Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Take it from a guy who has been a plumbing contactor for 35 years and now teaches high school. Teaching is way way better. I'd much rather chase kids down for homework than chase customers for payment
    Besides, you can't beat the insurance and retirement benefits.
    sigpic

Comment

Go red sox, go pvc
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks, I almost forgot the subject here. I Hate ABS. Yes it's light weight and you only need the one glue, no primer. But the stuff bends and softens with the heat and cracks in the winter and there's no way I'd bury the stuff. I know a lot of you guys down south pretty much use this stuff all the time because that's what's available but thank god I don''t have too.
        sigpic

Comment

Go Butchers! Jealousy, what an ugly thing.

Comment

Where's your little blue shirt ,honey
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Dont you remember you put it away when you were cleaning my house for extra money Damn old people always forget things.
              Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Thanks, I almost forgot the subject here. I Hate ABS. Yes it's light weight and you only need the one glue, no primer. But the stuff bends and softens with the heat and cracks in the winter and there's no way I'd bury the stuff. I know a lot of you guys down south pretty much use this stuff all the time because that's what's available but thank god I don''t have too.
                Just called a forum member in Cali to comment after doing a service call in a home with cell-core ABS.
                Holy cow!
                It was rediculously flimsy...I thought it was a vacuum line at first.

Comment

Cell core is suppose to be for noise. It just doesn't feel right. On 2 story homes,to keep it quiet, some use cast for drains,and waste. ABS for all vents and 1st floor.

Comment

Cell core is supposed to be for noise? I don't understand this. Please explain.

J.C.

Comment

Cell core is cool stuff. You can carry 600' on your shoulder if you can find a way to balance it.
                      '
                      What is it. Instead of the core being a solid plastic it is made up of tiney little balls all glued held together by the bonded outer and inner surfaces which makes it lighter and more noise absorbant.
                      sigpic

Comment

I may have been misunderstood. I know what cellular core is but have never heard of it being used for noise reduction. I've used cast iron to reduce noise and at one time knew the decibel level reduction it achieved.

600' on your shoulder! You're stronger than me. I can't think of carrying 30 sticks of 3" on my shoulder.

The cellular core/foamcore I'm familiar with is the same thickness as schedule 40 pressure pipe but has the cellular core to save cost & decrease weight. Still, not gonna try carrying 600' around.

J.C.

Comment

I agree with JC, cell-core doesn't do jack for noise reduction. Cast Iron does.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            Just called a forum member in Cali to comment after doing a service call in a home with cell-core ABS.
                            Holy cow!
                            It was rediculously flimsy...I thought it was a vacuum line at first.
                            That's why Code requires it be supported every 4'(like all other platics).Don't worry though I'm starting to see systems that are holding up and CLEAR inside surface after 40 years.Not gonna happen with cast.Still like PVC.

I understand the reasoning behind installing cast for noise and non-combustion.But I'm an advocate for all underground be installed in non corrosive plastic.Yeah,you guys have basements and subfloors.No big deal keep hangin'cast till your hearts content.Easiest swap out for killer profits, I love doing it.
                            The problem comes into play when you put the ancient design were an extreme amount of resources are needed to replace.It's not easy for me to explain that I need tear ones structure apart one day to replce,then install the same junk in the ground on a new project the next.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              I understand the reasoning behind installing cast for noise and non-combustion. But I'm an advocate for all underground be installed in non corrosive plastic.
                              No argument here.

Comment

Requiring cast iron for underground sewerlines is stupid imo.
                                Last edited by Service Guy; 08-10-2008, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X