X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced piping - still low pressure

I have replaced all pipe in house including line from meter to house.
    Still have low pressure.
    Could the meter be clogged or something similar? The water company fixed a leak last winter accross the street an I am wondering if gravel or mud got into supply piping to my house?
    Is there a strainer or screen in meter that could have been plugged.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Replaced piping - still low pressure

Originally posted by JRO View Post
    Still have low pressure.
    Could the meter be clogged or something similar? The water company fixed a leak last winter accross the street an I am wondering if gravel or mud got into supply piping to my house?
    Can you disconnect the meter and check flow,then service to house?

Comment

There is a big difference between low flow and low pressure. A good gauge will tell you what your pressure is

Is the problem at all faucets?

Checked your aerators?

All valves in fully open position including the one at the meter?

Proper piping size throughout?

The meter is the water department responsibility so I would have them check it.

Comment

My money is on a galvy main from the street.

If you'd had a plumber look at it, you might have saved the cost & effort of replacing your homes water main and resolved the actual problem.

Comment

Unless of course your house piping had to be replaced anyway.

Sometimes old valves (such as at the meter) get cracked on, water comes up to pressure, but the valve doesn't get opened all the way. People that aren't familiar with gate valves in particular think they're on cause they feel them come loose, open a turn and stick. The first time it turned loose, the stem was breaking from the plunger. But the plunger may not have lifted. If you have one of these old valves, how many turns did it take to open it?

Otherwise, get a plumber to drop the meter and see if it's before or after that your flow slows down. Maybe it's as simple as the city street valve not being all the way opened. Or you could have a bad line coming in.

When you open a faucet, do you have good pressure, than slows down?

Do your outside faucets have issues too?
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions.
            All the faucets act the same - including outside
            The valve at the meter is a quarter turn type valve similar to the ones on gas lines.
            The pressure does start out good but immediately slows down. (what does this mean?)
            I should mention that I live in an older house built in 1939. The meter may be original.
            I have the water department coming out to take a look at the meter. My experience with them so far has not been good. They do not like to admit that the problem is on their side of the meter.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Comment

The valve at the meter is a quarter turn type valve similar to the ones on gas lines.
              The pressure does start out good but immediately slows down. (what does this mean?)
              I should mention that I live in an older house built in 1939. The meter may be original.
              I have the water department coming out to take a look at the meter. My experience with them so far has not been good. They do not like to admit that the problem is on their side of the meter.

Galvy street main.

Comment

i would say i highly doubt the meter is from 1939--if it is,it probably reads really low--so call a plumber and have him check b4 and after--and yes the water dept will not ever admit its their problem until they come out and are surprised by ur plumber sitting there showing them-----had similar situation b4----water dept said issue was in house---i said its at tap and pulled meter (in front yard pit) and had to show them how---well lets say i got really bad looks and attitudes and saved my customer from digging up and replacing their ok main---water dept replaced tap and homeowner arrived and asked to see fittings from tap and they said another guy took off and it was in his truck, so howner said i will come down 2morrow morning to dept to see it . next morning howner did and they said it must have gotten mixed up with trash and tossed out---we are sorry the dumpsters got dumped this morning--
                sounds like someone made sure the h owners plumber could not be proven right---wait i was---when they turned it all on--still have had no issues
                if you have an issue that is not your problem,but the cities---you have to be persistent and have backup--reputable plumber before they will do anything---the city will have you replace every faucet,pipe and fitting before they try anything at all

Comment

Is that 1/4 turn valve on an elbow ahead of the meter? If so, it may be more than a 1/4 turn. Pressure starting good than slowing down means it's definately obstruction, exactly what happens with a valve not being open all the way (or galvy mains). Did this develop slowly, or happen suddenly (like after the work that was done?) If it was a gradual thing, I'm with the galvy mains. If it was a sudden thing, I'ld say valve, maybe the cities.
                  sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

What caused you to do a repipe? I understand you had low pressure but a repipe is a serious job that doesn't get done without a whole lot of forthought.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Still have low pressure.
                      Could the meter be clogged or something similar? The water company fixed a leak last winter across the street an I am wondering if gravel or mud got into supply piping to my house?
                      it sounds like you have dirt/ debris in a strainer/ regulator.

does your pipe enter the house above grade outside?

is there a pressure regulator installed there?

if so, remove the strainer cap and flush out.

a pressure gage is similar to a doctors blood pressure test.

what's your static pressure/ nothing running?

what's your drop off pressure when you open a faucet?

pressure drops a lot, it's a volume thing.

pressure low without anything running, it can be a bad regulator.

how's the neighbors flow?

yes, water meters can go bad and can restrict the flow. i've had it on more than 1 occasion.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X