the equation.

                          so please show me how to pay back the original cost plus the upkeep of the annual cleaning.

                          won't even think about the cost and delay of service parts and qualified service people. remember it's no longer a gas valve or thermocouple.

                          what did we ever do before tankless came here?

                          remember my 40 gallon $100 heater is 18 years old and i've never replaced anything. i do run the hose bibb 2 times a year for 30 seconds.

                          i do have a jacuzzi tub that joey uses.

                          now i have a bidet seat and a tankless for sale that nobody wants

                          do the math and show me the numbers.

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                            Holy cow everything does not need to be a competition. I have always figured I've learned more from those I disagree with than those I agree with. Sometimes you just need to agree to disagree and go on. This site should be about an exchange of information.

                            Mark
                            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-29-2008, 12:05 AM.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Sometimes you just need to agree to disagree on go on.

                              Mark
                              How do you do this?
                              I love my plumber

                              "My Hero"

                              Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

                                Rick, your in the habit of inviting those who don't agree with you to leave the forum and join the pro's forum...not the best way to promote ridgid...imho.
                                The other forum is growing rapidly...even I'm surprised at it.

                                As far as your accolades at the roundup...you might be surprised to learn that it was a social event, it wasn't televised on ESPN.
                                You won a trophy, but aside from that it bears no weight on anything aside from a game at a social gathering....confuses me as to why that keeps coming up...it doesn't solidify your debate on tankless water heaters.

                                Again, not wanting to butt heads, but the topic is tankless water heaters last I checked, not leave the forum if you disagree or who can smoke who at thumb wrestling.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X