X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer Duct

My dryer is ducted to the garage and causes me much problem with rust on my tools and also makes it very hot to work when it is on.
    The present duct is in the wall of the garrage only 2 feet from the dryer.I have two options on how to run the new duct.
    1. I can run the duct from the wall where it enters the garrage along the back wall and over to the west wall of the garrage and then I will have to cut through brick venieer to install a vent.
    2. I can run the duct up into the attic above and over to the west wall and out through siding. I would have to be careful to make the turns no more than 45 degrees.

The total run would be no more than 25 feet for either method.
    The problem with option 1 is that I will have to move the storage cabinets out from the wall to make room for the duct, which is not really a biggie.
    I have seen (on line) a fan that can be installed on the duct that will assist the one in the dryer. The motor is turned on by air movement over the blades and the motor is not in the airflow.
    Do any of you have suggestions.
    Thanks James

Re: Dryer Duct

That's insane,and against the law!! Your dumping many gallons of water into the garage!
    Check for mold. The journal of light const. Featured a large lawsuit on this years ago.A post and beam home was torn down in Vermont. It was only 5 years old. there were many other factors involved. No more than 6 ft of flex pipe,rest solid.No screws through pipe to catch lint. Keep run short as possible
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I did not know about the law. This method is done all over this area. My house was built in1974 but my sisters (built in 2007) has it done the same way and they are in a different state.

Comment

That's unhealthy at best.Your dumping 100s of gallons of water in Your structure over time.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Question: Would you take a garden hose and spray water all over your garage? I'm sure the answer is NO WAY. Well, a dryer vented into a garage is like giving your garage a spraying of hot water / steam when the dryer is running. That moisture is rotting your home away.

A dryer must be vented outdoors. I would suggest calling an HVAC contractor. A good quality galvanized 4" flue pipe works well for dryers and be sure all elbows (45 or 90) are wide sweeping type. Please do NOT use flex hose. It's just not safe.

You need it installed so it can be cleaned out regularly too. NO half @$$ work. Keep it as short and direct as you can. Be sure to install a bird resistant magnetic flapper vent kit outside.

There are too many serious problems that result where people have poor, unsafe dryer venting. Get a good contractor to help.

For now try to run the dryer only one day per week and blow the garage out with strong fans. You must get all the steam out of there and keep on blowing it for a full hour after the last load is done.

WARNING: If you have a gas fired dryer you're venting TOXIC fumes into your garage.
          Last edited by Woussko; 08-15-2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I snaked a line back in the winter and I noticed how warm the mud room was. The owner proudly told me how he dissconnected the dryer vent and put pantyhose on the duct and let this blow in the room so he doesn't waste the heat. Well, he didn't lose the heat but he had all kinds of black mold behind his dryer. He got a sick look on his face when I showed this to him.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              I snaked a line back in the winter and I noticed how warm the mud room was. The owner proudly told me how he dissconnected the dryer vent and put pantyhose on the duct and let this blow in the room so he doesn't waste the heat. Well, he didn't lose the heat but he had all kinds of black mold behind his dryer. He got a sick look on his face when I showed this to him.
              You can even find products which do this so you don't lose the heat and moisture.

At the risk of being called a hack (remember to the OP, I have no experience). I wouldn't overanalyze this. Figure out how to do the shortest run you can considering elbows, buy straight ducting from HD, connect it with tape (not screws) and make it go outside your house. Even if you are missing the 25' boundary by a bit (which of course you need to use your judgement on); your situation will be a lot better/safer than it is right now.

Also, don't be tempted by the ease of flexible duct. I replaced the one in my house a couple of months after I moved in; and it was absolutely full of lint. I used straight duct in my basement ceiling (13') an elbow in the laundry room. I did cheap out and use then the flex duct from the elbow (at 4' high) to the connection on the bottom of the dryer; but that is easy to replace whenever you replace the dryer.

Comment

Guess you can't blame people too much for trying to save some of that energy going to waste. I understand the danger of venting indoors. It's too bad there is not an efficient way to capture that waste heat and channel the moisture outside where it needs to go.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Guess you can't blame people too much for trying to save some of that energy going to waste. I understand the danger of venting indoors. It's too bad there is not an efficient way to capture that waste heat and channel the moisture outside where it needs to go.
                  Another really big waste is hot water down the drain.

Comment

Why not take it to the roof with a 636 Broan roof vent?

Andy

Comment

WELL, Maybe He has a black roof and doesn't want a " of white snow up there

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        WELL, Maybe He has a black roof and doesn't want a " of white snow up there
                        Yeah, all that lint would look great huh?
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

in cali a dryer duct that has negitive grade (going up through roof) and not assisted by a inline blower is a major code violation... and fire hazard

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                            in cali a dryer duct that has negitive grade (going up through roof) and not assisted by a inline blower is a major code violation... and fire hazard
                            I've not seen nor heard of this in my area.What jurisdiction?

Comment

i dont know any inspector in the bay area that will pass a dryer duct going through roof without blower.. big fire hazard

Comment

Working...
                              X