Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dryer Duct

Originally posted by Willyvictor View Post
    They go through the roof all the time in Texas, and it don't work too well.

Willy
    What types of problems are they having.I can see if they try to go too high on the vertical.The ones that fail on roof exhausts are usually over twenty feet of rise.

Comment

I would keep it simple straight run through the garage, core drill through the brick for the vent. Easy access, less work, less material. Either way it has to be cleaned out from time to time. No rises and no turns to worry about.
      The Other Rick

Comment

Use a 1/2" roto hammer bit ,cut a circle about 4 1/4" around. chisel the brick out and install
        vent.. In all the time we've jawed over this You could,ve done 3 of them.
        ROOF IDEA SUCKS!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Use a 1/2" roto hammer bit ,cut a circle about 4 1/4" around. chisel the brick out and install
          ROOF IDEA SUCKS!
          Kinda sucks for the hundreds of thousands of homes built down here with them going up an enclosed wall.
          One good thing going exposed across the wall,you'll have somewhere cool to put your mousetrap.

Comment

Thats" right Dirty. Our Eichler has w d on interior wall. Ones a year I take my weed blower
            to clean. Looks like Christmas. Wish I had His option
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My dryer is backed up to an inside wall and the only way to get it to the garrage. The builder chose to cut the hole for the pipe in the wall that is a right angle to the inside wall. This means that the duct connection to the dryer must be a right angle to get to the wall of the garrage. It would have been nice if the idiot had run the duct another way but now I can't do anything but try to get arround the builders stupidy (or just a way to save money) and take your advise to determine how to correct it.
              I sure waited a long time but I had built a large box to trap the lint but with my stupidy didn't think of the water.
              All of you are very helpful and I thank you very much. I will report when it is finished. I would have taken pictures to show but I would have to clean the garrage and with 100 to 105 temp outside I put that off for cooler weather. I am following one suggestion made earlier to run a fan and have the garrage door open when running the dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                ROOF IDEA SUCKS!
                Yeah I'm sure adding another 20' of pipe and 4 more ells would be much more better. I run dryer vents on every new house I work on. If theres no other way to vent the dryer but penetrating the roof, thats what I do. Its not my fault if the house was designed by Curly Moe and Larry. ALL dryer vents require maintenance. So for me the shortest and straightest way possible whether it goes up, down, or sideways is the way all my dryers get vented.

Andy

Comment

Rud, did you read the post?? He said 25 ft. either way!

Comment

you don't want to take it to the roof, the dryer blower wears out to fast,and moisture runs back down the vent,lint gets built up at the bottom. is not a good idea
                    shall not excede a total combined horizontal and vertical lenght of-
                    14ft max with 2-90's minus 2ft per 90 after that. a 6ft flex may be used in connection with the 14ft exhaust system.
                    according to the 2000 umc [uniform mechanical code]
                    no screws to be used. the piping must be installed with the pipe ends
                    running with the flow as a durham system

a dryer in actuallality, needs to be on the outside wall
                    Last edited by frodo; 08-18-2008, 04:44 PM.
                    I like it like that !
                    and, It's like that now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by harrison2119 View Post
                      My dryer is backed up to an inside wall and the only way to get it to the garrage. The builder chose to cut the hole for the pipe in the wall that is a right angle to the inside wall. This means that the duct connection to the dryer must be a right angle to get to the wall of the garrage. It would have been nice if the idiot had run the duct another way but now I can't do anything but try to get arround the builders stupidy (or just a way to save money) and take your advise to determine how to correct it.
                      I sure waited a long time but I had built a large box to trap the lint but with my stupidy didn't think of the water.
                      All of you are very helpful and I thank you very much. I will report when it is finished. I would have taken pictures to show but I would have to clean the garrage and with 100 to 105 temp outside I put that off for cooler weather. [/I am following one suggestion made earlier to run a fan and have the garrage door open when running the dryer.
                      ]/
                      if you use a fan, heres your specs the 2000 umc
                      fans in systems handling materal that are likely to clog the blades,
                      shall be of the radial-blade or tube-axial-type
                      I like it like that !

Comment

in mississippi, they install a 4in pvc under the slab. terminate it butted up to the form. on trim cut duct tape and install a dryer cap.
                        inside the pvc is 90 up in the corner, of the dryer space. just drop the flex in the hole. once a year run a rag up the pipe to clean.
                        i like that leaf blower trick, will use it thanks

I AGREE THAT RUN TO THE ROOF SUCKS ITS F'N WRONG
                        I like it like that !

Comment

Thank all of you for the help. It turns out the only way to run the duct without a large cost is straight across the floor of the garrage at the back wall and out the brick wall. I don't have the tools to cut the hole so I will pay someone to cut the hole and I can run the duct.
                          Again thanks for the help.
                          James

Comment

I would just put a nylon sock over it and keep a window cracked.
                            Show Me The Money

Comment

I can think of a better place for the sock.
                              sigpic

Comment

Can't do that in Richardson, Tx. Have to be vented to the outside.My house was new when I bought it in 74 and they didn't have to worry about that then. Also it vents into the garrage where I have my work shop and the humidity it creates rusts tools and makes it very hot in the garrage. That is why I started this vent discussion. I have been operating it vented into a 2ft square box that has fine mesh screen wire on three sides and this kept the lint down.

Comment

Working...
                                X