X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another WH question

Would it cause any harm to an electric water heater to unplug it for a while, like say for a week or two for vacation when the family is out of town? It seems like such a waste to keep water hot when nobody will be using it for a week or so.
    Thanks in advance for replies.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: Another WH question

no it wouldnt

Comment

not at all-
      good thinking--save energy

Comment

NO IT DOE'S NOT HURT THE WATER HEATER !
        " BUT ' it could hurt your family with bacteria ie; legional that grows in the lukewarm water waiting for you to return and use ! ! !
        so if you want to save a few dollars on electric, but end up paying medical bill's
        thats up to you ! !
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

yes thats true--damn your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
            NO IT DOES NOT HURT THE WATER HEATER !
            " BUT ' it could hurt your family with bacteria. . .
            Chalk up another point for tankless water heaters!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
              Chalk up another point for tankless water heaters!!!!
              yeah the $5 he saves by turning the water heater off when he doenst use it will pay for that tankless in no time!

Comment

electric tank heaters are maybe less than 10% for my customers.

but i do have a customer with a 80 gallon electric. he installed a water heater timer to shut off at night.

i forgot what he said his savings were, but we get billed every 2 months and it was enough to make it pay off immediately.

there is a timer made by "intermatic" designed for water heaters. basically it has an external tripper that allows you to turn on or off without opening the timer box.

i think it's a water heater watchdog or watt saver?

otherwise a t102 will work.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Guess its not such a good idea if the water won't stay safe. But Jerrymac, you got me wondering about Legoinairs disease. When I lived in Florida we lost power twice due to hurricanes and both times it was for about two weeks. This was pretty much widespread over a large area and there were never any reported cases after power was restored.

Rick, I had an Intermatic timer on the WH in Florida. Had it come on for two hours at 5 AM and again for 2 hours at about 6 PM. I don't know if it helped the power bill much, but it made me feel good. The best thing I ever did for our power bill was move to Tennessee. It's about half what we were paying in Florida and we have a bigger house. Add that to much lower property taxes and home owners insurance about one fifth of what it is in Florida. I wonder if OSC is happy with his move to Tennessee?
                  When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Want the crap scared out of you? Go to www.watts.com and fish the site for legionella bacteria or disease. They have a couple of vids on there that will really open your eyes. Just keeping a water heater at 120 is not enough. The bacterial can propogate in the downstream piping. They recommend keeping the tank at 140 and installing point of use tempering valves at all necessary fixtures.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Want the crap scared out of you? Go to www.watts.com and fish the site for legionella bacteria or disease. They have a couple of vids on there that will really open your eyes. Just keeping a water heater at 120 is not enough. The bacterial can propogate in the downstream piping. They recommend keeping the tank at 140 and installing point of use tempering valves at all necessary fixtures.
                      If I recall, the Nashua inspector requires 160 with tempering for this reason.

Synical thought...bet that keeps the locals real busy with replacements.

Comment

I'm guessing in Florida, with the amount of chlorine in the water we dont have to worry about legionella( I think pool water has less chlorine). DSurette's statement about taxes and insurance in Florida is dead on. I'm paying 1/5th the taxes in Colorado for more services.
                        Mike

Comment

If Legionnaires is such a threat, why don't they write it into the code to set temps at 140+ degrees for all storage type heaters with a thermostatic valve?

Also, why doesnt it develop in the long runs of hot water piping? Around the radiant heated area where temps could be in the range for developing the bacteria even if the setting is 140+?

Seriously asking.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            If Legionnaires is such a threat, why don't they write it into the code to set temps at 140+ degrees for all storage type heaters with a thermostatic valve?

Also, why doesnt it develop in the long runs of hot water piping? Around the radiant heated area where temps could be in the range for developing the bacteria even if the setting is 140+?

Seriously asking.

J.C.
                            Good point JC. I always wondered that too.

I think it also has to do with stagnation.

Comment

legionella bacteria is not effected by chlorine except in contrations that are high enough to be toxic or corrosive.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X