X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pressure off the chart!

My house is 20 years old. It goes through washers and seals like my kids through sugar.

I just replaced the wading and grommets on the washing machine cold water inlet, and master bath washer and grommets (for the 10th time) and got the brainstorm to check the pressure.

The gauge pegged at 100 psi max reading and was still climbing. I am including a picture of the meter.

Is this extra piece a regulator and how do I adjust it down? The neighbors meter doesn't have the extra module. Of course it rests right up against the meter box so I am sure will pose problems.
    Attached Files

Re: Water pressure off the chart!

i don't know what the that other thing is..?? maybe someone else would know.. i would just install a Pressure Reducing Valve on the main right before it enters your home ..

Comment

I don't even see the "other" thing?

All I see is a water meter

You probably just need a pressure reducing valve and an expansion tank on your water heater

Comment

Maybe that other thing is a screen. Get a plumber to install a pressure reducing valve. Sounds like it'll pay for itself.
        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

That is not a pressure reducing valve!! Have you plumber install one and go to bed with peace of mind!

Comment

Get a prv installed in the home and you wont ever change the washers again--its a pretty easy job-wont take very log at all

Comment

i am guessing it's a double check valve.

100# is not much over the 80# max. we're allowed without a pressure regulator.

chances are you need a pressure regulator and an expansion tank to compensate for the thermal expansion from the water heater and the possibility of having a closed system as the double check doesn't allow for a thermal expansion bypass

the only way your pressure will keep going up is thermal expansion. simple way to test is to put a pressure gage on the hot hose bibb and close the cold inlet to the heater. turn the thermostat up to cause the burner to kick on and watch the gage go up. at 150# the pressure relief valve will open. you can then check the cold water pressure from a hose bibb or laundry bibb. only the hot should have risen. not the cold.

make sure to lower the temperature back to normal and open the cold water valve.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

To me-this is a pic of a standard water meter box--thats it

Comment

RICK--HOPEFULLY NO HOMEOWNERS TRY THIS AND FORGET TO OPEN VALVES DUE TO BEING SIDETRACKED AND HOPEFULLY THE RELIEF OPENS OR------

IF THEY FORGET--REMEMBER THE PICS OF THE TANK THAT SHOT A BLOCK AWAY????

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i am guessing it's a double check valve.

100# is not much over the 80# max. we're allowed without a pressure regulator.

chances are you need a pressure regulator and an expansion tank to compensate for the thermal expansion from the water heater and the possibility of having a closed system as the double check doesn't allow for a thermal expansion bypass

the only way your pressure will keep going up is thermal expansion. simple way to test is to put a pressure gage on the hot hose bibb and close the cold inlet to the heater. turn the thermostat up to cause the burner to kick on and watch the gage go up. at 150# the pressure relief valve will open. you can then check the cold water pressure from a hose bibb or laundry bibb. only the hot should have risen. not the cold.

make sure to lower the temperature back to normal and open the cold water valve.

rick.
                    Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                    RICK--HOPEFULLY NO HOMEOWNERS TRY THIS AND FORGET TO OPEN VALVES DUE TO BEING SIDETRACKED AND HOPEFULLY THE RELIEF OPENS OR------

IF THEY FORGET--REMEMBER THE PICS OF THE TANK THAT SHOT A BLOCK AWAY????

MAYBE IF I TYPE IN CAPS AND BOLD PRINT, THE BLIND CAN READ MY LAST SENTENCE.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

We don't have the same EXACT water meter in our area,but close.
                      The difference is the direct Male street supply on one end and male house end. This one has a lower manifold and at the top of picture ,maybe house side, I see what appears to be a
                      pressure adjust knob. I'm guessing. Picture isn't that close. Someone in that area will tell Us ,I hope
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

much better rick

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I reattached the picture with a description to show the module I'm referring to. It looked to me like the center bolt is a lock bolt that will allow the outer hex piece to be adjusted. The outer hex piece is against the box and won't turn without some space.

That is if this was some kind of regulator. Seems from the responses that a PRV is what I need.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by petersenj20 View Post
                            Thanks for all the responses. I reattached the picture with a description to show the module I'm referring to. It looked to me like the center bolt is a lock bolt that will allow the outer hex piece to be adjusted. The outer hex piece is against the box and won't turn without some space.

That is if this was some kind of regulator. Seems from the responses that a PRV is what I need.
                            I believe the "outer hex piece" you are referring to is just the service yoke.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Is it possible to maybe get a better photo and brush off the crud laying on top so we might see a model number or name or something to help ID this. You could always call your water dept and ask them what the heck it is.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X