X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested pipe for lift station outlet line

Duplex, 8yr old, two separate systems, one for each side of duplex. Each side has a nice deep big pit outside with a manhole cover, single pupms, not grinders, pumps have not yet been a root cause problem. 4" pvc gravities into pits. 2" pvc sch 40 outlet lines (separate lines for each system) about 200' with about 30' of elevation to push up to city main. 2" pvc was put in with dwv fittings, which may be part of the problem as not pressure rated, although I don't think we're seeing more than 16-20 psi (thats all the pumps are rated to make). Both lines are separted beneath a driveway, plugged with gravel, and have multiple fernco repairs from previous separations. History is that every couple years something pulls apart again and gets dug up and jetted out and fernco'ed.

Owner has signed up to have it repaired once and for all. The pipes run up a steep slope, and I think it is shifting, either from groundwater or sliding down the slope or both. Worried that replacing with sch80 and pressure fittings will just create a stronger but still ridgid and brittle system that will pull apart as slope shifts. Considering something flexible...the corrugated flexible stuff used in hot tubs, or the 'polycore' blue stuff they are using for water lines to houses now in lieu of soft copper, or someone has recommended something called 'cts'.

We are going to pull out two boulder retaining walls and dig a deep trench (freezing is a problem here) on a very steep slope to do this and I don't want to do it twice.

Any thoughts?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Suggested pipe for lift station outlet line

Fused Joint High Density Polyethyline

How have you been since the Roundup?

Comment

Is it the expansion/contraction factor that keeps popping this thing?

Comment

Just keepin' the poop movin'
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

We are only allowed to run 2" 85" horizontal on drainage.Are you sure it doesn't "bump-up"?

Oops,looks like the whole thing could be uphill.They would have to get that whole run moving.Those fittings aren't designed for that with there meesly 3/4" glued sockets.You're right.
          Last edited by drtyhands; 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Is it the expansion/contraction factor that keeps popping this thing?
            I don't really know; it's the first I've been involved with it. I was called because they thought they needed a pump. found the pump spinning, and moving water slowly, and a little steam coming out under the drive... camera and find rocks in line, jet them out and camera and find a separation, dig it and repair and camera again... there are like 6 fernco's in one line, haven't camera'ed the other but it's pump kicked on and filled my hole... dug to it have a 45 broken. The drive has been a leachfield for a while.

The drive has a settled spot in it, and the tops of the blouders in one wall are all covered with dirt/dried mud, and the h o tells me the pipes have been repaired several times in the past.... I kind of think the drive is sliding ever so slowly down the hill and taking the pipes with it.

Comment

We are only allowed to run 2" 85" horizontal on drainage.Are you sure it doesn't "bump-up"?

Oops,looks like the whole thing could be uphill.They would have to get that whole run moving.Those fittings aren't designed for that with there meesly 3/4" glued sockets.You're right.
              yes its all uphill... 150-200' run, maybe 30' of elevation gain... do you still recommend hdpe now knowing this? I'm thinking something with some more give to it so as things shift it can move a little w/o coming apart.

Comment

Not as much the pipe as movement issue.Somehow we need to come up with something to continuously stretch

At first I was going to suggest offsetting the line with some 1/8bends periodically.But with that you need to have a cleanout for every 135 degrees(every 3-45's).Sooner or later these are going to reach their max stretch and snap.
                Last edited by drtyhands; 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I'm not a "plumbing expert" but I would use one of those self contained grinder pump units and run a 200' roll of 2" hdpe poly pipe to the main.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

SCH 80!!! make sure that the pipe is backfilled in sand at least 6" above below and along side. also make sure that the pipe is properly compacted. Ill bet you 10 to 1 the problem is rooted in settling gimme the model nos. of the pumps and ill run a simulation to make sure that they are big enough as well as static head and length of run.

Comment

also if the pipe is running really steep you can put in concrete collars around it. If you want you can upsize to 3" and run Ductile iron and be done with it forever although the pumps may not be sized right considering the DIP has a higher coefficient of friction.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        also if the pipe is running really steep you can put in concrete collars around it. If you want you can upsize to 3" and run Ductile iron and be done with it forever although the pumps may not be sized right considering the DIP has a higher coefficient of friction.
                        I like the idea on the sand,actually logged on to suggest.Concrete collars?The I don't know the terminology,thrust blocks yes.Are the collars going to lock the pipe to soil,disturbed or undisturbed.What are they?The pipe is protected to allow for expansion inside the concrete?

Comment

Adam, the concrete collars prevent the pipe from shifting, i specify wrapping the pipe with 1 layer of expansion joint then pouring the concrete around them, not quite thrust blocks but the same principal. We require concrete collars when the slope is greater than say 20%, which is pretty da&* steep

Comment

I am just a plumber's wife, but I think it is vent pipe you are talking about. Horizontal pipe is unlimited
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              I am just a plumber's wife, but I think it is vent pipe you are talking about. Horizontal pipe is unlimited
                              OOOPS.Guess I read it wrong.

THANKS JOEY

Comment

Working...
                              X