Basement Plumbing Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement Plumbing Issues

Well I guess your financial situation justifies it then.

The vent can run horizontal and in your case for 60' or more.
    sigpic

Comment

NHMaster:

I am attaching a very poor drawing of our basement setup, to give you an idea of what I am dealing with. It is not to scale of course.

Can I really just run a piece of 1.5" PVC through the ceiling to join into the vent pipe in the bathroom, again, it is about 25" or so.

Do you think I could run the pipe myself and just have the plumber connect it? Or would it be possible to do the connection myself. I am sure the vent pipe is OLD (house is 75 years old).
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes you can run it throught the ceiling. It would be nice if it had a little pitch to it but it does not have to be 1/4 ipf. If you feel up to it, it is something you can do. Make sure to hang it every 4' and use the proper hangers.
        sigpic

Comment

You know, in Michigan everyone is using the AAV's even in new construction. They're everywhere now. I've had to replace a couple of them but all in all they seem to hold up. When putting them in, don't screw them in until the glue has had a couple hours to set. Something about the fumes causes failure. I don't think brand is as important as making sure you size it right.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

You will all take note of the incredible restraint I am engaging in. But I could pop at any minute
            sigpic

Comment

In these old homes in D.C. we are pretty much forced to use AAV's on occasion. If sized and installed properly they meet current code IPC here so no worries using one.

I would be less concerned about using the AAV than tying the washing machine guide box and kitchen drain together. Especially not knowing how things are piped under the floor.

Comment

I'm probably going senile in my old age so I'm having a hard time remembering what we did 20 years ago before aav's and sharkbites

Oh, now I remember, we resorted to old school plumbing. You know, when you didn't expect to have every job done in under 3 hrs.

Ok, so there goes the restraint, but I'm trying, really I am.
                sigpic

Comment

You really should have a doctor take a look at that bulging vein on your forehead

Comment

BP 185 over 130 normal
                    sigpic

Comment

I fail to see how he's going to tell the plumber he's hiring how he wants it done.

Are things different in DC?

Where I come from, the plumber goes in, evaluates the job and informs the homeowner how he'll do it.
                      If it's not agreeable, he calls other plumbers.

I get wack jobs calling me almost daily that tell me how I'm going to do my job...on occasion I'll commend them if they guess correctly, more often than not I avoid wasting my time.

Is this guy really hiring a plumber?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        BP 185 over 130 normal

Comment

I make a real effort to not use AAV's as it feels like "plumbing cheating".

Maybe they used to say the same thing when going from the majority of CI to PVC.

One reason I think you see more AAV's is owners/builders refuse to build chases etc. to accommadate proper venting.

Plus there are stricting framing inspections (GOOD) from what I've seen. I think we've all have been to more than our share of remodels where the original plumber just butchered the wood without reinforcement to allow for it. I know I have.

A positive to some AAV's is you can remove one and cable the line through it sometimes while running water with no additional setup.

On the sharkbite note, I wish they would ban the use of anything but copper water piping unless there was a test submitted to local inspection stating alternate material needed to be used.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by stubits View Post
                            NHMaster:

Can I really just run a piece of 1.5" PVC through the ceiling to join into the vent pipe in the bathroom, again, it is about 25" or so.
                            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I think we've all have been to more than our share of remodels where the original plumber just butchered the wood without reinforcement to allow for it.

J.C.
                            I may be stating the obvious, but don't cut out your floor joists to make room for the vent. There are many pitfalls, some less obvious than this one.

Call some plumbers (p-crack), get some bids, understand the work included in the bids; if one is dramatically cheaper you are likely getting what you pay for. Accept that once the wall is opened up some things that ought to be addressed will come to light and will cost extra to put right. Have them done. Take the hit up front; it will be less expensive than doing it two or three times. Understand that if you are calling for bids and using their expertise to design a system you do not intend to hire them to install, you will create enemies, and rightly so.

You may not have a better option, but understand that kitchen sink=grease, washer=lint, and grease + lint = clog. It will be prone to clogging, you will likely have to have it cleaned once in a while.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              BP 185 over 130 normal
                              Before you stroke out I just like to say how much I appreciate your contributions to this Forum

Been nice knowing you

Comment

NO OF COURSE HE'S NOT HAVING A PLUMBER DO IT, HE'S TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT HIMSELF LOOK AT THE QUESTIONS HE'S ASKING ! ! IF HE'S SAYS HE IS HIRING A PLUMBER HE THINKS HE WILL GET BETTER ANSWERS TO HIS QUESTIONS

IF HE HAS A PLUMBER HAVE THE PLUMBER POST HIS CO. NAME AND LIC. NUMBER HERE ! !
                                JERRYMAC
                                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                                X