Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump pump advice

Hi,
    I have a Wayne 1/3h.p. PTU33 1.5" discharge pedestal sump pump in a 23" deep 11"x11" pit in my finished basement with poured concrete floor and walls. The pump looks old and given proximity to my home theater, I want the best possible replacement without redoing my pit.

Ideally, I'd do a Zoeller M53 submersible but unless you tell me otherwise, my pit is too small. Zoeller customer service also told me that the Zoeller Model 84 pedestal needs 18" wide.

The Ridgid SP-500P is similar to the Model 84, but only asks for 11". So, I'm wondering whether the Model 84 might actually be OK in my pit. (I'd get the SP-500P but it has switch issues that I've read about).

Should I give up on the Model 84? Or can you suggest an alternative?

BTW Although a secondary pump is out of the question too, at least my whole house is on backup generator and I'll put an AquaNot flood alarm nearby.

Thanks!

Re: Sump pump advice

dont use a pedestal--use the zoeller m53 and 4 extra safe protection use the zoeller 507 battery backup system---ive never had a problem with either and have installed thousands---zoellers last a long time--im not a fan of pedestal pumps--get the m53--u will thank me later

Comment

i love ridgid products , just dont have experience with the sump line--if its like all other ridgid products, its probably the best---but i have real good luck with zoeller, and the m53 should fit without a problem

Comment

also if u use the 507 backup, dont get cheap and by a battery from the car parts store--buy zoellers aquanot battery--mine has been in my basement for over 7 years--never an issue

Comment

plumberjr,

You've used the M53 and the 507 backup in an 11" x 11" pit like mine? Then, I'm sold -- but why does Zoeller say minimum 18"? Geez.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

i dont have the specs on me for either--but i know ive fit an m53 in a small crock before--im not sure about the backup--it may fit if you place the discharge as close as possible to the wall--the backup kit comes with a tee and the pump glues right into it--matter of fact the backup will fit-u just have to keep things tight and close--obviously, a standard crock size would be better , but if thats not gonna happen, you have no choice- i just measured a m53 thats in my garage and its about 10 inches --it will fit--the backup will be tight ,though--i could make it work

Comment

18 x 24 is typical and should be used--but if u arent gonna change it,you have no choice---you need to keep water out and this will

Comment

I've also read about potential switch problems on the Zoeller M53...

I'm still leaning towards the M53 thanks to plumberjr's advice, but how about replacing the switch with an electronic one...

http://www.amazon.com/Floodfree-Elec.../dp/B000XT3R1C

Comment

With a generator you shouldn't need a battery backup. If you do go the battery back up route you will need to get a check valve that screws into the pump itself to give you enough room to put the units in and seeing you only have an 11" X 11" pit you will have a heck of a time getting it all in especially if you have any drain pipes sticking into the side of the crock. I would buy the Ridgid SSP-1000 it has a 9" footprint so you wont have any problems getting it in the 11" pit. I would probably just buy a extra sump pump in case the pump goes bad you will have one to throw in seeing you have a alarm
                  ________
                  Chrysler Newport History
                  Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:14 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

I have yet to see a zoeller switch problem--ive seen 18 year old zoeller pumps burn out--thats it though--if you have a generator-forget the backup if it is an auto engage generator

Comment

Info sheets on Zoller "50" series.
                      http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcopdfdocs/FM0493.pdf

Comment

I would not buy ANY Ridgid pump. I've read too many problems on THIS forum about them and there switch system. Stick with Zoeller. Proven.

You need a certain size pit for whatever pump you install. It must be large enough that the pump does not short cycle & decrease its useful life.

Good Luck.

J.C.
                        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-09-2008, 12:21 AM.

Comment

agree with JC 110%. Id try hydromatic d-a1 in my opinion a little better than a zoeller they have better customer support in my area and that is the most important part of the equation. They last just as long as a zoeller whatever you do stay away from the ridgid.... do a search on this forum and review the horro stories yourself!

Comment

if you do want to go with a zoeller go with a diaphram switch in your tight area 11"x11" ANY float may get hung up!

Comment

Originally posted by robg View Post
                              plumberjr,

You've used the M53 and the 507 backup in an 11" x 11" pit like mine? Then, I'm sold -- but why does Zoeller say minimum 18"? Geez.

Thanks for the reply!
                              I've done that exact set-up in a 12" hole and wound up having to go back.
                              The float got stuck against the side if the pit when it turned on and stayed up.

I wound up shimming it to space the float.

An 11" hole...I dunno, the 12" was tight as it was.
                              Also the 507 staggers to prevent air lock...may not work in that space, or it may...your gamble.

Comment

Working...
                              X