Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

SDR-35 for gravity, 21 for force mains and water. What were you testing to that the co's would pop out?

Comment

Building sewer tested to grade. No place for the displaced air to go. Gaskets wouldn't hold. Risers popped out of the ground.

Comment

i need to rephrase that what pressure were you air testing the SDR to? Normally we would only pressureize to 5 psi

Comment

Although we've used ABS for years here, I'm seeing more PVC at the supply houses. It's true that PVC is superior to ABS. It isn't perfect, though. For example, never cut PVC in cold weather. Make sure the room is about 50 degrees minimum or the stuff shatters like glass. It's really annoying to shove a piece of pipe into a tee and have the tee go to pieces.

And PVC also tends to make more noise than ABS. It will squeak like a mouse being drawn and quartered when expanding against wood splinters. (Don't ask me how I know about the mouse . . .)

And the reason there's cell core ABS is because manufacturers wanted to make more pipe with less raw product. I would far prefer to use the original solid pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
            Although we've used ABS for years here, I'm seeing more PVC at the supply houses. It's true that PVC is superior to ABS. It isn't perfect, though. For example, never cut PVC in cold weather. Make sure the room is about 50 degrees minimum or the stuff shatters like glass. It's really annoying to shove a piece of pipe into a tee and have the tee go to pieces.

And PVC also tends to make more noise than ABS. It will squeak like a mouse being drawn and quartered when expanding against wood splinters. (Don't ask me how I know about the mouse . . .)

And the reason there's cell core ABS is because manufacturers wanted to make more pipe with less raw product. I would far prefer to use the original solid pipe.
            Nice tips on the temperature Herk.As far as binding on wood and squeking,homeowners nowadays know it's unnacceptible and demand the walls/ceiling be opened up and have the situation remedeed.We rarely use 2X materal for floor joist so I'm not too concerned with overboring another 1/2" larger than the standard 2-1/8_2-9/16 to allow for more expansion.Also myself and the guys try to pay close attention to hole "grade alignment",drilling the hole not only straight but also with the grade of the pipe.

Comment

This is my experience. I have cut PVC with a mitre saw, sawzall, and handsaw at less than 40 degrees without it "shattering like glass". There is a low temperature range for the glue though.

J.C.

Comment

I also have no idea what Herk is talking about when saying "having a tee go to pieces." ???????

I don't know how many tees I've installed without ever anything remotely like this. Now they do make some super light PVC and fittings that in my opinion is absolute garbage. Barely good enough for a gutter drain.

Charlotte Sch. 40 foamcore minimum. Charlotte true-fit fittings.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post

Comment

Working...
                  X