Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tankless HW heater vs tanked?

Rick, in MA where it gets cold, a water heater will cost just a wee bit more than $15 a month...a leeetle bit.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
      How do you do this?
      If you do not like "go on" you just don't use it.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Holy cow everything does not need to be a competition. I have always figured I've learned more from those I disagree with than those I agree with. Sometimes you just need to agree to disagree and go on. This site should be about an exchange of information.

Mark
        THANK YOU!

I tried to press "thank you" twice, but it ran away on me!

Disagreement is the very HEART of the learning process...taking it personal or diverting it to a completely different topic wins no gain.

Comment

The fact that something does not make economical sense does not mean it doesn't make sense. If everything I did made economical since I would not have much fun.

Mark

Comment

If everything I did made economical since I would not have much fun.

Mark
            Sometimes things you do don't make grammatical sense either, but they sure are fun
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

Not at all looking to butt heads, but I personally think Tankless will eventually phase out tanks in the mainstream...once they get the prices down to Earthly figures.

Utah Mark says it VERY well, they're excellent on new structures where you have reign over running the pipe for them.
              I have yet to get a single callback on any defect for a tankless I've installed except for one, a Bosch the homeowner had purchased at Blowes.

He now tells me he wishes he'd talked to me before getting the poiece of junk.

You seem dead-set against tanklless, I dunno why, but most plumbers that have installed them like them, excepting the price barrier.

There are always going to be opinions aside from your own.
              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              lets see the facts. we all seem to agree that the install price is 2 to 3 times the cost of a replacement tank heater.

heater, gas , vent.

we all agree that the heater needs to be flushed 1 to 2 times a year.

so lets use my current gas bill of $15.00 a month for my water heater, dryer and gas oven/ cook top. we'll keep the winter furnace out of the equation.

so please show me how to pay back the original cost plus the upkeep of the annual cleaning.

won't even think about the cost and delay of service parts and qualified service people. remember it's no longer a gas valve or thermocouple.

what did we ever do before tankless came here?

remember my 40 gallon $100 heater is 18 years old and i've never replaced anything. i do run the hose bibb 2 times a year for 30 seconds.

i do have a jacuzzi tub that joey uses.

now i have a bidet seat and a tankless for sale that nobody wants

do the math and show me the numbers.

rick.
              Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Rick, your in the habit of inviting those who don't agree with you to leave the forum and join the pro's forum...not the best way to promote ridgid...imho.
              The other forum is growing rapidly...even I'm surprised at it.

As far as your accolades at the roundup...you might be surprised to learn that it was a social event, it wasn't televised on ESPN.
              You won a trophy, but aside from that it bears no weight on anything aside from a game at a social gathering....confuses me as to why that keeps coming up...it doesn't solidify your debate on tankless water heaters.

Again, not wanting to butt heads, but the topic is tankless water heaters last I checked, not leave the forum if you disagree or who can smoke who at thumb wrestling.
              i gave you the facts and this is the best response you can answer it with?

yes it was a social gathering. but with 9 events planned there was a competition.

i guess his 10 minute jab was my reason for the roundup.

his commercial bakery installation has absolutely nothing to compare to the original question. a residential family installation.

i know form 4 years on the forum what the consensus of the others have stated. i doubt that his 2 months of being on this forum has given him enough of a chance to read back 4 years of others opinions.

all he has to do is a search on tankless and read the vast of other post.

but instead he attacks me on my opinion when there are a majority of us that agree on the tank vs. tankless debate.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Sometimes things you do don't make grammatical sense either, but they sure are fun
                Sometimes even a firefighter stumbles on the way to a fire but their dog does not take a bite out of them for it.

Mark

Comment

Online concensus of opinions vs ten years for a Takagi in a commercial restaurant...I dunno, but seems like the word "facts" varies by definition.

As far as his attack...this might have spawned his response:
                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  it must be keeping you up late to monitor just my post. funny as most of the others in the tankless debate have my same feelings.

get some sleep and work on your facts. then i might actually take you serious.

rick.

hows that other forum treating you? you must be bored since you go both ways.
                  It sometimes seems like you have to be right at all cost, I can personally attest to not finding your assessment of the hours I keep to be very friendly, nor boasting of winning a contest at the roundup.

I suspect he didn't like it either.

On topic, Takagi is a residential tankless, they're one of the more common names, along with Rinnai, Rheem, Paloma, or Noritz.

You might want to be open to the possibility that they aren't all junk heaps.

Also, here in MA $15 won't get you enough hot water for a pot of coffee.
                  The lowest hot water bill I have seen is $40 in the summer on an indirect run off a 90%+ boiler for a couple with no kids, they shower once a day.

Shave 1/3 off the $40 multiply by 12, then take $300 off the local gas co offers and you aren't so far off in terms of the cost of a powervent, which is required unless you want to dole out the cash to reline your chimney and stay with a draft vent.

You can usually break even within ten years depending on consumption, but when it comes time to replace, the cost is drastically lower because the piping & venting are all there.

I know you prolly wanna win the debate, but keep an open mind.

Comment

Sometimes even a firefighter stumbles on the way to a fire but their dog does not take a bite out of them for it.

Mark
                    Sometimes the lifeguard forgets to take the buoy into the ocean, but they can still pull the drowning person out of the water.
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Points well taken by all parties, now I think it's time to make nice so we do not lose the thread.

Mark

Comment

Sometimes the lifeguard forgets to take the boy into the ocean, but they can still pull the drowning person out of the water.
                        Touche!

Mark

Comment

Touche!

Mark
                          Whatever! You can't cheat!You have to wait and catch me making a typo on my own merits
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Whatever! You can't cheat!You have to wait and catch me making a typo on my own merits
                            But of course you are right.

Mark

Comment

But of course you are right.

Mark
                              Brenda trained you well Does she give lessons?
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Brenda trained you well Does she give lessons?
                                Yes but she charges more for girls.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X