X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggested pipe for lift station outlet line

I think the OP has problems with fittings and installation. I've run thousands of feet in similar situations. SCH.40 Bell End w/SCH.40 fittings. Primer and Glue. Hand cover and compact-especially at the turns-before final covering. Used the trenched material. Mostly NC red dirt/clay. No callbacks.

I understand the sand & concrete but it might be overkill.

No PE ever on a sewer pump we've installed.

Once again, No Callbacks.

J.C.

Comment

i know that hdpe sdr17 pipe is by far the most forgiving pipe out there.

what other pipe can you hit with a sledge hammer and have it bounce back? there is a reason why it's used in trenchless pipe bursting and slipling of waste and water mains.

i was under the impression that commercial sewer ejectors required 3'' pumps and discharge? upc 710.3.3

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I think the OP has problems with fittings and installation. I've run thousands of feet in similar situations. SCH.40 Bell End w/SCH.40 fittings. Primer and Glue. Hand cover and compact-especially at the turns-before final covering. Used the trenched material. Mostly NC red dirt/clay. No callbacks.

I understand the sand & concrete but it might be overkill.

No PE ever on a sewer pump we've installed.

Once again, No Callbacks.

J.C.
        So your using pressure water fittimgs?

Comment

I said sand because the dirt here is pretty much rock.... lots of angular stuff that wears through plastic pipe fast, particularly in a force main application. The concrete is most likely unneccessary but it is a common practice that i thought mcould be relevant. I have never used PE for a lift station i dont feel as though it is rigid enough i agree it is strong and durable, I may possibly explore its use ouside of the pump pit but inside the pump pit i feel as though a ridgid pipe would work better such as sch 80.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            So your using pressure water fittimgs?
            Yes pressure fittings for forcemains!

Comment

One more thought,How about bringing in[ A geo tech] soils Eng to do a written report on the
              site. As a Ca. Gen. We use them a lot,have to!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

"Spotting a slide." Here in E .Quake Co. I do a lot of hillside retaining walls.Soils Eng. are great teachers. Many times ,I point out to homeowners Their hill is sliding. They do on to tell Me They've lived there 30 years and never had movement. Look for this above the Condos.
                Trees at the base rotate at an angle out,and down hill. The sun,in time,straightens the new
                growth Vert. Now You have a sweep in the trunk. Once It's pointed out to You,You'll pick up old slides all over. This is the 1st thing Soil Eng. look at on Our Hill sites before they do the drill samples. I think the West Coast Guys will enjoy this info. Marin Co." Where Your house May come down the hill to great You, when You come home" Tool
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  SCH 80!!! make sure that the pipe is backfilled in sand at least 6" above below and along side. also make sure that the pipe is properly compacted. Ill bet you 10 to 1 the problem is rooted in settling gimme the model nos. of the pumps and ill run a simulation to make sure that they are big enough as well as static head and length of run.
                  thanks, but not neccesary; bandaided one line and put a sump pump in the other pit to transfer to the pit for the bandaided line; pump is pushing it where it needs to go now that it has a path to push thru.

still have the original question on what to replace it with. I'm wary of any ridgid pipe in this application; sch 80 and pressure fittings would no doubt be better, but I know the excavator who did the initial installation and trust it was properly compacted. I know it was bedded in 3/8 gravel as I have dug thru the bedding to get to the pipe to put the bandaid in place. This spot was a previous repair with a fernco that pulled off. there was about a 6" gap between the ends of the pipes it used to connect. I have to assume it pulled down the hill. I'm thinking a continuous piece of something w/o fittings to fail....HDPE?

Homeowner/builder has electrical background, wants to sleeve it in 4" or 6" of something called 'smurf' electricians use for conduit. I'm thinking the sleeve concept might not be bad as I can run a piece of heat tape in it as well, and can replace it when it goes bad, and the earth and or sleeve might be able to move w/o disturbing my line... thoughts?
                  Last edited by Ace Sewer; 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i know that hdpe sdr17 pipe is by far the most forgiving pipe out there.

what other pipe can you hit with a sledge hammer and have it bounce back? there is a reason why it's used in trenchless pipe bursting and slipling of waste and water mains.

i was under the impression that commercial sewer ejectors required 3'' pumps and discharge? upc 710.3.3

rick.
                    Do you put in sewer ejectors in Cali. with sdr17? With the no-hub bands on hard turns?

We're IPC here. Once again, I have no idea why we can't have 1 code. Everything from acidic soils, freezing, earthquake strapping etc. could easily be included. Maybe some people have more viscous water.

It doesn't make sense to require a 3" pump and discharge $$$$$$$$ in all commercial applications. I know code is code. But what if I have a warehouse with 1 lav. & toilet with whatever kind of gravity connection 50' away? Some of the packaged systems$ pump manufactuers produce are even overqualified to handle this.

J.C.

Comment

Just looked where you are again Ace. Do you think it could be experiencing frost heaving?

J.C.

Comment

municipal systems whether it be for one house or 2000 require a 4" discharge with a convential pumps or 3" with grinder in a few states, nostly north east, our guidelines are the "ten-states standards" (NY, CT, MA, OH, MI, Wisconsin, RI, NH, VT, ME) But that is just public systems, I am looking into Vacuum systems for a project out in California, has anyone had any experience with these?

Comment

SDR 21 Goes together like SDR 35 and is designed to be used on force mains. I have put in a few miles of this stuff here in NY never had a problem with any pipes coming apart. Don't forget to tape a 12 ga tracer wire to the top of it with duct tape before you cover it up, leave the end by the pump station above grade to connect locator too.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=126197
                          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

The end of the story, for now...

Dug the thing up and replaced it with "purecore", stout blue plastic stuff with some flex to it that is being used to run water lines to houses here lately... that is usually done in 1 1/4", found it in 2" in 200' rolls and used that.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

What kind of plastic is it?
                              How do they normally connect it?Heat fusion?Or is it like Pex with their barbs,rings or whatever they use?

What did you end up using for backfill to help your pipe not dislocate from the ground settle?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                What kind of plastic is it?
                                How do they normally connect it?Heat fusion?Or is it like Pex with their barbs,rings or whatever they use?

What did you end up using for backfill to help your pipe not dislocate from the ground settle?

It's this stuff... http://www.uspolycompany.com/index.php?ID=685

Came in a 200' roll so I didn't have to have any joints, they have stiffeners which go inside the ends and two piece screw together fittings to terminate the ends in male pipe threads. I assume if you needed more than 200' you'd either have to see about getting a longer roll or join it with fittings.

Bedded it in crusher fines. Pipe has some flex to it so I'm hoping it'll be free to move a little if it needs to.

Comment

Working...
                                X