Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete clogging horizontal pipe

Hi,
    Can somebody help advice me on how to clear a pvc pipe that is clogged with concrete?
    I have recently moved to a new house, and I only found out about the clog when I poured a tub full of water, and we have tried the Drano type of anti-clog chemicals, but to no avail.
    We also tried poking the pipe as far as we can go with another pipe, there was a wall of something (we assume it is concrete) hard.
    Thank you for any advise anyone can provide me.
    Last edited by txexes; 08-22-2008, 03:20 AM.

Re: Concrete clogging horizontal pipe

You need to find a profesional that can camera the drain. Make SURE that You get a copy of a tape or cd. Jurys love movies!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Like toolaholic said, you need to call someone with a camera and make sure they can record the inspection with their equipment.

EDIT: I forgot about the jetter. LOL! Like Rick said, a jetter might work. Those things are pretty darn powerful! Sorry for jumping the gun.
      Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM.
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

is this a brand new home or a home that is new for you?

what has the seller or builder said about the issue?

a camera will help locate the issue and it's possible that you will have to dig it open.

i've had real good luck with a high pressure jetter.

a forward blasting nozzle will cut concrete.

check with the original builder/ seller for assistance.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

if you have a clean shot to the plug,
          We also tried poking the pipe as far as we can go with another pipe,
          is it possible to use a core bit on an extension to drill throught it or to cut it enough to break it up into secitons to remove it,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I saw that Ridgid makes a carbide blade for the K-60 that is for cement stoppages

Does anyone have experience using this type of cutter on cement?

I doubt many plumbers in Indonesia have a K-60

Comment

Originally posted by txexes View Post
              Hi,
              Can somebody help advice me on how to clear a pvc pipe that is clogged with concrete?
              I have recently moved to a new house, and I only found out about the clog when I poured a tub full of water, and we have tried the Drano type of anti-clog chemicals, but to no avail.
              We also tried poking the pipe as far as we can go with another pipe, there was a wall of something (we assume it is concrete) hard.
              Thank you for any advise anyone can provide me.
              Hello, I'm curious about Indonesian plumbing, could you post some pictures?
              Thanks Mike

Comment

Me tinks maybe yak hama
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                  Like toolaholic said, you need to call someone with a camera and make sure they can record the inspection with their equipment.

EDIT: I forgot about the jetter. LOL! Like Rick said, a jetter might work. Those things are pretty darn powerful! Sorry for jumping the gun.
                  I have used a hydrolaser to remove concrete from pipe, but it was from a 6" Sch 40 SS line, not PVC. Concrete got in the pipe during a pour and wasn't discovered until much later (over a year) when we were doing system testing. Worked it around the clock with a crew of three, took about 4 days to blast through all the concrete in there. We brought out about (6) 5 gallon buckets worth of concrete chunks. Chopping up the concrete floor to get to the pipe was NOT an option, pipe is buried inside a slab over 5 feet thick with #18 (2-1/4" dia.) rebar spaced about every 8".

Hydrolaser we used took a three man crew; one outside running the 12 cylinder piston pump driven by a 6 cly diesel motor, second guy operates the foot pedal, and one man on the hose. Everybody's in communication with one another using sound-powered phones. We ran about 10,000 PSI to cut the concrete IIRC, it was 1978. How many of you were even alive?
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I was just born in 78. How does a hydrolaser work?
                    Last edited by gear junkie; 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The thing your hitting.An elbow.Maybe the trap. Hire a professional drain cleaner and I suspect all will be just fine.
                      Last edited by Jay Mpls; 08-24-2008, 09:51 PM. Reason: oh,and....

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        I was just born. How does a hydrolaser work?
                        Sounds like a water jet CNC machine. Makes me want one so I can say "I'll just bring the Hydrolaser and use The Force."

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          I was just born in 78. How does a hydrolaser work?
                          Pretty much like a jetter I would guess (never having used one), but higher pressure and specialized heads with multiple nozzles, some pointed forward to do the cutting and some angled backward to pull the head into the line and scour the pipe walls as you pull it out. At 12K its all one man can do to hold it back. If it gets out of the pipe you are in big trouble, that's why the second man on the deadman footpedal who is set back from the work area about 25 feet or so, and the sound powered headphones to the man running the pump where the pressure is controlled. The head we used on that 6" pipe was about 3" in diameter and had something like 12 or 16 back jets and 5 forward.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

How would it get out of the pipe? Does this high pressure damage the walls of the pipe?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'll let you know the results of getting my situation cleared.

If that was concrete was less than 24 hours old, pouring coca-cola or pepsi down that drain would break that concrete up instantly.

Muriatic acid will as well, but dangerous.

When I poured concrete 56 years ago, if the concrete driver accidentally dripped concrete from the chute into the uprights of a ground rough *damn plumbers too cheap to buy gem caps* we would take our softdrinks and pour them down into the pipe to stop the bonding/hardening process.

Must of worked because the plumbers didn't complain on the finish.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X