No announcement yet.

Replacement Toilet Tank Inards

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Toilet Tank Inards

I'd appreciate some advice, please.

My toilet tanks has started leaking slightly, again. I changed all the guts about 3 years ago with parts from Home Depot. I had installed new parts about 3 years before that.

So, I'd like to do it right this time, and use the best parts I can find. Are there repalcement kits that are high quality or are this things designed to be replaced often?

Thanks for any help.
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Re: Replacement Toilet Tank Inards

Could it be condensation? Any idea where it is leaking from?
    If it is just the tank bolts they may need to be tightened a bit or you can replace the rubber washers under the screw heads.

Hard water can shorten the life of rubber parts. If you have a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve, it can be repaired in about 30 seconds with a new rubber seal for about $2. Flappers also get hard and leaky. New flapper...about $5. Not necessary to buy a "complete repair kit". Too much work. You don't need to change out the complete flush valve or fill valve....just repair what you have.

If you put any of those "blue" cleaners in your toilet tank, they are extremely harsh on the rubber parts and will shorten the life considerably.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's the flapper, I'll change that first.
        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

a flapper is a very basic part that will eventually fail. the rubber does break down in water and excess chlorine and chlorimines.

i always use a dye/ food coloring to test a new flapper. it's cheep insurance to verify that the flapper is holding and you don't end up with a mystery fill/ flush after you leave.

very simple. after replacing the flapper. flush a couple times to test for proper chain adjustment.

once you know it operates properly then add a few drops/ dye pill. to the tank after the toilet has flushed and is beginning to refill. make sure the flapper has already closed.

wait 10 minutes or less.
          if the water in the bowl turns to the color of the tank water, then the flapper, flush valve has a leak. make sure that the refill tube is not pushed into the overflow pipe more than 1/2'' or it can siphon.

since you live there, you'll hear a phantom flush/ refill if you have a leak.

for me, it's a cheap and simple way to test. i typically will do a toilet repair first and take care of the other issues while the dye does its thing.

phoebe it is