Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    I agree with JC, cell-core doesn't do jack for noise reduction. Cast Iron does.
    I havn't heard anything about cell core being quiet.First I've heard of this is here right now.
    Love putting in cast in the walls and lids so people aren't disturbed.Doesn't take that much longer,maybe20% in the overall waste system install.

That doesn't mean I'm only raising my price 20%

Comment

I once asked the drain cleaners on here what percentage of their work was PVC/ABS. There average reply was 15% if I recall. 85% cast iron/galvanized. Much less problematic with "good" plastics installed correctly.

And I do understand when other factors are present to favor a cast, ductile, or other material.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I once asked the drain cleaners on here what percentage of their work was PVC/ABS. There average reply was 15% if I recall. 85% cast iron/galvanized. Much less problematic with "good" plastics installed correctly.

And I do understand when other factors are present to favor a cast, ductile, or other material.

J.C.
        I wonder how much of that 15% plastic was put in with backgrade?

Comment

Backgraded PVC/ABS. Good question. Something I run into ALL THE TIME is a 1.5" galv. trap arm pointing downhill (backgraded). Don't understand it.

J.C.

Comment

I may have been misunderstood. I know what cellular core is but have never heard of it being used for noise reduction. I've used cast iron to reduce noise and at one time knew the decibel level reduction it achieved.

600' on your shoulder! You're stronger than me. I can't think of carrying 30 sticks of 3" on my shoulder.

The cellular core/foamcore I'm familiar with is the same thickness as schedule 40 pressure pipe but has the cellular core to save cost & decrease weight. Still, not gonna try carrying 600' around.

J.C.
            Hey, I never said it would reduce the noise, only that is the thinking behind the idea. Come on you 40lb weakling lift lift lift. When I was your age ai used to walk 20 miles to school up hill...both ways....
            sigpic

Comment

Just looked it up in case any one wants to try it.

600' of 3" Foamcore=630lbs. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                That's why Code requires it be supported every 4'(like all other platics).Don't worry though I'm starting to see systems that are holding up and CLEAR inside surface after 40 years.Not gonna happen with cast.Still like PVC.

I understand the reasoning behind installing cast for noise and non-combustion.But I'm an advocate for all underground be installed in non corrosive plastic.Yeah,you guys have basements and subfloors.No big deal keep hangin'cast till your hearts content.Easiest swap out for killer profits, I love doing it.
                The problem comes into play when you put the ancient design were an extreme amount of resources are needed to replace.It's not easy for me to explain that I need tear ones structure apart one day to replce,then install the same junk in the ground on a new project the next.
                I prefer PVC to CI, excluding the sound reduction factor.

To be clear, because I'm not sure what ya meant with the "maffia" comment.
                We cannot use plastic under CI here, weight and thermal expansion are a factor.

If I gave in to the one of 500 requests I get a year to do it the cheaper way, the inspector wants my name when the home is flagged as they try to sell it.

I get tagged for not pulling permits.

I have seen this happen, it sucks to be the plumber in that case.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just as easy to be a hack, work without a license, skip the insurance and get cash payments.

I lose work, somebody makes a buck...then I go online and rant n' rave about DIY'ers.

Comment

Just looked it up in case any one wants to try it.

600' of 3" Foamcore=630lbs. Good luck.

J.C.

Oh you're no fun anymore " Monty Python"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I prefer PVC to CI, excluding the sound reduction factor.

To be clear, because I'm not sure what ya meant with the "maffia" comment.
                    We cannot use plastic under CI here, weight and thermal expansion are a factor.

If I gave in to the one of 500 requests I get a year to do it the cheaper way, the inspector wants my name when the home is flagged as they try to sell it.

I get tagged for not pulling permits.

I have seen this happen, it sucks to be the plumber in that case.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just as easy to be a hack, work without a license, skip the insurance and get cash payments.

I lose work, somebody makes a buck...then I go online and rant n' rave about DIY'ers.
                    Mafia means to me that it makes no sense other than putting money in the decision makers pocket.

I don't doubt you Duck or mean to diss.
                    For discussion's sake;
                    When we continue cast on top of plastic most of the more knowledgeable inspectors will ask us to take some of the weight off by supporting the cast.I'm picturing all the different riser scenarios I utilize in my groundworks.In most cases risers don't excede 24".Hell,if they want I'll run my risers down through concrete to within a couple inches of the fitting it serves.

Comment

I use riserclamps no matter what on any vertical cast.

J.C.

Comment

I use riserclamps no matter what on any vertical cast.

J.C.
                        At slab on grade elevation?

You watchin' de lymps

Comment

I might be ignorant to what "slab on grade elevation means". When it goes vertical in the walls & chases at ANY level I'll frame in and install them.

J.C.

Comment

I might be ignorant to what "slab on grade elevation means". When it goes vertical in the walls & chases at ANY level I'll frame in and install them.

J.C.
                            Not anymore

"slab on grade" is a term the architect will use on the plans to quickly reference the fact that the floor of the structure is a concrete slab poured on grade/soil.I was asking because plumbers usually don't put them on this elevation.

Comment

Gotcha. I have seen the term. Yes, I'll put them there also. Might be overkill but I prefer to err on the stable side. And if you're making PVC to CI transitions then you obviously remove the stress on that lowest fitting.

Sounds like you do alot of large commercial. I don't. But I'd still put in the riser clamps on all vertical cast.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                Mafia means to me that it makes no sense other than putting money in the decision makers pocket.

I don't doubt you Duck or mean to diss.
                                For discussion's sake;
                                When we continue cast on top of plastic most of the more knowledgeable inspectors will ask us to take some of the weight off by supporting the cast.I'm picturing all the different riser scenarios I utilize in my groundworks.In most cases risers don't excede 24".Hell,if they want I'll run my risers down through concrete to within a couple inches of the fitting it serves.
                                I know ya wouldn't insult me unless for the sake of humor, or I did something heinous to earn it.

But word to the wise, next time I send my boyz vinny & guido to have a lil' talk with ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X