Leaking Cast Iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Cast Iron

Hi I'm new to the site and need some suggestions. I have a fifty year old home in south Texas and just noticed that the CI vent pipe (which the bathroom sink dumps into) is leaking at the 90 fitting that connects to the main drop. The weird thing is that the leak is at the top end where the vent pipe comes into the 90. So I'm thinking the pipe is some what clogged and holding water before its able to drain,although we haven't had any issues with the plumbing. Any suggestions to stop the leak until a replacement can be done?
    Thank you

Re: Leaking Cast Iron

we could use some pics you may be able to get away with just repacking the lead in the hub or it may need to be changed... who knows we could really use some pictures or maybe a better description

Comment

A word about OLD C.I. vents. THEY don't get water like drains [ little rain,now and then ].
      They dry out and crumble,fracture, before the waste do. How does a carpenter know so much about plumbing ?????????
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How are we so sure that it is really a vent?? we are just assuming based upon the posters language hence the reason I asked for a photo Tool. It may or may not be a vent pipe, perhaps it is the stack from the second floor! It may not even neccessarily be CI, I am not knocking the poster but we really dont know how much he really does know!

Comment

I know,He did say vent . Generally,We get little info from homeowners. the dry stack May help someone else. In S.F. We have a lot of C.I. Last Cast I demoed the vents fell apart.
          We've got younger guys that have never worked on cast.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ajdsad View Post
            Hi I'm new to the site and need some suggestions. I have a fifty year old home in south Texas and just noticed that the CI vent pipe (which the bathroom sink dumps into) is leaking at the 90 fitting that connects to the main drop. The weird thing is that the leak is at the top end where the vent pipe comes into the 90. So I'm thinking the pipe is some what clogged and holding water before its able to drain,although we haven't had any issues with the plumbing. Any suggestions to stop the leak until a replacement can be done?
            Thank you
            Just replace it. The last 4" cast-iron vent stack with a lavatory waste I arm that I worked on was in horrible condition. The lavatory waste had created a large mass of rust inside the pipe which completely clogged it up. I should have taken a picture after I cut it out, it was awful looking inside. Just hire a plumber to replace it ASAP, forget about temporary repairs.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              Just replace it. The last 4" cast-iron vent stack with a lavatory waste I arm that I worked on was in horrible condition. The lavatory waste had created a large mass of rust inside the pipe which completely clogged it up. I should have taken a picture after I cut it out, it was awful looking inside. Just hire a plumber to replace it ASAP, forget about temporary repairs.
              Let me be a little picky here It probably was not a vent stack but a stack vent. There is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                Let me be a little picky here It probably was not a vent stack but a stack vent. There is a difference.
                I don't know the difference, I am just a dirty service guy.

Comment

I'm not a plumber but I'm pretty sure its CI and that its a vent pipe cause it goes up through the attic and VENTS into the air. Is there a wrap or some sort of puddy I can use as a temporary fix?

Comment

Just curious is there a bath above this one ? Single story?

Comment

Call a recommended plumber and you'll have it fixed before you can even post pics! Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ajdsad View Post
                        Is there a wrap or some sort of puddy I can use as a temporary fix?
                        No, just fix it properly. We get mad when we get to a house to do a repair and there are 30 rolls of duck tape on the pipe and gobs of silicone and all that crap...you may even get charged extra for removing that junk!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          I don't know the difference, I am just a dirty service guy.
                          A Vent Stack is for venting only. A Stack Vent is a vent only from the point where the highest branch connection is made. Below that point it is a waste stack or soil stack (these are unique components of a drainage system too).

Stack Vent:
                          The extension of a soil or waste stack above the highest horizontal drain connected to the stack.

Stack Venting:
                          A method of venting a fixture or fixtures through the soil or waste stack.
                          Vent Stack:
                          A vertical vent pipe that extends through one or more stories and that is intended to provide circulation of air to and from the drainage system.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Single.

Comment

Is this something a DIYer could tackle? With adequate research and a measure of confidence of coarse.

Comment

Working...
                              X