Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Anyone know of "No-Rotate" or "no-turns"?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of "No-Rotate" or "no-turns"?

I had an OLD faucet in my tub, circa 1955. It was replaced with a duplicate in about 1975, found one at an old plumbing supply house here. This one is old and giving me fits, going through seats and flat rubber seals on the stems. Drip, drip, drip. The new rubber disks and seats last about 4-6 months before a seat will get a nick and tear the rubber. Stem seals are shot too but atleast it just drips back into the tub when filling or running the shower. I tried packing them with graphite string years ago but it didn't last long. Now they are just too crusty to get apart. I have tried to find the same complete stem assembly but the two places I went to had no idea of the brand, since the valves are not marked and because they were so old.

A friend of mine suggested I try to find some "no-rotates", or as one place remembered them, as "No-Turns". It takes the place of the rubber seal that butts to the seat, except it does not screw on the stem, it has a little spread brass shaft that is just pushed into the stem hole. The idea is it does not turn on the seat when the stem is turned off, but is just pushed against it, never allowing itself to be torn. He had an old box but they were all too big. These were marked "No-Rotate 3/8" ". Apparently I need the next size down for it to fit into the valve body in the wall. He also told me they quit making them a long time ago. Anyone know if they are worth it or available somewhere?

I'd love to change the valve out to a single handle but the spread between hot and cold is about 12" !!!! Very wide. Plus, it would mean tearing up my nice tiled surround. It "can" be accessed from behind the dishwasher on the kitchen side of the wall, but would be a real pain for me ( 6'-7" ) to get back in there for an hour or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by The Wood Meister; 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Anyone know of "No-Rotate" or "no-turns"?

That's strange that the seats are wearing down so fast! Either the replacement seats are junk quality, or there is something else wrong with the valve causing the premature failure. Are you using the proper seats and washers for this valve? Have you tried replacing the entire stems? Maybe the stems are somehow damaged and rubbing metal on the seats...something is not right. A good seat and washer on a good valve-stem will take years before they wear out.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The "no-rotates" are not the answer to this dilemma imo. Something else is wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. This latest replacement came right after replacing my water softener. I noticed some little grit crap on the "cold" washer today when I pulled them out. Maybe some crap dis-lodged during the WS install, but it's usually a twice a year thing anyway. It's possible that the seats are junky but I don't have a lot of choices around here. It was also suggested to try the harder nylon washer on the stem but they didn't have any in my size......Kinda like my shoes! LOL (18EE)

I dunno, it's not dripping for now and my wife will be happy. We don't "rip them down" either, just gently close them to try to make them last longer.

Are there any online supply houses that specialize in older complete stem assemblies? I can remove one and take some measurements and pictures if anyone thinks that would help ID them. These are quite long and don't need to stick out 2" from the tile. I guess shorter would work ok too.

Mark

I
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I'd like to a pic of this thing, can you post one?

Comment

I pulled the hot stem, here is a picture. The chrome stem body is 1" diameter and 3" long. The thread diameter is 3/4" with a reach length of 5/16".

My wife keeps asking why it is when the hot is on, it drips from the cold stem and vise versa. I told her it's OLD,,,,,like us!!! LOL

Last edited by The Wood Meister; 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM.

Comment

doesn't the chrome sleeve come off the stem to expose the actual stem?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Yep, the stems are chipped. Thats what I thought, the chipped brass 'cup' around the washer is damaging the seat.

Get new stems and seats.

Comment

just noticed that the cup retainer is missing a chunk. you need to file off the cup that holds the washer and install a replacement cup. chances are it's 1/4 L as you said 3/8'' is too large.

these replacement cups are avaliable and also change to a monel screw.

can you give me the seat thread pitch and size. tpi and diameter. this will quickly narrow down the search.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

Get new stems and seats.

Hmm, that's easier said than done. Some time back, I took the stem to a pretty complete plumbing supply store and they had nothing like it. They had some much shorter but not that long. Overall STEM length is about 3 3/4". But if I can find a complete stem and body, it can be up to an inch shorter overall.

I need 3, center one is the shower diverter.

The chrome is on the stem body, it's not a sleeve. I've had the stems out but could not find.
                    Last edited by The Wood Meister; 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      just noticed that the cup retainer is missing a chunk. you need to file off the cup that holds the washer and install a replacement cup. chances are it's 1/4 L as you said 3/8'' is too large.

these replacement cups are avaliable and also change to a monel screw.

can you give me the seat thread pitch and size. tpi and diameter. this will quickly narrow down the search.

rick.

Ok, what is a "monel screw"?

Had a "duh" moment and missed the "seat thread pitch". part. I'll go get one and ck it.

seat THREAD diameter is 1/2". Seat thread reach is 3/16" with 3 threads showing.

Comment

Are you sure the stem doesnt come out of there? How about a picture of the handle and escutcheon. It looks very familiar, I think I have one in my washer repair box, Ill have to check tommorow

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          That's strange that the seats are wearing down so fast! Either the replacement seats are junk quality, or there is something else wrong with the valve causing the premature failure. Are you using the proper seats and washers for this valve? Have you tried replacing the entire stems? Maybe the stems are somehow damaged and rubbing metal on the seats...something is not right. A good seat and washer on a good valve-stem will take years before they wear out.
                          Second post, First response....I'm a damn genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            Are you sure the stem doesnt come out of there? How about a picture of the handle and escutcheon. It looks very familiar, I think I have one in my washer repair box, Ill have to check tommorow
                            I may have miss-understood an earlier question.

Yes, the stem DOES come out of the large chrome valve. I had it out YEARS ago but it's sooooo corroded now, I don't think there will be much left inside for the stem seal to press into.

The escutcheon and handle are NOT original, just something I found long ago that fit, after the original ones crusted up and finally rotted off! LOL Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                              Ok, what is a "monel screw"?

Had a "duh" moment and missed the "seat thread pitch". part. I'll go get one and ck it.

seat THREAD diameter is 1/2". Seat thread reach is 3/16" with 3 threads showing.
                              monel is great for corrosion resistance, with a high content of nickel.

some seats are available in monel and they last a lifetime.

Monel is a trademark of INCO ALLOYS INTERNATIONAL, INC (formally International Nickel Co.) for a series of nickel steel metal alloys, primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with some iron and other trace elements. Monel was created by David H. Browne, chief metallurgist for International Nickel Co. The alloy is binary alloy of the same proportions of nickel and copper as is found natrually in copper ore. Monel was named for company president Ambrose Monell, and patented in 1906 ( U.S. patent 811,239).

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X