X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sump pump advice

do not use a hydromatic--they are very cheap--any plumber in this area that cares about his reputation will not ever use hydromatic--plastic pumps are junk----junk junk junk-----as a matter of fact, a few years ago , hydromatic had a huge recall on bad switches--and they didnt even cover the labor--so the poor guys that put them in had to eat the labor and look like fools installing junk-----id rather stick to a solid long lasting pump----and zoeller pumps will outlast and out perform hydro's--the supply houses out here that stock hydros always tell people to spend a couple extra bucks and buy a better name---thats a fact

remember--its your valuables that get destroyed when it fails--wouldnt u rather have a good pump??????

Comment

like duck said--u may have to wedge a brick or shim in between wall and pump as vibration may move it around----good luck and thank me the next time it rains and the zoeller keeps up and does not fail--also dont forget the check valve!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I would not buy ANY Ridgid pump. I've read too many problems on THIS forum about them and there switch system. Stick with Zoeller. Proven.

You need a certain size pit for whatever pump you install. It must be large enough that the pump does not short cycle & decrease its useful life.

Good Luck.

J.C.
        I only mentioned the Ridgid SSP-1000 1 HP pump as I found it has the smallest foot print and being a 11" pit he needs all the space he can get. Also with a lifetime warranty if it does go out as long as he keeps his recipe Ridgid replaces it at no cost!
        ________
        Buy no2 vaporizer
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
          do not use a hydromatic--they are very cheap--any plumber in this area that cares about his reputation will not ever use hydromatic--plastic pumps are junk----junk junk junk-----as a matter of fact, a few years ago , hydromatic had a huge recall on bad switches--and they didnt even cover the labor--so the poor guys that put them in had to eat the labor and look like fools installing junk-----id rather stick to a solid long lasting pump----and zoeller pumps will outlast and out perform hydro's--the supply houses out here that stock hydros always tell people to spend a couple extra bucks and buy a better name---thats a fact

remember--its your valuables that get destroyed when it fails--wouldnt u rather have a good pump??????
          plastic my a$$.... what do you think we use in big pump stations that serve municipalities, hydromatic and ABS... just because you dont know about something you shouldnt knock it. I like zoeller pumps, installed many of them, i have alos installed hydromatic, abs, tsurumi and goulds... i have not had problems with a one of them. but installing any pump with a float he will have problems, the float will get hung up and burn out prematurely... ANY PLUMBER THAT CARES ABOUT HIS REPUTATION should not sell someone something that because of their own ignorance isn't going to work right as soon as the pump start to vibrate in the least bit! I stand behind everything I have ever installed to this day! and i also have to stand behind the design and installation of multimillion dollar lift stations that serve communities... I do care about my reputation

Comment

Hello - I'm a novice & new member here. I'm really surprised to see the extent to which Zoeller pumps are embraced here - as mine failed in about 5 yrs with no warning...it was installed by local plumbing firm at significant cost. It is a float model, not pedestal....and I don't have measurements, but it appears to be a 12" sump about 20 - 24 in deep.

It was an ugly christmas morning surprise. Fortunately, I had saved an older pump (unknown make) and with my neighbors assistance managed to re-install it to drain the water from my basement.

My friday trip to Home Depot resulted in my bringing home a Ridgid, model SP-500. I hope that this model will be better than the Zoeller model was!

Since basement flooding has occurred in my Ohio home frequently due to either 1. electrical failure or 2. sump pump failure (twice) or 3. check valve failure or 4. contractor negligence, I am planning to put in this Spring a generator backup for the pump and furnace/fridge/lights, as well as having a 2nd pump as backup in event of failure....it will be costly, but 6 flood events have been both costly and extemely tiring/frustrating...so hopefully there will be no more! I do suspect that winter freezes on my outside drain have contributed to the problem more than once.

If there are other elements I should consider in my pump purchase (its not yet installed or out of box) I'd welcome knowing them!
            thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaries View Post
              Hello - I'm a novice & new member here. I'm really surprised to see the extent to which Zoeller pumps are embraced here - as mine failed in about 5 yrs with no warning...it was installed by local plumbing firm at significant cost. It is a float model, not pedestal....and I don't have measurements, but it appears to be a 12" sump about 20 - 24 in deep.

It was an ugly christmas morning surprise. Fortunately, I had saved an older pump (unknown make) and with my neighbors assistance managed to re-install it to drain the water from my basement.

My friday trip to Home Depot resulted in my bringing home a Ridgid, model SP-500. I hope that this model will be better than the Zoeller model was!

Since basement flooding has occurred in my Ohio home frequently due to either 1. electrical failure or 2. sump pump failure (twice) or 3. check valve failure or 4. contractor negligence, I am planning to put in this Spring a generator backup for the pump and furnace/fridge/lights, as well as having a 2nd pump as backup in event of failure....it will be costly, but 6 flood events have been both costly and extemely tiring/frustrating...so hopefully there will be no more! I do suspect that winter freezes on my outside drain have contributed to the problem more than once.

If there are other elements I should consider in my pump purchase (its not yet installed or out of box) I'd welcome knowing them!
              thanks.
              Do a thorough search on the Ridgid SP-500 pump you have now

I strongly advise you to go back to the Zoeller

Comment

Working...
              X