Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using old ferrule and nut with new angle stop valve

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    Wow, I missed this thread simply because the title of it was uninteresting. Another DIYer with a basic question. But it turned quickly into a heated debate.....HOW ON EARTH WAS I NOT IN ON THIS ONE?

So to make up for lost time....brass ferrules are extremely explosive and working on them is regarded as highly dangerous radioactive work, only to be done by certified master plumbers of the 12th degree black belt variety.

....NOT! I don't see a problem with helping a lady change a nut and ferrule, nobody is forced to give advice, but I see nothing wrong with giving advice on a minor repair like this.

Both sides of this arguement are valid. I just can't believe that it is still getting aired out over and over and over. I showed up late too, but really it's a homeowners right to flood there own house if they want to isn't it? I mean if we put the nut and ferrill on, and it blows out, it's our insurance. If she does it, it's her own insurance.

That happens usually ONCE to a DIYer w/ plumbing, and then they're not so much of a DIYer anymore. I hear that ALL THE TIME. "I'll mess w/ electrical, but not plumbing ever since...." Electricians probably hear the same thing in their trade about us. She's not plumbing her house. She's replacing a stop. Truly, if she gets the same brand, she could just replace the stem and not even mess with the nut and ferrill.
    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I guess too many crawlspaces and too many years have made us bitter
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        I am licensed to do My own Plumbing in My state,and I allways will.
        I could give a flying Fk what YOU or anyone else thinks. Is that clear enough!
        A frikken WILD MAN.Can't wait to meet you.I'm honestly thinking about making up a northern road trip with some of the southies to hit you up.Who knows probably pick up a wood or two on the way.

Comment

Sorry You missed My drinking days, I'm mild these days. Anytime You head north the steaks are on Me. Tool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Oh, I was a total sweetheart back in my cups, just stopped because the bartender no longer needed me after his kid graduated college.

Comment

Sorry You missed My drinking days, I'm mild these days. Anytime You head north the steaks are on Me. Tool
              We'll bring up some of this Bouquett Root Beer they got down here.

No appoligies neccessary on missing your drinking days.You and me drunk in the same vicinity.Lights and sirens on their way for sure.Glad those days are over for us.
              ADAM

Comment

If it wasnt for beer.... Plumbers would rule the WORLD!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  Oh, I was a total sweetheart back in my cups, just stopped because the bartender no longer needed me after his kid graduated college.
                  One bar alone I figured I dumped an easy 20,000 into over a three year period in the late 80's.
                  To say the least all the other frequented watering holes the other nights of the week up until a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    One bar alone I figured I dumped an easy 20,000 into over a three year period in the late 80's.
                    To say the least all the other frequented watering holes the other nights of the week up until a few years ago.

Chasin' women or drinkin' al kee hol?
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Oh,and for the record.
                      I come for help and help others in return.Makes me feel good.
                      (and get to talk a little trash on the way)

Simple jobs that I feel are not over the homeowners head I'll give a hand.
                      Tell a flipper how to make more money no.
                      If I feel they are telling the truth I'll help others with a lot.

Burn me and I freak.

Comment

So is this offer good for me too?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

At an average of 18-20 16 oz drafties per night (thats two gallons a night), 3 nights a week, with a $1 tip per beer (to ensure favoritism at last call) plus the occasional shot.

Looks like we had the same expenses.
                          Last edited by DuckButter; 08-18-2008, 09:42 PM. Reason: edited to pg-13

Comment

We'll bring up some of this Bouquett Root Beer they got down here.

No appoligies neccessary on missing your drinking days.You and me drunk in the same vicinity.Lights and sirens on their way for sure.Glad those days are over for us.
                            ADAM
                            How can I miss them when they won't go away?
                            sigpic

Comment

For those who do not like or feel comfortable with giving DIY help please feel free to stay out of the Ask the Plumbing Expert Forum. For those who feel comfortable with giving DIY advise in the Ask the Plumbing Expert Forum please continue doing what you are doing. It is clear the intent of the Forum is for people to ask plumber's question. Your free agency allows you the ability to ignore this forum if you disagree with it.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                For those who do not like or feel comfortable with giving DIY help please feel free to stay out of the Ask the Plumbing Expert Forum. For those who feel comfortable with giving DIY advise in the Ask the Plumbing Expert Forum please continue doing what you are doing. It is clear the intent of the Forum is for people to ask plumber's question. Your free agency allows you the ability to ignore this forum if you disagree with it.

Mark
                                This makes perfect sense to me.

I'll respect this rule.
                                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                                X