Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well Casing

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
    Well, you might as well tell the guy how to tie his shoes...

I figured that'd go along with common sense.

Don't piss near the well head either.
    Not everyone knows everything about all things like you Aaron. They have not had the benefit of your years (or is it year) or experience.

How's that saying go, something about only stupid answers and there's no stupid questions?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I don't understand your point, what if the main valve has to be replaced, then you HAVE to shut it at the meter?
      Well maybe it's a location thing. Here our meters are inside our house right where the main enters the house. There is a valve before and after the meter. The curb valve is buried underground with very little access to it. When these valves break they are a p.i.t.a. as it needs to be dug up to be replaced. I guess N.C. is different, but we were always taught the curb valve is the absolute last resort. Anyway, I hope you go another 11 years without breaking one, but if one does anytime soon I have a feeling my ears will start ringing!

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
        Well maybe it's a location thing. Here our meters are inside our house right where the main enters the house. There is a valve before and after the meter. The curb valve is buried underground with very little access to it. When these valves break they are a p.i.t.a. as it needs to be dug up to be replaced. I guess N.C. is different, but we were always taught the curb valve is the absolute last resort.
        Ok that explains it, different situations completely.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

What was this thread about again?

Comment

Pissing outside and Old Cool Whip.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Never had one get me....but it might. I'm friendly with the local water maintenance guys so they can reset a yoke & meter without too much hassle.

I understand some areas of the country raise he!! if you touch the meter. Not that way here.

J.C.
              I live in a small mountain community, population about 2500, and there are three water companys I have to deal with. I was told not to ever touch their main valve, to call the office and they would send out their field techs to turn off the water and turn it on when I was done. I tried it their way, but I know all the guys they send out and they tell me not to bother them and do it myself, their not worried about it. I love small towns.
              The Other Rick

Comment

I also turn off the water at the curb. If it breaks, the city comes out and replaces free of charge. The one time I thought I was going to break one, I called the city and they came out 30 min later and turned it off for me.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  To continue b!tch!ng about access problems...It seems almost every house I go to lately has the main shut-off valve in some nasty, dirty, spider-infested crawlspace. I don't think I have actually touched a main valve in months...I just go straight for the meter pit in the street and shut it off at the city water meter with my meter-key.
                  My problem with main shutoffs is they're all gate valves. Close just fine until you snap the stem.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Out here--if you touch the curb valve and the city finds out---look out--if you touch it and it breaks, minimum 3,000$ billed to the plumber that touched it----thats why i only do it in emergencies!!!!

Comment

I like to run through the neighborhood with my curb key at 1:00 am and shut off random houses just for the fun of it. Then wait for service calls the next day.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I like to run through the neighborhood with my curb key at 1:00 am and shut off random houses just for the fun of it. Then wait for service calls the next day.

Comment

Working...
                        X