Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
    I believe our codes are somewhat alike, kind of like the Yankees and Redsox......Oh wait we have 26 championships and you guys have what 5 or 6.
    Yes, as in..THIRD place!

Comment

A.B.S.
      YOU WOULD LOOK VERY, VERY LONG AND HARD
      TO FIND SCH. 40 P.V.C. SEWER PIPE AND FITTINGS IN THE GREATER L. A. AREA,

ALL PLUMBERS IN THAT AREA WOULD QUOTE YOU ON A.B.S. PIPE AND FITTINGS
      IT IS SMOOTHER INSIDE THEN C.I. PIPE AND IS COULD LAST UP 100 YEARS OR MORE,
      C.I. IS RATED AT 50-60 YEARS AND WOULD BE VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE TO INSTALL THAT MUCH FOOTAGE OF C.I.

CA. LIC. CONTRACTOR
      Last edited by JERRYMAC; 08-09-2008, 04:41 PM.
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
        A.B.S.
        YOU WOULD LOOK VERY, VERY LONG AND HARD
        TO FIND SCH. 40 P.V.C. SEWER PIPE AND FITTINGS IN THE GREATER L. A. AREA,

ALL PLUMBERS IN THAT AREA WOULD QUOTE YOU ON A.B.S. PIPE AND FITTINGS
        IT IS SMOOTHER INSIDE THEN C.I. PIPE AND IS COULD LAST UP 100 YEARS OR MORE,
        C.I. IS RATED AT 50-60 YEARS AND WOULD BE VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE TO INSTALL THAT MUCH FOOTAGE OF C.I.

CA. LIC. CONTRACTOR
        Since you've been gone PVC has become pretty available.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i too like pvc over abs. the pvc is white and is very easy to photograph compared to the black abs.

where in l.a. are you?

do you have a copy of the video?

can you post a link so we can see it?

actually the longest lasting pipe and the strongest would be hdpe sdr17 trenchless pipe.

you can hit this with a sledge hammer and have it bounce off.

unfortunately it's only approved for trenchless installations and not conventional

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            His point was that NY code is MUCH, MUCH better than yer silly Cali code.
            Really,
            Keep swaping out that cast iron at the expense of others.
            Who says the Mafia is dead.

Comment

Yes, as in..THIRD place!
              Second place....third place, whats the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Since you've been gone PVC has become pretty available.

Mark
                And I prefer it over ABS.Once you learn the differing techniques from ABS you end up with a stronger,straighter and nicer looking product.Costs a little more,but one can make that up with ones superior skill level,aye?
                Last edited by drtyhands; 08-09-2008, 10:09 PM. Reason: generalizing for clarity

Comment

Second place....third place, whats the difference?
                  There has got to be a line to go with this...Don't leave it up to me I'll get banned.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    There has got to be a line to go with this...Don't leave it up to me I'll get banned.
                    We're ragging back n forth, yanks / red sox rivalry...I don't think either of us has a door to hang a hat on with those dam Angels playin' like they are.

Comment

We're ragging back n forth, yanks / red sox rivalry...I don't think either of us has a door to hang a hat on with those dam Angels playin' like they are.
                      They just kicked the crap out of us tonight

Comment

sch 40 pvc or 3034 gasketed out here--never seen abs sewer line here

Comment

Sounds like the Angels are doing pretty good.I wouldn't know.
                          Last baseball game I saw was with a bunch of special friends at an indians game last year.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Sounds like the Angels are doing pretty good.I wouldn't know.
                            Last baseball game I saw was with a bunch of special friends at an indians game last year.

Comment

SHWEET
                              I like your humor

Comment

Thanks for all the advice -- So far it seems that most of you are recommending PVC-40, so when I get estimates I'll specifically ask for that in the quote. To answer Plumber Rick's questions, I live in Silverlake, and I have the video of the sewer on a VHS tape. While one guy was inserting the camera, another man was outside with a metal-detector-type device, and he spraypainted the sidewalk above the area where the pipe was. (The paint has since worn off the concrete, but I made sure to take photos so that I'd know the route of the pipe.) The tape also shows how many feet the camera had gone. I think I had this done in 2005 but it might have been in 2004, and it cost me $200. (I had to call four or five different places before going with this plumber. Usually, when I've gotten the sewer line rooted, without the camera, it costs me around $75.00 except for an emergency visit, which cost me $125.00.)

Duckbutter, regarding my possible desire to undertake an apprenticeship in plumbing, thanks for the kind words regarding my current job, but as noble as teaching may be, I need a break. I'm 37, and I've worked as a teacher for ten years (six years in an elementary school in South-Central L.A. and four years at a high school near Downtown L.A.) and I'm tired of begging and pleading with students to do their homework or read ten pages of a novel on their own. I'm tired of grading essays, dealing with the school bureaucracy, and feeling like no matter what I do, it won't make much of a difference. I like the fact that plumbing involves constant learning, and I'm giving plumbing serious thought, but I'm still weighing all my options. (Anyway, this is a plumbing forum, not a frustrated-teacher forum, so I'll stop yapping.) Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X