cross over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cross over

I moved a water heater about 2 feet from where it was .Now i am getting cross over in the kitchen not up stairs . I also rough in a new bathroom in the basement about 3 feet from the water heater . They never had this problem before ,can it be the old hot water heater(about 30 years old) is to high temperature .and can be crossing over . or do i need to put a check valve on the line , also the water is about 3 feet away from the hw .The inspector will inspect the bathroom not the wh .next week sometime

Re: cross over

We use copper flexes in E. Quake country. Ialways loop My cold, so the hot doesn't travel
    up and out
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Just moving a water heater does not cause crossover. To be more specific: Since you moved the W/H, you ? are getting hot water out
      a cold water faucet? Did you move any tees, or just extend existing
      lines?
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Could be that the tub/shower valve that you roughed in is on, and the spout/head nippels are capped. Cross over city. Make sure the mixing valve is off and see if that helps.

Greg
        Last edited by glkearns; 07-30-2008, 07:06 PM. Reason: more detail

Comment

I agree with glkearns.... good catch!

Comment

Yup, good catch. The new Delta has a cap, you pick the cartridge later with the finish. Causes a crossover. I just read "moved the W/H" and scratched my head.
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Just close the integral stops then.

Comment

No integral stops. Guessing but alot don't have them. I like it when they do.

J.C.

Comment

excellent catch <It is a delta with the cap .. thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    No integral stops. Guessing but alot don't have them. I like it when they do.

J.C.
                    Integral stops = code

Comment

Which code?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Which code?

J.C.

Not NPC......and I'm pretty sure NY is NPC like KY is.

Every integral stop I've found on shower faucets were "after" I had already turned the water off, and most all of them could not be turned off due to calcium buildup.

Of course, you could back them out and clean them for the next time....

I'm the kinda guy that one valve shuts it all down.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          Not NPC......and I'm pretty sure NY is NPC like KY is.

Every integral stop I've found on shower faucets were "after" I had already turned the water off, and most all of them could not be turned off due to calcium buildup.

Of course, you could back them out and clean them for the next time....

I'm the kinda guy that one valve shuts it all down.
                          NY state code says you must have integral stops on a shower valve. Why wouldn't you want a shut off on every fixture?

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            NY state code says you must have integral stops on a shower valve. Why wouldn't you want a shut off on every fixture?

Ahhh, it's a good idea, not saying it isn't. But they are concealed/hidden and most times on a Delta or Moen you can do a full rebuild without removing the cover plate.

That goes in line with other valves as well.

In my experiences though, those stops never provide a permanent seal to shut off water. It's like any other valve that was installed initially and not touched for years before being used.

Most of the 600 series Delta shower valves I run across had the integral stops.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                              Ahhh, it's a good idea, not saying it isn't. But they are concealed/hidden and most times on a Delta or Moen you can do a full rebuild without removing the cover plate.

That goes in line with other valves as well.

In my experiences though, those stops never provide a permanent seal to shut off water. It's like any other valve that was installed initially and not touched for years before being used.

Most of the 600 series Delta shower valves I run across had the integral stops.
                              I agree but the code is the code.

Comment

Working...
                              X