X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 300 machine

I am having problems threading schedule 80 seamless pipe.
    The maching slips and cannot hold the pipe while threading, usually the 3/4 and one inch pipe. I also am having trouble with the threads. One would be perfect (2.5 turns by hand) then the next will only turn once. I tightened the handle so the die didnt slip, but the treads were still different.
    So my question is when threading schedule 80 do you need different dies than regular schedule 40 dies?
    Do you think the pipe is slipping because of the paint used on the schedule 80?
    Thanks for your advice.

Re: Ridgid 300 machine

sounds like equipment needs a tune up or be replaced

Comment

Either clean or replace the vice pads (they pop right out) and make sure the die set is new and installed properly. The 300 uses the same dies for sch 40 & 80
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think it needs a tune up, and I didn't know that the dies are the same. thanks again

Comment

when i thread gal pipe, there is a tendency to slip if not tightend all the way down. the gal acts like a lube.

either clean the paint or replace the jaws.

the machine doesn't know the difference between sch. 40 or sch. 80. the cutting wheel and the reamer will notice. the dies thread to the same depth for both 40 and 80.

clean your jaws, and change the old oil. adjust your dies on a factory nipple and try again.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i suggest you replace the chuck jaw set. and try using universal high-speed dies 1/2 - 3/4" and 1 - 2"

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I really am amazed on the responses i got.
              Does anyone think it might just be a bad run of pipe? Is that even possible?
              Because we would get a perfect thread then the very next one be wrong. It can be very frustrating.

Comment

How can I tell if I am using high speed universal dies? Does it have any letters on them?
                Last edited by kennedy2022; 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM.

Comment

how do you get your pic up there?

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy2022 View Post
                    how do you get your pic up there?
                    If you're talkin about the pic on the left of a persons response, you go to user cp at the top left of the page and then to edit avatar. Either upload a resized pic from your computer or load one from an online source.

As for the original post, sounds like your rig needs a tune up. Should'nt slip like that if the machine is in proper working order. I would also check my dies and look at the threads they are cutting on sched 40. If your starting threads are choppy or chunking out, its time to replace the dies.
                    Last edited by ovruigo; 08-05-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

had that problem with crappy and threads going from good to bad. I found the prob was when you close the die head handle down(threading position) not all of the chases would engauge to the "threading position" make sure your chases are in thrie corrisponding # slots and that the allen key screws that hold the 2 halves of the die head together are tight. Maybe take the allen key screws out and make sure the chases arent getting gummed up on the inside of the die head. good luck
                      if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy2022 View Post
                        How can I tell if I am using high speed universal dies? Does it have any letters on them?
                        yes it does.. hss or high speed is written on it..

Comment

Working...
                        X