No announcement yet.

Working with old hub and spigot C.I.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working with old hub and spigot C.I.

Thanks Rick ,have the irons, and ladle plenty of 20 lb propane tanks. Need the rest.
    want to do the right thing. I'm on the hunt for the rest
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you are just doing one joint i usuallyjust melt the lead right in the ladle. I only do a couple a year. Most of the time I can cut off the hub and mission coupling onto the pipe.

Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg. I will get the large pot. Runners ect. I like plumbing, and want to learn more before I croak. I have several weed burners from welding. I could fab. up My own burner set up.what do You think? checking E bay and Craigs list
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

IPC won't let you use lead wool or silicone, epoxy or anything else other than lead that you can think of, though I've seen a lot of siliconed joionts over the years and noe have leaked.
          sigpic

Comment

Another source for lead tools is old retired telephone guys. There is still a lot of lead covered telephone cables in the ground and ductwork.

Most joints were pot wiped much the same as old lead plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by se215 View Post
              how do you use lead wool in the joint?
              i have always packed oakum and poured lead
              do you just pack the lead wool into the joint
              do you need anything else
              Actually, in a pinch lead wool melts alot faster.
              For the price difference I say not so fast that I'd use it though.

Comment

I like old wheel weights. They have a little antimony in them so the lead sets harder. Besides the auto shop gives them to us for free and in a public high school free is the absolute best word in the dictionary.
                sigpic

Comment

this is kinda off the subject, but was stated,
                  How the H3ll am I supposed to get that joint apart.
                  but for loctite and epoxies most of the time jsut heat the joint or bolt or what ever up some and usly it will come apart with relative ease, most of this type of product, fail when heated, normaly less than 500 degrees,

there are heat resistant epoxies, but you normally have to go out looking for them,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I like old wheel weights. They have a little antimony in them so the lead sets harder. Besides the auto shop gives them to us for free and in a public high school free is the absolute best word in the dictionary.
                    Go talk to the sheriff and see were his boys like to practice.See if he'll let the kids sift out the lead.Something about cops helping kids goes over well in every community.Kids will get a kick out of it.
                    A buddy of mine is allowed to sift out lead where law enforcement trains north of here.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Go talk to the sheriff and see were his boys like to practice.See if he'll let the kids sift out the lead.Something about cops helping kids goes over well in every community.Kids will get a kick out of it.
                      A buddy of mine is allowed to sift out lead where law enforcement trains north of here.

adam, he might need to talk to the deputy

sheriff's been shot

but they didn't shoot the deputy

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

You just ruined Bob for me Rick. Nice try though.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          Actually, in a pinch lead wool melts alot faster.
                          For the price difference I say not so fast that I'd use it though.
                          I can't remember the brand(eighties),but everytime I tried to melt lead wool I got a lot of slag and noxious fumes.

Comment

guys, lead wool is like $20.00 a pound now

don't go burning it up

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

A friend of mine, plumber, was ragging me for noticing a bucket of lead rings from demo'd CI joints.
                              He told me "Buddy, leads not that expensive"...I told him he'd been working for a shop too long.

Comment

We reused the lead from old CI demos too. Smashing the hubs and pulling the lead was good busy work for the apprentices. We rarely purchased lead.

Comment

Working...
                                X