Water Pressure/Flow Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pressure/Flow Problem

In Jan 2006 we moved into a newly contructed house. Ever since we moved in the water flow decreased dramitically whenever multiple faucets/showers are in use. Also, when using the outside hose bib the flow is strong for 20-30 seconds then drops off. It's at the point I can't even wash my car. It's finally on my nerves!

I checked with the Water Company who mentioned we have extremely high water pressure of 145 psi at the main. The plumber did install a PRV after the Supply line enters the house. Since the house sits 30 yards back from the road we have a meter pit near the road. Should the PRV have been installed in the meter pit prior to the meter?

I checked the pressure at a hose bib and the static pressure is 35-40 psi. However, when I turn on the kitched faucet the pressure drops to 20 psi. When I checked pressure over a 48 hour period it did spike at 50 psi. Should I adjust the PRV which claims to have a factory setting of 50 psi??

Any ideas???? I'm really hoping I don't have to dig up the supply line.....

Re: Water Pressure/Flow Problem

pex?

Comment

No Pex, It's some type of rigid plastic pipe. 3/4 piping for the supply line with 3/4 continued thru the visible plumbing in the basement. The Supply line from the meter is a black plastic pipe.

Code for new construction in my township requires a fire sprinkler system. I had to have a separate meter installed for the sprinkler as well. I shut off the fire sprinkler system with no change to regular water flow.

Comment

Here's some more information if it helps.

I ran both the tub in both the Master and Guest bath as I'm told they typically are not restricted. Both faucets only got slight less than 2 GPM.

The Showers which are designed for 2.5 gpm only go 1.5 gpm if I only ran one. Try to run both at the same time on the Master shower slows to a trickle.

Comment

Red flag 3/4" service AND FIRE SPRINKLER ????? That would be at least 1 1/4" service
          here!! Soo, everything That plumber did is suspect " As it starts,so it goes "
          My in laws lived in rural Penn. Handy Men do way too much skilled work in that area.
          A real plumber needs to check out Your plumbing
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The 3/4" Supply line is for the house plumbing only.

The Fire sprinkler system has it's own 1 1/2 Copper Supply line.

Two meters and separate supply lines for both systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Puglia View Post
              In Jan 2006 we moved into a newly contructed house. Ever since we moved in the water flow decreased dramitically whenever multiple faucets/showers are in use. Also, when using the outside hose bib the flow is strong for 20-30 seconds then drops off. It's at the point I can't even wash my car. It's finally on my nerves!

I checked with the Water Company who mentioned we have extremely high water pressure of 145 psi at the main. The plumber did install a PRV after the Supply line enters the house. Since the house sits 30 yards back from the road we have a meter pit near the road. Should the PRV have been installed in the meter pit prior to the meter?

I checked the pressure at a hose bib and the static pressure is 35-40 psi. However, when I turn on the kitched faucet the pressure drops to 20 psi. When I checked pressure over a 48 hour period it did spike at 50 psi. Should I adjust the PRV which claims to have a factory setting of 50 psi??

out here we always have the regulators installed after the water meter and next to the house where it enters.

you need to do a couple of test.

is there a way to measure the high pressure before the regulator?

is it possible to flow test the line prior or without a regulator?

it sounds like your regulator is set too low and it has a big drop off.

it's also possible that the regulator is restricted in the strainer creating the large drop off.

please list the size, brand, and location of the regulator.

some pictures would be great as it will take some guess work out of the equation.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

you have to have a fire sprinkler in a residential home????????--how big is the house---i have never seen fire systems in residential---little overkill

Comment

u have regulator problems--turn it up or clean the screen

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                    you have to have a fire sprinkler in a residential home????????--how big is the house---i have never seen fire systems in residential---little overkill
                    I totally agree!!!! We have township supervisors with too much time on their hands. It's a 3,000 sqf house but definitely not worth the expense. Plus I already had one leak in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Puglia View Post

There is definitely flow-restriction somewhere,
                      most likely the pressure regulator needs to be replaced (or some other valve is restricting the flow).
                      Last edited by Service Guy; 08-05-2008, 04:29 PM.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

your local law sure does like making enemies,huh---thats a large, unnecessary expense----honestly,please tell your city name and state, i want to do some research on why residential homes have fire systems--after ur post earlier, i happened to get called to our local firestation and i asked of this and they said i was misstaken---i explained and they said--thats a good thing, but the enforcers probably are ego freaks on a powertrip------why go above plumbing standards??????feel bad 4 ya----do you have to have it tested ever or is this limited fire with under 20 heads????did they put backflows on both lines also to be tested each year??????sounds like a possible dedicated fire main with a dedicated domestic main

sorry about all the questions, just amazed they go that far---tooooo overkill
                        did they also require a 200 ft deep tornado shelter with running water???

Comment

fire sprinkler are nothing new around here.

private residential homes have required them for a number of years in both beverly hills and culver city (home of sony studios) and los angeles.

you don't even have to be in a hillside community.

out here it's part of the domestic meter. installed prior to the main house shut off and typically only a check valve was required. there is a flow switch and usually a tamper switch, along with an alarm bell.

now with cpvc fire sprinkler pipe, the cost is way down. plus your insurance bill is much less.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

i believe in copper plumbing only--i would never ever use plastic in a home--especially on fire---i giant hotel was built here 2 years ago--opened up and business was good-until last march--fire system was all sch.80 cpvc-at the 1st annual testing, the guys testing the standpipe pressurized to 250 lbs with the fire chief---within 10 minutes the standpipe blewapart in 2 spots--causing pretty good damage,as walls and rooms had to be torn apart to find breaks--after investigating, it was found that pipe had blown apart between floors--not at a fitting, but at pipe itself---now would steel pipe do that??????NO WAY

the moral of my story is i know copper is time tested and i would never sacrifice quality install for cheap install--id rather not do it if that is what is wanted--i understand the economy sux and there are lots of real lowbidding hacks,,but i can leave a job after propressing or soldering copper and know i wont have to return for faulty pipe--i sleep real good at night---as i said, i use only copper and wont install plastic or poly mains in a house or building- and i have a pretty high retaining rate on my customers---now for outside irrigation--different story

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              . plus your insurance bill is much less.

rick.
                              My house has sprinklers, and according to my ins. guy it is kind of a double edge sword. On one hand your insurance is reduced (fire) on the other hand the water damage caused by the Sprinkler going off raises it up some. His example to me was a small fire in an upstairs bedroom 1 head goes off, and by the time the water is shut off the water has flooded the entire downstairs, and much of the upstairs floor...Our savings with the sprinklers was/is minimal. I got more of a discount for the EQ valve that I installed.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X