Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regulator need replacing?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Regulator need replacing?

    Hi,

    I came home from work this evening and there was a high pitch hum coming from the main water line that goes into the house. The pressure relief valve was producing a constant stream of water and by the look of things it had done it all day or for quite some time.

    When i released the pressure, the sound went away, but slowly water started dripping again and then the hum or whistling returned. I went to the local hardware store and bought a new PRV and replaced it, but when i turned the water back on the valve started a constant drip again, but no noises at all.

    Question: Does this mean that the regulator is bad?

    My pressure in the house is actually on the low side and when I reduced the pressure setting (counter-clockwise) after time, the PRV started dripping again.

    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

    Jeff Schneider

  • #2
    Re: Regulator need replacing?

    And the pressure is?

    A cheap tool if you don't have a pressure gauge in the line: A 1/4"
    pressure gauge, 1/2" x 1/4" brass bushing, 1/2" FIP x Fem hose bibb
    adapter. Put it together with teflon tape, stick it on any hose bibb
    faucet in the house and find out what the regulator is regulating to.
    They make fancy ones with spike needles but this sounds like a
    gradual buildup, and knowing the pressure will tell you if it's working
    or not.
    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Regulator need replacing?

      Often when a relief valve lets go it will not seal again. This is because the seat and spring assembly have been sitting for so long that either the spring has lost its tension or the seat assembly has become pitted and worn or the rubber seal has gone bad. Replace the relief.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Regulator need replacing?

        50psi

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Regulator need replacing?

          Thanks NHMaster. I replaced the valve already, but there is still pretty constant dripping.

          The house was built in '72 and we have lived here for 8 years and have never replaced the regulator or valve until I replaced the valve today.

          The pressure is pretty normal or even on the low side in the house at around 50 psi. It seems like changing the pressure setting on the regulator has little of no effect.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Regulator need replacing?

            Originally posted by jefsch View Post
            Hi,

            I came home from work this evening and there was a high pitch hum coming from the main water line that goes into the house. The pressure relief valve was producing a constant stream of water and by the look of things it had done it all day or for quite some time.

            When i released the pressure, the sound went away, but slowly water started dripping again and then the hum or whistling returned. I went to the local hardware store and bought a new PRV and replaced it, but when i turned the water back on the valve started a constant drip again, but no noises at all.

            Question: Does this mean that the regulator is bad?

            My pressure in the house is actually on the low side and when I reduced the pressure setting (counter-clockwise) after time, the PRV started dripping again.

            Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

            Jeff Schneider
            The relief valve should be changed. Think of it like a faucet that hasn't been opened in years, when you open it the dirt and debris that has built under the washer escapes and tends to get caught between the "washer and seat" and it keeps dripping/running

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Regulator need replacing?

              Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
              The relief valve should be changed. Think of it like a faucet that hasn't been opened in years, when you open it the dirt and debris that has built under the washer escapes and tends to get caught between the "washer and seat" and it keeps dripping/running
              I did replace it (with a new valve) already, but there is still a constant drip. the valve I replaced it with is rated at 150psi
              Last edited by jefsch; 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Regulator need replacing?

                It may be new, and it may be rated at 150 lbs., but if you are sure your pressure is only 50 lbs then it's defective. How sure are you that the
                gauge you're reading is good? New one or old one? Is it 50 lbs. when water is running, or static? Run water, see if the drip stops. Watch the
                gauge when you shut water off, it should go up until the regulator stops. Could be the regulator is leaking, not shutting off all the way, and
                your old gauge isn't giving you an accurate reading. I carry several of these hose bibb gauges (different ranges) so I can check the readings
                that existing gauges give, and you'ld be surprised how often they go bad. Unless it's a liquid filled one, it's probably an el cheapo gauge.
                Last edited by boillerman; 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM.
                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Regulator need replacing?

                  gauge is an older one so it may be bad. Even still the pressure out of the faucets and showers is actually fairly low.

                  I read another thread where they mentioned something about thermal expansion and it has been pretty hot here in southern california; 100°-plus, could this contribute to the problem?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Regulator need replacing?

                    Hmmmm. Not an issue I run accross in Michigan. Makes me wonder how
                    cold the drinking water is. Are you telling me your cold water is warm, or
                    that your place gets so hot the pressure builds in your house? Doubt it.
                    On the other hand, if you have an expansion tank, and the bladder is
                    bad, I've seen them actually build pressure instead of lose pressure.
                    Can't explain why that happens exactly, but I've seen it on heating systems a few times.

                    No, either the pressure is building to the relief valve's rating, or the relief valve is leaking before it get's there.
                    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Regulator need replacing?

                      What's the temperature setting on the water heater?

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Regulator need replacing?

                        Originally posted by jefsch View Post
                        gauge is an older one so it may be bad. Even still the pressure out of the faucets and showers is actually fairly low.

                        I read another thread where they mentioned something about thermal expansion and it has been pretty hot here in southern california; 100°-plus, could this contribute to the problem?
                        if you have a prv valve on the main you will need a expansion tank prv's act as one way valve's...... water's expanding and no place else to go but to tp valve on water heater i strongly recomend you install a thermal expansion tank..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Regulator need replacing?

                          Is it a gas or electric water heater, could be a temp. problem.
                          The Other Rick

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Regulator need replacing?

                            Jeff, here's a thought.
                            We have a new business/marketing part to our forum...
                            I'm happy to listen and help you to diagnose your dilemma...if you might pop into that forum and offer some good idea's on internet marketing or marketing in general for the steriotypical target audience of a plumber.

                            Deal?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X