Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

Hi everyone -- First, I want to say that I enjoy reading this forum, as well as the professional forum. I've owned a duplex in Los Angeles for the last eleven years and I've nearly always hired licensed plumbers to work on the various issues that have come up. (I'm also considering a career change and I'm very interested in the UA plumbing apprenticeship -- but I'll leave that question for another post.)

Anyway, from 1997 (when I bought the house) until 2006 my main sewer line backed up roughly every nine months or so due to roots, so I had a plumber use a sewer camera while his helper walked around outside and marked the location of the sewer pipe on the concrete driveway.

There were four or five breaks in the line where roots had "invaded," so I chopped down the culprits: five tall, skinny trees that ran alongside the sewer line (and were causing cracks in the retaining wall between my property and my neighbor's). Since then, I haven't had any problems with roots in the main line, but I'm planning on re-paving the driveway and I'd like to replace the sewer line at the same time and add a cleanout as well. (Currently the cleanout is inside the house.) Incidentally, my house was built in 1929 and I think this sewer line is the original.

A plumber previously recommended ABS, but I'd like to know if cast iron would be more long-lasting and durable. I'm not a big fan of plastic, and I want to have this job done correctly. So what would you recommend -- ABS or cast iron? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the pros and cons of either material.

Re: Cast iron or ABS for replacement of a main sewer line?

pvc 40

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      pvc 40
      Exactly what I was thinking before I even opened the thread.

Ask your plumber why not Sched 40 PVC?

It's more durable than ABS, has a shelf life of over 100 years unlike cast iron.

As for jumping into the trade...please do open a thread.

You have a noble career as is, plumbing may be more lucrative after completing an apprenticeship, but the apprenticeship can be tough if your not young.

Comment

Cast iron must be used as per our local codes

Comment

PVC sch. 40

Comment

I concur PVC would be my choice as well.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
              Cast iron must be used as per our local codes
              OP's covered in his hood with PVC.

Comment

PVC sched 40.

Also be sure to add a two way cleanout. If its deep, turn up 2 cleanouts opposing each other. A 2 way is hard to direct when the line is deeper than 2 feet.

Comment

I would have to say PVC also
                  Even here in Ohio where a lot of ABS is used I have never seen it used for the main sewer line
                  We usually use a transition fitting where the main comes in under the footer to change from PVC to ABS

Comment

Here we go again! How Does N.Y. code affect L.A. Ca. code ??????
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      It doesn't Tool,I think our fellow member was putting it out there for his readers in his area.
                      What a great guy,HUH?

Comment

His point was that NY code is MUCH, MUCH better than yer silly Cali code.

Comment

Tool I was just making conversation, I am interested in codes in other parts of the country. If you have a problem with that...oh well. Dont be such a tool, Tool, but I guess some things YOU have no control over
                          Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-09-2008, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            Tool I was just making conversation, I am interested in codes in other parts of the country. If you have a problem with that...oh well. Dont be such a tool, Tool, but I guess some things YOU have no control over
                            Don't listen to him, he's lying...trying to convert us ALL to NY code...it's a conspiracy!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              Don't listen to him, he's lying...trying to convert us ALL to NY code...it's a conspiracy!
                              I believe our codes are somewhat alike, kind of like the Yankees and Redsox......Oh wait we have 26 championships and you guys have what 5 or 6.

Comment

Working...
                              X