X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water proofing a tub shower combo.

My contractor is about to install a new tub/shower combo. He claims that insalling greenboard, then R-30 paper, then Thin-set, next the tile, and finishing up with a sealer will be water-proof. Is he yanking my chain? I need advice before I go creating another mess that I'll have to fix again.

Re: Water proofing a tub shower combo.

Originally posted by johnmackendrick@yahoo.com View Post
    My contractor is about to install a new tub/shower combo. He claims that insalling greenboard, then R-30 paper, then Thin-set, next the tile, and finishing up with a sealer will be water-proof. Is he yanking my chain? I need advice before I go creating another mess that I'll have to fix again.
    There is no way in the world I would ever use a contractor who recommends greenboard as a substrate. Even the drywall manufacturers now say not to use greenboard as a substrate. When properly installed it can work but I have just seen too many which have failed and they never fail just a little bit.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by johnmackendrick@yahoo.com View Post
      WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS IDIOT!!!!!!

Especially in the Palisades.
      Please don't tell me you went with the lowest bid.Does this guy even speak english.What are his first three numbers on his contractors license.You're in big trouble if this is any sign of his knowledge and experience.I've told friends before to dump a guy before it gets worse.They did not listen.Ends up costing enourmous resources if not nipped in the bud.
      This is bad.

Comment

A little bit of a thread hijack. If you do have a tub/shower that is leaking [like mine], is there any kind of sealant that can go over the grout/tile? I did caulk around the bottom and that helped quite a bit, but there is still some water that makes it through. I know it isn't a plumbing problem, because if I run the shower without a person there is no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          A little bit of a thread hijack. If you do have a tub/shower that is leaking [like mine], is there any kind of sealant that can go over the grout/tile? I did caulk around the bottom and that helped quite a bit, but there is still some water that makes it through. I know it isn't a plumbing problem, because if I run the shower without a person there is no problem.
          Is it leaking through the fixtures or tub's overflow plate?

Comment

What is so hard about using cement board that your contractor wants to use sheetrock instead?
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              What is so hard about using cement board that your contractor wants to use sheetrock instead?
              He can't afford a screwdriver to screw it to the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS IDIOT!!!!!!

Especially in the Palisades.
                Please don't tell me you went with the lowest bid.Does this guy even speak english.What are his first three numbers on his contractors license.You're in big trouble if this is any sign of his knowledge and experience.I've told friends before to dump a guy before it gets worse.They did not listen.Ends up costing enourmous resources if not nipped in the bud.
                This is bad.
                Subtle as a brick
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  He can't afford a screwdriver to screw it to the wall.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

By R30, do you mean 30 pound roof felt? I don't know how you would get tile to stick to that! One way to do tile is to put a mortar bed ( not thinset) over mesh wire attached to black felt. This takes a good deal of skill, and is not the best method for a do it yourself job. Cement board or the new Ditra systems are more friendly. Just do your homework so the work is done correctly.

For reference on tile work, I always use the Ceramic Tile Handbook by the Tile Council of America ( www.tileusa.com) and the American National Standard Specifications for the Installation of Ceramic Tile ( one handbook..ANSI A108,A118,A136). Both of these are quite detailed, but you can get the gyst of what it takes to do a good system. What your guy proposes sound quite unsatisfactory, unless he is leaving out some details.

Both the books I mentioned are not expensive, and are available on line, also possibly at local book stores or Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Subtle as a brick
                      Don't forget it.And just as smart.

Comment

You need to find a licensed contractor that uses the Schluter-Kerdi waterproof membrane system.

wookie

Comment

Never green board, and it's illegal on bath ceilings in Sf. I use 30 lb felt [tar paper] over studs. Plastic roof cement around penetrations,and over staples. dura bd. or wonder board screwed with epoxy coated screws. Seams taped with fiberglass tape. Please don't let this person in Your home! P.S. Is He from N.Y.?????
                          Isn't Schluter Kerti a sausage co. ???????
                          Last edited by toolaholic; 08-19-2008, 01:06 AM.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Never green board, and it's illegal on bath ceilings in Sf. I use 30 lb felt [tar paper] over studs. Plastic roof cement around penetrations,and over staples. dura bd. or wonder board screwed with epoxy coated screws. Seams taped with fiberglass tape. Please don't let this person in Your home! P.S. Is He from N.Y.?????
                            Isn't Schluter Kerti a sausage co. ???????
                            I always figured you were an expert on sausage

Comment

Hey Toolaholic I sure hope you're joking

wookie

Comment

Working...
                              X