X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with old hub and spigot C.I.

I use a lot of Hilti epoxy in Earth Quake retros. It holds the threaded rod for anchor bolts
    in foundations. The Question is , Any mechanical reason You couldn't use this epoxy to make up a joint instead of lead wool!! I can't imagine any leak or failure , It's an awesome product!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Working with old hub and spigot C.I.

Code, code, code. No epoxy code.

J.C.

Comment

Tool, lets say 20 years from now I need to remodel Mrs. Smiths house which you just epoxied your fitting/pipe into and I absolutely need to put a new branch fitting as low as it can go. How the H3ll am I supposed to get that joint apart. Now I have to jackhammer Mrs. Smith's(heirs) floor up.

I think that would be a strong arguement. Besides, pouring a joint every couple of years or so is good practice.

Greg

Comment

I'm going to close my eyes, pretend you didn't ask that while I click my heels together and recite "there's no place like home...there's no place like home"

Comment

Maybe ,if I throw in a scooter vent , I'll draw out Master. Ok ,I'll still use lead wool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Maybe ,if I throw in a scooter vent , I'll draw out Master. Ok ,I'll still use lead wool
            Why no oakum and molten lead? Like the good ol' days?

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
              Why no oakum and molten lead? Like the good ol' days?
              Yeah, isn't he the one that tells us he's been doin' this for like 100 years er somethin'?

Comment

Actually ,this is My 47 th year in the trades. Plumbing since, 1984. Never poured lead,Don't have the tools , I'll pack lead wool , have some at the shop from about 10 years ago.
                If I can find it! Thanks' for the advice

Comment

I'll have to dig up my tools and exchange a couple of joint pouring lessons for a couple of welding lessons.

And there will be a test.

Greg

Comment

you're on. #3 daughter , 2 grandsons , will be at the shop this Thur. from Wash. state.
                    My son Brian and I are going to have them weld most of the day. Also we'll be playing with the plasma cutter. Projects are 2 stainless Guitars,4 Orcas [killer wales cut outs ] , for their
                    Island home in the San Jauns. Obstruction Island. If You can .stop By for some lessons.
                    I'll buy lunch,You have My # Off to Bed. Tool

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Actually ,this is My 47 th year in the trades. Plumbing since, 1984. Never poured lead,Don't have the tools , I'll pack lead wool , have some at the shop from about 10 years ago.
                      If I can find it! Thanks' for the advice
                      Being you're in the trades for 47 years I'm sure you know that it's not the lead that makes the joint water tight its the oakum, so yes I guess you could use epoxy but then again you could probably use anything that will hold the oakum in place. Maybe if you dont have the proper tools you could use TY seals
                      Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-06-2008, 10:52 AM.

Comment

how do you use lead wool in the joint?
                        i have always packed oakum and poured lead
                        do you just pack the lead wool into the joint
                        do you need anything else

Comment

Originally posted by se215 View Post
                          how do you use lead wool in the joint?
                          i have always packed oakum and poured lead
                          do you just pack the lead wool into the joint
                          do you need anything else

A Hackers license

Comment

Thanks again. bought 3 caulking irons Oakum and lead wool. did about 1" of lead It took about 1/2 hour. Water tested fine. We installed a driveway drain in S.F. This got connected to the C.I. house drain. I'm checking craigs list for the lead setup, Next one will be poured

Comment

lead wool is not legal

but on a horizontal joint under a house, i close my eyes and look the other way

i keep enough lead and oakum in the truck to do a few 4'' joints.

i have 3 boxes of oakum as when you don't have it handy, you need to buy a whole box. so now i have 3

i still like poured closet rings.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X