Running water lines from house to barn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running water lines from house to barn

My opinion. Call a well contractor and get a price. Independent well without the underground line to worry about.

J.C.

Comment

Is PEX pipe the same as the polyethylene pipe mentioned in the thread? I called Lowes and they said it sounds like what we are looking for - PEX pipe, she says she has it in red, white and blue (I'm guessing those colors most be thickness differences, or diameter?) and also a black thin pipe, all used for running portable water, on a 100' roll. Thanks.

Comment

PEX is a different material from Polyethylene Pipe. (Black Pipe) The colors have nothing to do with the size. Just for easy ID and some UV protection depending on product. There are problems with Zurn PEX that some of the homecenters carry that has yet to be ironed out last I read. DO NOT PUT IN THIN BLACK PIPE. I know you want to DIY, but from what I've read you might come out just as well hiring a licensed plumber or a licensed well contractor. I'm a plumber but I think you're best answer is the well contractor. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Okay, thanks. I don't think we want a well, but I did try calling three plumbers today and managed to get one appt out of those calls, so we'll see what they say when they come out on Monday.

Comment

do yourself a favor and forget about ever using pex pipe--it is junk----ever hear the old saying you get what you pay for??? pex is crap junk --it is cheap crap that was a great invention for low bidding--i dont trust it, dont like it and wont use it--save yourself a headache and dont use it

Comment

i would rent a trencher and trench, under the stream bed, i figure you are trying to do this on the cheap. trench it all the way ,they have some nice looking frost proof under ground hose bibs that look like a old hand pump. it will cost about 500.oo
              for the rental. and delivery. you can save if you go get it i would also use a 2 inch pvc sleeve under that stream. just in case
              I like it like that !
              and, It's like that now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think everyone that sees it is coming to the conclusion that is going to be too difficult to go under the creek bed. It didn't look so bad when we moved in, but with several flash floods, etc. later, now there is all shale showing, don't know how deep that goes. Also, the former owner had said if you dig down, you hit water, even though 99% of the time it's dry. Also, there has been some concern about getting through all the tree roots on the banks.
                Pex is truly no good? We had the one plumbing company here today, they are probably the largest one in the area. I expected their prices to be high given they are a large operation, but still! First quote was over 9k (this is for running line from connection under the house to the barn - 330' of 1" Pex, 2 frostfree free standing spigots (right term?), and insulating across the bridge, I think cutoff valves also at either end.
                Told us the Pex is made to contract and expand, though there is certainly a possibility that if we have alot of cold weather and it contracts/expands too much, it'll break. However, said it wouldn't be a problem to replace since it would be under the bridge section, not like we'd have to dig up the piping in the ground.
                We were shocked at the price (given that 2 local guys last year had quoted us $800 and $1200 to bring their backhoe here and dig under the creek (prior to us seeing the shale). I have to think the $800 at least was not accurate, that is the guy that kept blowing us off and we finally came to the conclusion that he was never coming back to do the work.

This guy went back to the office and talked to the owner after we expressed our surprise at the price, and they lowered the price significantly, to under 6k. Still...way more than we were expecting. They do have a 10 yr warranty though which I'm sure the smaller guys don't have. We're all for using local, smaller operations, but it is hard when you can't get them out here.

Comment

a decent size trackhoe will rip right through the shale, how about getting a price from an excavator to dig the trench and a plumber to lay and hook up the pipe. Probably 2 to 3 days to dig the trench if everything is dry right now...

Comment

what is your budget on this job!? You should have posted that first and given you guidance then so that you wouldnt have had to waste yours or someone elses time. An excavator can get up to $1200 a day in my area for a decent sized machine, (12 ton excavator like a Cat 312) the machine I would use on this job

Comment

i like how fast the price can go from 9k to 6k just like that
                      that means he was ripping you off at first but then they came to a conclusion that you were talking to the prow's on the ridgid forum .they had an idea you knew a little bit about what your doing

can you post some pictures of the stream and the trees ,this will help the other people here to see what you have to go through
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I've posted a few pictures. The open area is where the bridge will go as it was the section with the least amount of trees (and we cut a few small ones down). The flood picture is not that section, but further down where the water comes up higher. Each time we have had a "flood", it has changed the bottom of the creek. As I said, originally the grey rock was only showing at the end of the creek (where the water is higher/ground lower), but after this last time, it is now visible up here by the house where we are putting the bridge and had originally planned to run water lines underneath the creekbed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

first it is a beautiful place,

I can see your concern on the creek bed, I would think a local backhoe, trencher contractor would have an idea what they can do, if any thing. if you dig out up along the bank you will have a soft area to erode, when the creek does run,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Do not use pex---it is junk junk junk-----if using plasic, use polyethylene rated for the pressure--dont go with pex--i cant stress how crappy it is--after expanding and contracting so much, dont u think it will finally give out????yes!!!! If someone could drop a price 3k that quick--forget about them---call a local excavater---a small outfit could use this as filler work to keep them going--you will get a much better price, and they lay pipe and dig for a living--or do the directional boring--then the creek is not an issue b/c they go real deep if necessary---you still need to make more calls---you will find a good price for good work

also-----do not use pex-----it is junk

Comment

Still don't know why you won't even consider a well contractor. No electricity at the barn?

By the way, better not let the EPA know about your natural creekbed crossing. Just a tip. Good luck with what you decide.

J.C.
                              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-19-2008, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I am with JC, you should be able to get a well for under 6k? That is as long as you dont have to build a road to get the drilling rig in! Lets see 200 feet times 14 is 2800 plus 24 times say 50 is 1200 plus say 2k for the pump controls that is 4k plus you dont have to worry about anything, you can trench for the conduit yourself it only has to go down 18" and that you dont have to worry about freezing. It could be a wash as far as running a line vs. drilling a well, but you should explore the optuion regardless!

Comment

Working...
                                X