X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pressure relief valve...

My new wife has a home warranty on her house. The hot water heater started leaking so she called the company to send out a plumber. They checked the pressure in our lines and it was at 150+ and I was told they would have to replace the PRV. As I just moved here and haven't started working yet (just finished taking the bar exam), I really can't pay the $450 he wanted to replace it.

I looked at it under the house and it seems in reasonable shape. Still clean, no corrosion, a shut off valve before and after it...

I've done basic plumbing many times in the past, but before I went out and bought a new PRV, I thought I'd check with you gents to see if there are any "tricks of the trade" to determine if the old one can be salvaged or adjusted.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also suggestions as to who might carry a new PRV...I looked on-line at Lowe's and Home Despot and didn't see that they carried them. The only place I've found in the Atlanta area is a Watt's distributor that is quite far away. Thanks!

Re: Help with pressure relief valve...

Home Depot probably about $75 for a watts 25AUB, there is nothing really very hard about swapping it out usually but your best bet is to post a picture then we can give further recommendations and asertain whether or not it is something you can handle

Comment

Originally posted by steveinsnellville View Post
      My new wife has a home warranty on her house. The hot water heater started leaking so she called the company to send out a plumber. They checked the pressure in our lines and it was at 150+ and I was told they would have to replace the PRV. As I just moved here and haven't started working yet (just finished taking the bar exam), I really can't pay the $450 he wanted to replace it.

I looked at it under the house and it seems in reasonable shape. Still clean, no corrosion, a shut off valve before and after it...

I've done basic plumbing many times in the past, but before I went out and bought a new PRV, I thought I'd check with you gents to see if there are any "tricks of the trade" to determine if the old one can be salvaged or adjusted.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also suggestions as to who might carry a new PRV...I looked on-line at Lowe's and Home Despot and didn't see that they carried them. The only place I've found in the Atlanta area is a Watt's distributor that is quite far away. Thanks!
      I believe you are really looking for help on a "Pressure Reducing Valve" as opposed to a "Pressure Relief Valve".

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark

Wouldn't it be wise for him to have both installed? but only by a good reliable licensed plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Mark

Wouldn't it be wise for him to have both installed? but only by a good reliable licensed plumber.
          I am fairly certain it was his temperature pressure relief valve which was leaking at the water heater. Otherwise he would need a repair at the water heater in addition to needing a new PRV.

Mark

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to think about an expansion tank also,if You don't have one. Good luck passing the Bar, 25 years sober Myself
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Wouldn't hurt to think about an expansion tank also,if You don't have one. Good luck passing the Bar, 25 years sober Myself

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I am fairly certain it was his temperature pressure relief valve which was leaking at the water heater. Otherwise he would need a repair at the water heater in addition to needing a new PRV.

Mark
                Edit this, in my zeal to correct Mark I didn't read it right...
                It WOULD be the T&P that was leaking, I thought he meant it was the T&P only.

Oops:

(Actually, no

He has pressure at 150+...the T&P will let go if the PRV is bad.

For $450 I'd have to guess it's the PRV. )
                Last edited by DuckButter; 08-12-2008, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  This would explain yer crabbiness, I'm 9 years crabby myself...laugh Wrench, have at it.

Comment

whats to laugh at i havent had a drink myself in a few weeks.... This new job has me going grey at a young age though i may need some drinks tonite!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      Actually, no

He has pressure at 150+...the T&P will let go if the PRV is bad.

For $450 I'd have to guess it's the PRV.
                      I believe you may have misread my reply. Woussko was suggesting he may need to install a T&P and a PRV. I was suggesting the T&P was likely the leak at the water heater (from over pressure) so what he needs is a new PRV.

Mark

Comment

I believe you may have misread my reply. Woussko was suggesting he may need to install a T&P and a PRV. I was suggesting the T&P was likely the leak at the water heater (from over pressure) so what he needs is a new PRV.

Mark
                        HA!

I had it edited before you responded...I ate crow.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          HA!

I had it edited before you responded...I ate crow.
                          LOL-No problem and thanks for having my back.

Mark

Comment

LOL-No problem and thanks for having my back.

Mark
                            No prob, I enjoy staring over yer back...

Comment

Working...
                            X