X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement Plumbing Issues

Yes, we just bought the house and yeah, it passed inspection, all this mess was nicely covered by the walls and well, everything worked just fine. The sink and tub drained well, and the toilet flushed without incident, we've had people stay down there and no sewer gas odors, etc. There is really nothing that would have made the inspector think otherwise.

Toolaholic, thanks for the commentary, but if that is the case, what should a homeowner do? Just raze the structure entirely?

Duckbutter, thanks for the insight, would you be willing to explain why the diagrams won't work, just for my own edification?

PC, thanks, we unfortunately are not in a position to do a full repipe of the waste and vent system, having just bought our first home, we are pretty much at our limit. And if you're glad not to be involved, then we are super glad not to have involved you.

We have contacted an attorney to look into suing the company that renovated the property. Effectively it was a "flip" and a bad one, or so it seems, at that. That being said, my mother-in-law shows up on August 29th and the bathroom has to be put back together and the kitchenette finished, so we will figure out a solution.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Glad You are getting an attorney. I see way too much of this on TV and homes I remodel.
      From 47 years of remodeling experience, this is why I'd pass on Your work.
      I only go where there is Money and a win win. Customers need to be happy with the project
      looking forward to the new bath addition ,Deck,new kitchen. That can't happen in a situation like Yours. Sorry , glad You found a good plumber. Good luck
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Your up.....DUCK!!!
        Sounds like a good Bugs Bunny phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Your up.....DUCK!!!
          Sounds like a good Bugs Bunny phrase.
          "I dare ya to cross dis line...oh yeah, well I dare ya to cross DIS one.....DIS one.....DIS one....."

Comment

Stubits, it appears the general concensus here is that no one is going to offer specific details on how or what needs to be done.

You have a plumber...I guess we're not up to babysitting him or offering potential information that might encourage further perpetuation of the same mistake again.

Aside from that, I don't work in your code, the one guy here that does seems to have lost interest.

IF you're able to go after the "flipper" I am 100% behind the idea.

I think THIS will be an upcoming persuit for many new homeowners in coming years with the recent influx of HGTV fanatics that have underestimated the reality of trades & experience over the almighty buck.
            Last edited by DuckButter; 08-13-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              "I dare ya to cross dis line...oh yeah, well I dare ya to cross DIS one.....DIS one.....DIS one....."
              Ahhh,
              Bugs and Yosemite Sam.Some of the best alltime adversaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
                How do studors fail?
                Do they get clogged with bugs?
                Does a gasket dry out or something?
                I dont really know whats failing; Ive never bothered to take one apart and look at it. I just know I've found them to be the source of mystery smells, and have found them leaking water under a plugged up sink that is full.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  I dont really know whats failing; Ive never bothered to take one apart and look at it. I just know I've found them to be the source of mystery smells, and have found them leaking water under a plugged up sink that is full.

I believe the spring wears out

Comment

Per instructions, you're supposed to wait two hours after gluing before putting the AAV into the threads. Who waits? Supposedly the fumes from the glue deteriorate the rubber parts.
                    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

" Leaking water under a plugged up sink " That can't be code!!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        " Leaking water under a plugged up sink " That can't be code!!
                        It falls under the ID-ten-T code. This is the universal code for the the Home Flipper Association.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 08-14-2008, 10:35 PM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                        X