X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using old ferrule and nut with new angle stop valve

Hi! I just removed the leaking angle stop valve for my toilet and need to put on a new one. I have read on different forums that it is okay to use the old ferrule and nut left on my copper tube. My questions are how do I get the new ferrule and nut off of my new angle stop valve I just bought; and should I put some kind of sealer around the old ferrule when I put the new valve on?

Thanks so much for your time in considering my questions.

Re: Using old ferrule and nut with new angle stop valve

I may have answered my own question in the previous post about how to remove the ferrule & nut from new angle stop valve, but would truly appreciate your input since I haven't read anything about this other product in the forums.

I ran across the product while still searching for answers:

ACCOR Technology’s new
    FlowTite
    R-SERIESsupply stop

Have any of ya'll used this product and/or have an opinion on it?

Comment

Buy a mini hack saw, also known as a cheese saw and cut the old ferrell off.

Now that it's off, take a piece of sand paper to the copper and shine it up, like a brand new penny from the U.S. Mint. Then take the old, probaly shitty looking escutcheon off.

Now, put a new escutcheon on, new nut, new ferrell with a tad bit of pipe dope on it, and new valve, with a tad bit of pipe dope on the threads, and tighten it down.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Hey Aaron, don't you got one them fancy cutters what takes the ferrule offen the pipe? Rick's got 2
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2pedals View Post
          I may have answered my own question in the previous post about how to remove the ferrule & nut from new angle stop valve, but would truly appreciate your input since I haven't read anything about this other product in the forums.

I ran across the product while still searching for answers:

ACCOR Technology’s new
          FlowTite
          R-SERIESsupply stop

Have any of ya'll used this product and/or have an opinion on it?

Oh.........I do.

I just can't remember the name of the thread.

But somebody came onto this board toting that what you linked was the fah-shizzle and that there's nothing wrong with them, and that's truly inaccurrate.

They work great initially but the down the road scenario is never good. Plastic breaks easily when it's been heated and cooled thousands of times and no one can change that fact.

When I find that posting I'll link it to you.

Being that you're a pharmacist, I'll put it to you this way.

You get all your blood pressure meds from well known sources here in the United States. But this "new" company offers the same exact med for a 1/3 less, still touting the same chemical composition.

Like fish in the sea, there's always a catch.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

NH- I do, but I wouldn't suggest a homeowner buying one to only use it once.

Then the tube might stretch on them, making the job take even longer.
            Last edited by Aaron91; 08-17-2008, 06:40 PM. Reason: I called copper 'pipe', changed to 'tube'.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

My god man. Let a brother plumber make a living. A Pharmacist? Compare the average salary of a plumber vs. a pharmacist.

Call a plumber.

J.C.

Comment

J.C.

You've never changed your own brakes, or painted your own walls, or done your own landscaping?

Just curious.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

No.

J.C.

Comment

Aaron. I can't lie to you. Yes. But paint and landscaping are low risk. (No smarta$$es saying you could stick a shovel in a gasline. )
                    Brakes. Yes. But I feel I have a mechanical feel based on years of experience to be more detailed than say.... your average art dealer when working with mechanical things.

What is the experience of the OP in matters such as these? Sometimes we quickly offer advice without asking the right questions. I don't recall anyone asking about this persons capability before offering advice. I'm probably guilty of doing it in the past also.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the helpful and entertaining replies. I have found talking about the problem is so much more fun than actually dealing with it.

Now that I am certain it would be best to have a new set up instead of using the old ferrule and nut; what is the minimum amount of copper pipe I should have sticking out of my wall before I cut the end off?

I think I probably have enough pipe, but I'm not sure. I am still curious to know how one goes about using the old ferrule & nut along with a new stop valve ... can you buy one without the ferrule and nut on it? I'm curious to the extent I have enough pipe ... maybe I should be worried

BTW, I have one of those cheese cutters ... I used it to saw through that stuck 3rd tank bolt off my commode tank so I can paint behind it, which is what started this whole thing anyway (needing to paint). I couldn't turn my water off at the toilet so I had to turn it off at the street, and I'm tired of doing all this messy work without any water so I'm trying to get things fixed where I can turn the water off at the toilet like I ought to be able to do.

Thanks again for your time & help!

Comment

Sorry JC, but I undertook this task with the understanding that a person could do it herself and I am determined to finish it. So far that's been true 'til this stuck ferrule thing ... If I mess it up I'll have to call the plumber then that's for sure.

I am very appreciative of the generous nature of the others who are willing to share their knowledge and experience on this forum.

Comment

If you want to get the new ferrule and nut off the new stop:
                          1) unscrew the nut.
                          2) allow the ferrule to fall off.

If you want to use the new ferrule and nut:

1) buy a handle puller with an insert for pulling ferrules.
                          2) Use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                            J.C.

You've never changed your own brakes, or painted your own walls, or done your own landscaping?

Just curious.
                            I do.

I NEVER expect a mechanic to help with advice though.

He's a pharmacist, he makes twice what we make.

Comment

How much a person makes, has nothing to do with if they have the ability to complete the task properly or not.

Now, if this was running a new gas line, I would agree with you guys. Some of you guys toot your own horns to much.

J.C.

Are you A.S.E. certified? If not, according to your own views, your a automotive hack taking work away from A.S.E. certified individuals.
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                              X