Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you guys think

Similar story -
    My dad was a brick mason for thirty years and had the typical knee, back & wrist problems.
    When the doctors had nothing more than narcotics to offer him, he started doing tai chi.
    After a few years of practicing, he's now pain and arthritis free.

Comment

I worked with a guy that used acupuncture for pain relief in his tennis elbow

Anyone try that? and did it work?

Comment

Coincidentally, I just rehabbed a torn meniscus with acupuncture. My doc said that my degree of tear would take 3 to 4 weeks to heal, but I was back on my feet in 2 weeks.
        Was it the two sessions of acupuncture that sped up my healing? Or was it just that I'm younger than the average torn meniscus patient?
        That's one problem with some alternative medicines, is that they work with more subtlety, so it's hard to gauge their effectiveness.
        As more health insurances cover what they call "integrative medicine," which is the combining of Western and Eastern practices, we'll have more evidence as to what works and what doesn't.

Comment

I think we plumbers do give a lot for our trade, though not as much as those before us did thankfully. But then most of the construction trades take it out of you. Roofers, masons, carpenters ect. We all pretty much suffer from the same type of problems. Would I have still done it if I knew then what I know now? Probably, but then again when you're young you tend not to give your health a lot of thought. Ask me sometime what happens after 50 years of eating sausage and steak. I hope the next generation is a little more aware of the risks and that you guys are taking a moment to think about what your are working with and doing during the day. Truth is, there is really no need to put yourself at risk. Remember to wear your knee pads and back brace, safety glasses and hearing protection. Keep primers and glue off your skin. And for gods sake don't lift with your back. Read the MSDS warnings that come with chemicals and materials and understand the health risks. I don't see why plumbing and hvac work need to be hazardous to yourself if you just stop and think.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah I have been staying in shape practicing Chi Kung, ever since Tyman showed us "monkey steals the peach", thanks Tyman

Comment

A sticky thread with health related questions would be more than what we have now. We could start out with that and if it grows maybe then have a seperate forum.

Andy

Comment

Quite frankly, I saw this thread as an opportunity to actually agree with Andy on something...for once.

There are ailments relative to our trade that come up alot more frequentlky, like knee's, back and joints.

The only right advice is "see a doctor", but it might be nice to know what to expect if I had surgery coming up from someone who'd been there.

Comment

Working...
                X