X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen Shower Control Balance Spool

I need to deal with the Balance Spool (#1423) on my Moen control.

I am getting a great flow of cold but very little hot. I have changed the control cylinder but no change.

The person at Moen told me to remove it, soak it in 50/50 vinegar and water overnight. Then tap it on a hard surface till I can hear the sound like a marble moving in it.

Is CLR better than vinegar and water?

Are there any issues regarding the removal of the spool that I should know about before starting?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Moen Shower Control Balance Spool

CLR is fine, I've even used stronger but I don't usually have overnight. Just don't do this on a Friday afternoon, then figure on getting a plumber when it doesn't go back together right. And rinse the spool good before putting it back together.

If you don't get it back together exactly as you got it apart, you'll have issues, so pay attention. I wouldn't normally recommend this as a do-it-yourself type job, but if you're comfortable with it than more power to you.
    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

i would also blow that hot line out. turn the water on while the valve is apart. hold a rag over it while somebody turns the water on then off real quick. you might have some junk from your water heater, in there .
      sigpic
      30+ years as a plumber
      6 years in the Air Force

Comment

I assumed that this was a one piece unit that I could remove, soak and replace.... That's the drift I got from the Moen Support line.

Moen sell the Balance Spool for $74.40.

I have already installed a replacement cartridge in the shower control but it made no improvement.

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
        CLR is fine, I've even used stronger but I don't usually have overnight. Just don't do this on a Friday afternoon, then figure on getting a plumber when it doesn't go back together right. And rinse the spool good before putting it back together.

If you don't get it back together exactly as you got it apart, you'll have issues, so pay attention. I wouldn't normally recommend this as a do-it-yourself type job, but if you're comfortable with it than more power to you.

Comment

Good suggestion! Thanks

Originally posted by frodo View Post
          i would also blow that hot line out. turn the water on while the valve is apart. hold a rag over it while somebody turns the water on then off real quick. you might have some junk from your water heater, in there .

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBeam View Post
            I assumed that this was a one piece unit that I could remove, soak and replace.... That's the drift I got from the Moen Support line.

Moen sell the Balance Spool for $74.40.

I have already installed a replacement cartridge in the shower control but it made no improvement.
            I was thinking of the cartridges that have the spool built into it, like Delta does. Now I think about it, Moenhas a spool might be under a cap with a large screwdriver slot on it. If that's the case, it should be pretty easy.
            I thought it was in the cartridge though, so if you already replaced that then it's not the problem.

Comment

Yes, the Moen Balance Spool has the screwdriver slot.

I was thinking of the cartridges that have the spool built into it, like Delta does. Now I think about it, Moenhas a spool might be under a cap with a large screwdriver slot on it. If that's the case, it should be pretty easy.
              I thought it was in the cartridge though, so if you already replaced that then it's not the problem.

Comment

Then you should be able to get to it OK for cleaning. Use a good screwdriver of proper size. The cap is brass and the grooves will strip pretty easily if it's on good.
                And you already know since you did the cartridge, but shut off the water and drop the pressure first.

Comment

Will do!

Thanks for the great information.

Then you should be able to get to it OK for cleaning. Use a good screwdriver of proper size. The cap is brass and the grooves will strip pretty easily if it's on good.
                  And you already know since you did the cartridge, but shut off the water and drop the pressure first.

Comment

If it doesn't free up, call the Moen customer Service back and they will probably send you one if you are the original owner. You are the original owner, right?

Comment

Take the carteidge out and turn on the hot water side to blow out the line.
                      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

i have a moentrol shower body that i replaced a cartridge on and only had hot water come out. i bought a new balancing spool but have been unable to get the old one out, i unscewed the large flat head but only part of the spool came out , i put it back in a couple of times but cant seem to get the whole balancing spool out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBeam View Post
                          I need to deal with the Balance Spool (#1423) on my Moen control.

I am getting a great flow of cold but very little hot. I have changed the control cylinder but no change.

The person at Moen told me to remove it, soak it in 50/50 vinegar propane in san bernadino and water overnight. Then tap it on a hard surface till I can hear the sound like a marble moving in it.

Is CLR better than vinegar and water?

Are there any issues regarding the removal of the spool that I should know about before starting?

Thanks in advance.
                          Yeah technically CLR would work.

Pick some up from Home Depot, I hate Lowes..
                          Last edited by Socal John; 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X