Water Booster Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Booster Pump

I am a homeowner and by no means a plumber. I did run all of the copper piping throughout the house on my own, also swapped out the old Electric HW (all of this under direction of a plumber).

We have recently in the past few months had the following installed, water softener, RO system.

Prior to install I could fill a glass very quickly out of the fridge door. Now it probably takes a minute to fill a quart sized glass of water.

Water pressure is great throughout the rest of the house except the fridge door.

I spoke with the plumber who installed it and he mentioned that a booster pump can be put in.

Do any of you have somewhere I could find one of these booster pumps? I will probably have the plumber who installed the other equipment come put it in but if I could DIY I could save some coin.

Thanks,

MP
    Last edited by Pegsmi98; 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM.

Re: Water Booster Pump

If the fridge has a water filter built in I would change that first, could have trapped debris from when the softener was installed, may also be a good idea to remove the supply line and flush it

Comment

If the rest of the pressure is good in the house the line to the fridge needs checking, boost pump will not help
      sigpic

Comment

Pressure is good throughout everywhere else in the house.

Was also great before the RO, Soft Water install.

Something plugging it to me would really make sense, hmmm teflon tape?

Ill have to check it out.

Comment

Quick question

Does the ice maker in your fridge take a long time to fill up with water after it dumps out cubes?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grunter View Post
            Quick question

Does the ice maker in your fridge take a long time to fill up with water after it dumps out cubes?

Yes, since the "installs" it sure does. And since it has began "hanging up" ice cubes and "plugging".

Comment

Originally posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
              I am a homeowner and by no means a plumber. I did run all of the copper piping throughout the house on my own, also swapped out the old Electric HW (all of this under direction of a plumber).

We have recently in the past few months had the following installed, water softener, RO system.

Prior to install I could fill a glass very quickly out of the fridge door. Now it probably takes a minute to fill a quart sized glass of water.

Water pressure is great throughout the rest of the house except the fridge door.

I spoke with the plumber who installed it and he mentioned that a booster pump can be put in.

Do any of you have somewhere I could find one of these booster pumps? I will probably have the plumber who installed the other equipment come put it in but if I could DIY I could save some coin.

Thanks,

MP

What did the Plumber install? You said you did the work but with some direction from a plumber. Guess he didn't mention that flushing the system should be done as part of putting it in service or you didn't pick up that tid bit of info on HGTV. Hopefully no one got (or gets) sick from your nasty (inside) pipes.

It's nice when you can DIY. IT's even better when you can DIR.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                What did the Plumber install? You said you did the work but with some direction from a plumber. Guess he didn't mention that flushing the system should be done as part of putting it in service or you didn't pick up that tid bit of info on HGTV. Hopefully no one got (or gets) sick from your nasty (inside) pipes.

It's nice when you can DIY. IT's even better when you can DIR.

I did do all of the copper piping (3 years ago), and yes we flushed all the pipes when completed.

I also completed alot of other projects that required clean up so alot of water was passed through the pipes before we moved in.

This is why Im asking these questions because it doesnt make sense to me as to why after installing the RO and water softener that I would have lost pressure to the fridge.

Comment

water softener and reverse osmosis units are two separate systems. So let's look at them one at a time.

If you have good hot and cold water flow and pressure at say your kitchen faucet and you have soft water when taking a shower then I'd say the water softener is doing its thing properly.

the reverse osmosis [RO] system is likely installed under the kitchen sink. Do you get good water flow at its dedicated spout? Does it run out of water quickly? Is the flow slow?

I assume the RO water also has a line going to your refrigerator, and the refrigerator has an in line filter?

I would suspect the RO unit has a dirty/clogged particle filter. I would replace the particle filter, carbon filter, and chlorine filter. Hopefully the membrane is not damaged! Verify the RO holding tank has the correct pressure...read your RO manual for this under charging the membrane in the RO water tank.

I would flush the line going to the refrigerator and look for kinks in the copper run.
                  You may want to remove the refrigerator filter as you are already sending RO water that should be perfect. It may be the extra filter in the refrigerator line is looking for a higher pressure than what the RO unit is providing causing the restricted flow.. Usually folks just tap into the cold supply under the sink and use the in line filter..using RO water is indeed better.

Finally be sure all filters are run the correct way! they do have arrows showing the flow direction.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
                    Yes, since the "installs" it sure does. And since it has began "hanging up" ice cubes and "plugging".
                    Shut off water at valve for the line going to your fridge. Then using a flare nut wrench and an open end wrench to hold fitting, remove the water line and being careful not to bend or kink the soft copper tubing put one end in a jug. Then have someone open the water valve and see what the flow is like. I bet it's slow and then pop and it opens up. Please report

A 1/4" OD soft copper tubing line isn't going to fill a gallon jug fast but the water should squirt out pretty well.

Do look for any kind of water filter in the line that might be plugged up. Minerals in my water forces me to change the filter here about every 2-3 months.

Cactusman - Great post
                    Last edited by Old Grunter; 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

the reverse osmosis [RO] system is likely installed under the kitchen sink. Do you get good water flow at its dedicated spout? Does it run out of water quickly? Is the flow slow?

I assume the RO water also has a line going to your refrigerator, and the refrigerator has an in line filter?

I would suspect the RO unit has a dirty/clogged particle filter. I would replace the particle filter, carbon filter, and chlorine filter. Hopefully the membrane is not damaged! Verify the RO holding tank has the correct pressure...read your RO manual for this under charging the membrane in the RO water tank.

I would flush the line going to the refrigerator and look for kinks in the copper run.
                      Cactus Man
                      good call cactus man

disconnect the line to the fridge and check the flow. if it's poor then the holding tank at the r/o unit is low on air or a bad bladder. this should affect the drinking water to the fridge too.

an automatic ice maker is filled by time, not by volume. if the cubes are small, then the flow is low and it needs more time to fill. this is adjustable. but at the same time you water through the door should also be weak.

test for good flow and let us know

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Also too-if you did not properly install the r/o filters at the first or last change that can cause low flow--r/o filter changes are not quick or simple--chemicals to be added and filters to be changed in certain order-if not done right,lots of air sticks in system---had the problem b4

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help, I do not have internet at home so I will try the things that you have advised and report back.

I am going to be out of town until Friday so I will definetely report back when I can.

Thanks much

Comment

Working...
                          X